The Big Red Button | Teen Ink

The Big Red Button

December 7, 2010
By Stormyflight GOLD, Arlington, Ohio
Stormyflight GOLD, Arlington, Ohio
16 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
I finally admited God was God
-C.S Lewis
Humans are amphibous. Our spirit makes us eternal while the animal binds us to time.
-C.S Lewis


It was a simple action I suppose. I mean, we press buttons every day. Big buttons, on/off buttons, elevator buttons, you get the picture. This one, however, just happened to be red. It was a little cliché, sure. But it was real. It was not in a top secret military base, or hidden laboratory or some long forgotten fortress of solitude. It was sitting on the kitchen table of sixty five year old Eliot Renan. Gray hair, scarred knuckles, the typical middle aged war vet who had one too many cats and way too much time on his hands. The button was a present, from his old war buddy Jonny Vance. But old Jonny “Jet” Vance had died years ago in a war no one remembered. Not even Eliot.

Taped to the button was a piece of aged paper that read “You know what to do Eliot. It’s time we met our end of the deal,”

Eliot would recognize that chicken scratch handwriting anywhere. He looked at the button, and something pulled at his hand. It was gentle, a breeze playing across his skin. He didn’t know why, but it felt right. Time froze for a moment and the half a dozen cats watching suddenly wished they where someplace else. Eliot pressed the button.

And Everything Changed


The author's comments:
I have always enjoyed writing. Now its part of who I am. Please be as harsh in your criticism as possible, I need to know what I can fix. (this one is a cliff hanger, sorry) Thank you!