Dream | Teen Ink

Dream

August 22, 2010
By AelitaReloaded PLATINUM, Scottsdale, Arizona
AelitaReloaded PLATINUM, Scottsdale, Arizona
22 articles 0 photos 179 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The pen is mightier than the sword" author unknown (to me)


I tumbled. The sea of blackness below me overpowering. Into that sea I went. Willingly, I hurtled. Until my very consciousness was masked by the sea of blackness. I have taken this journey many times over. I wondered where it would take me today.

Out of the blue, I was in a room. I didn’t know how I had gotten there, but I didn’t question it. On these journeys I never questioned anything. The room was large, and in the room was a large feline figure with a glowing golden flank. The lion growls at me. I approach him, cautiously.

Then the lion changes. Now he is a towering emu. I hop atop the emu, and a glowing blue door appears. I ride the large bird through the door, and it leads me to a courtyard. Taking the birds reins in hand, I pull it to a halt. The courtyard has a small water fountain full of river rocks, and plants with large green leaves.

Koi swim through the fountain. The fountain grows. First it becomes a small stream, then a lake, then finally an ocean. The coy grow with the water. Stepping carefully off of the emu, quickly disappearing to the shallower end of the waters, I saddle onto the most beautiful of the koi. Deeper and deeper into the water we swim. Glass walls surround me in a kind of a sphere. The deeper I get into the water, the more peculiar things get. There are glass pebbles on the floor, and plants made of some odd synthetic material. My feet begin to get feathery fringes, gradually, they turn into elegant fins.

I swim side by side with my koi. It is only then that I realize where I am, as my hand reaches out to touch the strange plants. They are made of plastic. A large canister is held over the upside down dome. Hamburgers, french fries and pizza fall into the tank. The hand distributing them is human, but large. Almost inhuman.

I swim to the top of the glass bowl, and grow wings of a monarch butterfly. Flying high above the tiny fishbowl, My fingers sweep the clouds. They feel like cotton candy. I grab a piece, putting it in my mouth experimentally. It is cotton candy.

“Wake up,” a voice says, “It’s time to start your day!”


The author's comments:
This story is about the whimsy of dreams.