The Amazing Adventures of Gwen and Hob | Teen Ink

The Amazing Adventures of Gwen and Hob

May 1, 2010
By evrycloudyday7 PLATINUM, Wappingers Falls, New York
evrycloudyday7 PLATINUM, Wappingers Falls, New York
28 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
"As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what counts." Seneca
"I'll just read a book instead. I don't care if we're just friends. I can hang out with myself I'm old enough now to pretend. Bam ba dum ba dum ba dum." kate n


Gwen waited in anticipation by her wide window. She peered out into the starry night waiting eagerly for that flash of wild blonde hair to appear. He was late. Late usually meant trouble. Gwen bit her lip. A metallic taste seeped into her mouth as her teeth sunk further out of nerves. She plopped down onto her window seat with a anxious sigh. She stared out, hoping to see a pair of bright green, dancing eyes staring back at her. Blackness gaped at her, swallowing her vision. She rested her head on the window sill and closed her sky blue eyes while her fingers traced the cushion of the seat.. Her brown hair gently flowed across her shoulder.
BAM!

Gwen toppled off her seat, screaming. The window creaked open, and a blonde boy dashed in stealthily.

“Shush!” he urged as he pulled her up. “It's me!” Gwen's heart slowed down to a steady beat and she breathed.

“Let go, let go! I'm fine.” Gwen swatted his hand away and dusted herself off. “Are you trying to give me a heart attack? I'm surprised my window's not broken. A simple knock would have sufficed.”

“Would have what?” Hob gave her a quizzical look as he tousled his messy hair only to make it even more unkempt.

“Oh, never mind. Why are you late?” Gwen frowned.

“I had some difficulty as usual. But it's ok. I pulled it off.” He puffed his chest out proudly. Gwen punched him in the arm playfully, and Hob deflated with a laugh.

“So...” Gwen smiled excitedly unable to sit still any longer.

“So? I thought I'd just stop by for a visit.” Hob spread out on the window seat comfortably.

“Hob!” Gwen protested.

“Alright, kidding, kidding. Ready to go?” He leaped up with his bright green eyes dancing with enthusiasm.

“Yes!” Gwen grabbed the backpack she had packed that afternoon. It had the essentials- toothpaste; toothbrush; clothing; soap; a brush; water; fist aid kit; and oatmeal cookies (Hob's favorite). She marched off towards the window willing to take the leap of faith.

“Whoa, whoa. Not so fast.” Hob yanked her back by her backpack handle. Gwen whirled around and rolled her eyes. “Few house rules. No looking over the edge. No flash photography. No distracting the driver. And no...”

“M-kay, let's go!” Gwen knelt on the window seat and swung open the window, but Hob jumped in front of her view. He leaped from the edge fearlessly. Instead of falling two stories, his feet found solid ground- rickety ground- but quite solid. The stars smiled down on the little town, the light illuminating the clouds majestically as they passed by. Hob held his hand out for Gwen. Second thoughts filled her mind, but she blew them away with an imaginary kiss and leaped from the edge. Her hair brushed up against her face and air swooshed around her body. She felt airborne; she felt free. Her feet soon impacted the wooden surface, and it rocked under her feet. The boat swayed back and forth with the gentle waves of wind that swished by. Gwen situated herself on a wooden bench and watched Hob. He concentrated hard.

“Wind's strong enough. Prepare yourself; the wind is getting more powerful.” Just as the words escaped his lips a gust of wind rushed by, and the boat was thrown up into the midnight air. “Hold on!” Hob called as he hoisted the sail of the small boat. Gwen's stomach lurched. She held her scream in and grasped onto the ledge. Higher, higher, and higher they rose. The town shrunk and shrunk beneath them. The neighborhood's lights became twinkling fireflies in the far off distance and the air grew colder around them. Puffs of clouds kissed the sides of the boat as they sailed on. The boat continued to rock ominously as the wind carried them. Gwen took a couple deep breaths and peered over the edge. Mist was beneath them with the occasional specks of light peeking through from the town below. Midnight blue embraced them. Gwen looked out and spotted another boat in the distance.

“Hob-” she pointed in the direction of the boat.

“Oh yea. A lot of people go wind riding at this time.” He turned the wheel of the boat sharply, and they were hurled against the edge of the boat. “Sorry!” Gwen smiled. She couldn't believe it. It was finally happening. She was going to what Hob has been telling her about. It wasn't a fantasy story anymore. It was reality. She was finally going to see Hob's world.


The author's comments:
This is what my novel is based on. Almost. I changed a lot to make a cliff-hanger short story. The actual novel is not so lighthearted (I haven't finished it yet.)