Winged:part 1 | Teen Ink

Winged:part 1

January 19, 2011
By mjinwonderland BRONZE, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California
mjinwonderland BRONZE, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Bex shoved her books in her locker and daintily ran off the campus. She checked to make sure no one was watching, supernatural or human. She closed her eyes, focused on something happy in her mind, and flew.
To untrained eyes you would have seen a black thing swoop up from the ground and carry her into the air, but that wasn’t it at all. Black wings had sprouted from her slender back and she gracefully flew towards nothing in particular. Bex knew this was always the best time to think, so she sorted through her memories and remembered the night of her thirteenth birthday when she first found her unique abilities. It had been a perfect day and her adopted parents made sure of it, she wanted to end her special day staring at the stars in the backyard, clearing her head breathing fresh air. She closed her eyes and let all her problems fly away; it took her a second to realize she herself was literally flying away. She stared at the ground 15 feet below her and didn’t believe it, she panicked then fell immediately. Bex cupped her hand over her mouth to keep the scream trapped in her throat. Tears welled in her eyes and she dared to look at her surely broken ankle. She ran her fingers over the swollen lump and watched her ankle heal itself.
Bex snapped back to reality when she heard thunder and noticed gray clouds rolling in towards her. She flew higher and higher till she was above the clouds themselves, the sun’s rays touched her bare shoulders.
Bex focused on her target. She followed the strange instinct inside her leading her to someone or something in trouble. It lead her not that far away, maybe a few miles from her school, but Bex was in no hurry.
She felt whatever she was heading towards was near. She just started to slow down when she was violently pulled from the sky. She struggled to fly up or at least slow down, but her wings just crumpled under the force pulling her down.
Bex saw how fast the rocky ground was coming towards her, she had few seconds. She closed her eyes tight counted to five held her breath and braced for the painful impact.
Bex hit the ground with such force she created a small crater around her body. Any other person, that is a human, would have died or at least blacked out from pain…not Bex. She was lucky enough to feel the pain in full. She took a minute to assess the damage. Her body was twisted at such an angle her back was definitely shattered and her right knee mangled. She ran her fingertips over her knee, trying her hardest not to let a scream pass her lips, and it healed before her eyes. Her hands then reached to her back where she massaged her back as best she could to heal it.
Bex sat up for a few minutes; she slowly got up to her feet and focused on breathing in, then out and back in. She looked around to see where she had fallen. It was an empty field in the middle of nowhere. Jagged rocks poked up from the ground beneath her feet.
Bex caught her breath, the hair on her neck stood on end, and a cold chill ran up her spine. Bex turned around to face the powerful force that pulled her down.
“Of course,” Bex said flatly.
“Aw little sister you don’t have to be cruel,” her red curls framed her face making her ferocious green eyes seem even larger. Bex looked just like her sister except for Bex’s hair, which was black and shined with an almost blue gleam.
Though Bex and Lillian had a similar appearance, their personalities were complete opposites. While Bex embraced her gift with open arms and used it to help other people, Lillian was angry and bitter. She never physically hurt people, she just manipulated them to get what she wanted. She wasn’t completely evil, but Bex often had to clean up Lillian’s messes.
“Lillian I seriously do not have time for your games, just tell me what you want.”
“Oh, why would you assume I would play games with you?” Lillian said this with such innocence in her voice you could almost believe she was serious.
Bex just stared at her impatiently tapping her small foot on the ground.

“Okay fine, I’ll cut to the chase. Someone came into town yesterday…someone like us.”

Bex stood there for a moment, letting what Lillian had just informed her of.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I literally just saw her. Well this morning, that’s why I need to talk to you. Because, I think, I mean she looks like she could be… I think she....” Lillian let out a sigh before finishing her sentence. “-I think she’s our mother.”
* * *

After an intense questioning by Bex it was clear all Lillian had as proof, or even evidence, was a “gut feeling”.

Bex was flying again, heading to the place her alleged mother was staying. It was a small run down motel not too far from her house.
Bex neared the shabby buildings; she landed towards the back so if anyone was actually desperate enough to have to stay at this dump they wouldn’t see her.

She walked in her poised gait, passing the numbered doors till she got to the woman Lillian was talking about. 112, 113, 114. She stopped at the door of 114. She listened with her sharp ears trying to pick up sounds inside the room. She listened, careful not to make any noise.

She heard a woman on the phone.

“No, I haven’t seen them yet.” Pause. “Well I will be coming home soon no matter what the turnout is. Okay I love you too, bye Lillian.”
Bex knew it wasn’t her sister on the other line. Maybe the Lillian on the phone was a close friend…or a sister Bex thought. And if it was a sister or friend, that’s where Lillian could have been named after. She just shook her head, it was impossible; this woman simply wasn’t her mother.

As Bex turned away the door to the room flew open. Bex jumped, and immediately grew out her wings.

“Well, well. You just couldn’t resist checking. Could you?” She leaned against the faded blue doorway.

Bex slowly pulled her wings back in, she felt what Lillian was talking about, a strange sensation in her gut, drawing her to the woman.

“I’m sure you have many questions, but I simply don’t have time to answer all of them. I’m sure Lillian told you I am your mother, and she was right. Now you can choose to go peacefully with me inside, or I can make you. Which do you prefer?”

Bex slowly walked through the doorway and into the room. She turned around to see the woman before her. She had red hair and looked exactly Lillian. She was no more than 45 and beautiful.

“Hello Rebecca, my name is Monique. I wanted to meet you before I leave.”

“Um.” Bex didn’t know what to say. What could she say? “Uh, why…why are you leaving?”

“I’m going to Europe. It’s not safe here anymore, you should come with me.”

“Why isn’t it safe? And why should I drop everything in my life to come with you? I would have to leave my parents, my friends, my life.”

She turned away from me and headed to her bed where clothes and luggage was strung across bed spread. She started folding clothes and stuffed them into a bag.

“Just because, and those are not your parents. They’re human and you’re...” she hesitated, “Not,” she answered vaguely.

“I’m leaving tomorrow morning, you and your sister are welcome.

“I don’t understand…” Bex muttered.

“You don’t have too, all that matters is you know your options. If you come with me you’ll learn what you are.”
Bex gave one last glance to Monique, and walked out of the room. She flew into the air and soared to the destination she and Lillian were to meet.


Bex heard a shrill cry. And she knew only one person it could belong to.

Lillian.

Bex sped up and after three minutes that lasted an eternity she found a horse sized dog tearing at Lillian’s wings.

Bex landed and threw herself at the dog. Using her stronger than average arms, legs, and wings she latched onto the dog with her hands and fingers and kicked her knees into his ribs. The dog whined and she must have hurt him or at least annoyed him because he started to defend his side and reached over to bite her. This gave Lillian the distraction she needed to turn around and punch the dog’s head with all her strength. The dog fell over, not dead but wounded. Bex flew off the angry mutt and went over to Lillian.

“Watch this.” Lillian held out her hand, palm up, and a fiery sword rose up from it.

“How did you-“

The dog groaned and stood up. Lillian let out a cry and gripped her sword tight; she swung it towards the dog’s head but instead sliced his shoulder. He yelped but continued to bark and try to bite her hand.

Bex ran away from Lillian, trying to cause the dog’s attention to go to her. It worked and the dog’s head turned. Lillian raised her sword and successfully severed his body almost in half.

“Do you think that was what Monique was talking about?” Bex questioned her sister.

“I think that was part of it.”

Bex walked towards her sister and hugged her tight.

“Im scared,” she whispered.

Lillian wrapped her arms around her younger sister.

“Me too.”