Where are you? | Teen Ink

Where are you?

October 16, 2010
By Sadallah BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan
Sadallah BRONZE, Livonia, Michigan
4 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
I may not always be right, but i am never wrong.


We all get lost from time to time, but what if you were so lost, that you could not find you way anywhere?
“Hello?” she asked.

“Hey, look, I’m really sorry about last night.”

“That’s ok, you know what, the only thing I remember was getting into the car.”

“Really? Me too… do you need me to go back into to town? I feel like we forgot , something.”

“No that’s ok; I’ll meet you back at camp.”

“Ok, see you soon.” And with that she quickly started to get back to camp. Hoping to be there before sunrise so that she may watch this beautiful part of nature with her boyfriend. However, by the time she got there the sun was already up and her boyfriend was missing. She thought maybe he went to go retrieve some water and would be back in a couple of minutes.

She went into the tent to grab some snacks when suddenly, music started playing from the radio they had set down next to the sleeping bags. She thought nothing of it and just turned it off. Assuming her boyfriend set an alarm.

“Where are you?” she heard come from nowhere.

“Hello!?!?” but there was no response.

She continued to wait until the sun cast over head, but there was still no sign of him. She was starting to think that he did go back into town to get whatever they had “forgotten”. When a deep blue Chevy Impala drove right on past. She thought it looked familiar but forgot about it really quickly because it is one of the most generic cars on the streets.

She started to drift off to sleep when suddenly her phone rings. “HELLO!”

“Hi”

“WHERE ARE YOU?!?!” he asked with an extremely livid tone.

“I’m at camp, sitting on the big rock behind the tent. Where are you?”

“I’m st- I’m standing in front of the tent.” When suddenly her phone mad an almost supernatural noise and shut off. She decided to look around for him hoping that at any moment he would jump out of the bushes and yell SURPRISE, but, no dice.

By the time she was so tired that it was hard just to stand up, she had searched every inch of the campsite, behind rocks, in caves, everywhere. But he was still nowhere to be seen.

“Hello” she answered into her phone.

“THANK GOD!”

“I have been looking for you for nearly 3 hours! Stop hiding this isn’t funny anymore.”

“I’m not hiding I am sitting right in front of the tent.”

“Oh really, because I don’t see you.”

“Well where are you?”

“I’m right behind the tent, just like I told you.”

“I still don’t see you… here come into the tent.” she stomped her way into the tent steaming mad.

“I don’t see you!” she shouted about to explode.

“I AM INSIDE THE TENT, LYING ON MY SLEEPING BAG.” She continued to look furiously. There was still not even a sign of him, like he had just disappeared, almost as if he was not alive anymore.

She was sobbing when she decided to go and take a walk to clear her head. The campsite was beautiful, almost perfect. She had just wished that her boyfriend was here to see this gorgeous part of the world. Outside of all the hustle and bustle in the big city.

There were trees of all different colors, deep green conifers, to an orange redwood, it was autumn after all and the trees were just beginning to change. The weird thing is, that all of the animals just ignored her, like she didn’t exist. She tried everything she could to get their attention. She even threw a rock at a squirrel, but it just kept on eating its nuts, only looking up for a second to see where the flying mineral had come from.

She started hear a car coming which had made no sense at all since she was in the middle of the forest. But there was no reason for her to stop and think about I, because after all, she was in a beautiful part of nature. Away from her boyfriend who had taken a practical joke one step too far. On this walk (aside from the animals ignoring her.) she felt like everything was right. She almost seemed to melt away into the night.

By the time she got back to the campsite it was extremely late, she turned her phone on to see what time it was. She had sixteen missed calls from her boyfriend. It was decided to ignore him and not return his calls.

“SCREEEECH” “What was that!” she asked, “It sounded like a car.” She decided to go investigate. Supplies were brought just in case anyone needed help.

She stepped closer and closer to the car. Each step feeling like she was wearing lead shackles. She had such a long day, if only she could just take a nap. With each step the car also seemed to look more familiar. “It must be that car I saw go past earlier” she whispered to herself.

There is nothing here for this car to hit, she thought to herself. As she finally took her last step up to the window, she realized who was in this car. Her boyfriend lay there in the driver’s seat, covered in blood, bruises, and opened wounds, the blood still gushing out of his neck, almost at a pulsing rate. And she lay there beside him.


The author's comments:
This is just an extremely rough draft so please offer me comments and ways to improve.