lightening | Teen Ink

lightening

By tomtamtimmy GOLD, Sydney, Other
tomtamtimmy GOLD, Sydney, Other

you don't know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have

The sun was but a fragment of a disk huddled low in the west and the sky was quickly darkening. I walked over to a wooden park bench and sat slumped over. I slid my back pack off my shoulders and fiddled around inside with one hand until I found my water bottle. I took a deep gulp of the lukewarm water and sat back, staring at the sky while I idly scratched some graffiti off the flaking paint of the chair. I stared down at my hands. The skin was calloused and tough from years of urban exploring. I’ve seen the whole city. From the highest roof to the deepest sewer I’ve seen it all. My fingernails coated in dirt and my fingers, scratched and scarred. I sighed and flicked my right wrist back.
Lightening suddenly coiled around my fingers and cackling in the palm of my hand. I closed my hand into fist and then quickly opened it up again. I was now holding an orb of storms in my hand. I heard a woman scream and I closed my fist as quick as I could. A man in a beanie had a switch blade in his hand and was sticking up a woman.
I’ve had this power ever since the ‘accident’.
I was in a different city called new Sydney. I was walking in the town square when all of a sudden there was an explosion and a large dome of electricity was slowly getting bigger and bigger until it engulfed the whole city. And then just an explosion. I blacked out and I woke up hours?... maybe even days later. I didn’t have so much as a scratch on me but my surroundings had been vaporized. I soon found out that the bomb was called a super static charge. It sucks the life force out of many people and sucks it into one person. I was that person.
Until now I didn’t have a clue what to do with this power. I pretty much just used it to recharge batteries. But now it has a purpose.
I stand up, roll my shoulders and set my hands alive with crackling electricity and walked up to the man.
The last thing he saw that night was what looked like a blue rock hurtling towards his face.

inspired by the game infamous.