The Best of Both Worlds. (Part I) | Teen Ink

The Best of Both Worlds. (Part I)

By nancyy. SILVER, Strawn, Texas
nancyy. SILVER, Strawn, Texas

With tears forming in her eyes, young Isabella sat outside looking at the starry sky. There were just some things that did not seem to make sense to her. She began to think out loud.

“Out of all the millions of people in the world, why is it that my family and I have to be the different ones?”

The Brigham family was indeed very different. Standing at approximately four inches tall, the family felt so out of place in such a big world. It was difficult for the family to get food and other acquired needs, due to their size. Most of the time, the family would sneak food from the local restaurants. After all, more than enough for the family was not enough that the restaurant would miss, or even notice was gone. Although they knew it was wrong to do so, they did not want to take the risk of exposing themselves.

The family lived in a cleared out, abandoned, tree stump, located at the local park. It wasn’t the nicest house, but Mr. Brigham did what he could to make the home satisfy healthy and safe living conditions. The furniture wasn’t the best either. Consisting of mostly popsicle sticks, plastic dollhouse furniture, and scrap cloth, the very close, loving family seemed content with what they had.

Now Isabella, she was not your typical seventeen year old girl. She never went to school, nor had friends, for there was no one her size. She was also an only child. Instead of being obsessed with makeup or the latest gossip, deeper things interested the unusual girl. She loved art, painting, and theatre. She was not the prettiest girl, but she had an amazing heart. The one thing she did have in common with a regular teenage girl was the desire to love, and be loved. She had never been truly happy. She wanted a different life more than anything.

Isabella began to cry. She was so frustrated. Everything was not tying together. With her eyes closed, Isabella noticed a sudden bright light and quickly opened her eyes to see what had happened. There was no noise, not anything. Suddenly, behind a tall patch a grass, she heard an old woman’s kind voice say her name softly.

Startled, she replied, “Uh… Hello…? Who are you? And how do you know my name?”

Out from behind the grass came an old woman. She was short and plump with short, grey hair that gave off a tint of silver in the moonlight. She was clothed in a light blue robe that stopped a few inches below her knees. She was not wearing any shoes. She did not have to, because she was floating. Isabella studied the woman and saw that she had wings. She had never seen anyone like this before.

“I’m your fairy godmother. I know everything about you.”

With disbelief, Isabella said, “Oh… Um… Okay. So… What now?”

“Well, I heard you crying and I’m here to help.”

“Well… I just want to see what it’s like being like everyone else.”

Wavering, she replied, “Well. Okay. It’s much different from now, but if that’s what you want…”

“I do want it, more than anything.”

“Okay, Isabella. Just remember that if you ever need me, I’m here for you.”

With a huge smile on her face, Isabella watched her fairy godmother as she waved her wand and granted her wish.

Isabella awoke the next morning in total confusion. The last thing she really remembered was a bright light. As she focused her eyes, she realized something was different. Her wish had come true! Trying to think of how this all came to be, she realized that what she believed was a dream, was actually reality. Isabella looked down and noticed something tied to her slender wrist. It was a letter printed on dainty paper, from her godmother that read:

Dearest Isabella:
As you can see, I have granted your wish. You are now the average size. I have prepared a home for you equipped with everything you will need, including food and clothes. A map is included to help you find your way. The only thing that you need to keep in mind is that you will turn small again at night. This may have some disadvantages, and I’m sorry, but this should give you enough time to get the feel of how it is, in this big world. I have already informed your parents of this information, and they told me to tell you good luck, and that they love you very much. Enjoy your time, darling, and have fun.

Love,

Your fairy godmother

She wondered when she would see her godmother again.

Isabella got up, unable to believe what had actually happened. She wasn’t sure of what to do, or where to even begin. She was a stranger to this new, yet familiar, world. To get accustomed to the scenery, she began to walk around; trying to find her house with the map her godmother had given her.

After passing a few shops and stores, Isabella arrived at her house. She stood in awe before it. It was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. The house was small, but cozy. The outside was white, with baby blue trimming and shutters. Surrounding the house was a perfect white picket fence that Isabella had heard about in the stories her mom had told her as a child. Isabella walked through the door. The inside was just as magnificent as the outside. The floors coordinated with the walls and everything seemed to be in correct placement. When she was done checking out the house, she ran out of the door toward the high school.

It had always been one of her biggest dreams to attend a school, meet new people and make friends. A few blocks down from her house, she finally arrived to Richardson High, where she was planning to enroll. She walked in, unsure but excited. As the heavy metal doors closed behind her, Isabella, the graceful, yet awkward red head, stood before a group of teenagers, around her age, who suddenly burst out into loud laughter.

Embarrassed, she asked in a quiet voice, “Uh, can any of you tell me where the principal’s office is?”

Trying to control her laughter, the perfect bleach blonde cheerleader said, “Um, yeah. It’s like, down the hall to like, the left, then like, two doors down.”

“Thank you. I’m new here. It’s so—”

“Yeah, I don’t care.”

“Oh… Okay. Well, I guess I’ll see you guys around. Thanks again.”

The girl and the small group walked off snickering and speaking in quiet, careful voices. A very handsome, athletic boy with sleek dark hair, turned back to look at Isabella. He was wearing a look of sorrow but flashed a quick smile that made her melt. She was hoping to see a lot more of this boy throughout the school year. Isabella started toward the hall and took the exact directions the beautiful girl had given her.
Right as she was about to open the door, the dark headed boy from earlier shouted, “Hey, don’t!”
He finally reached Isabella and with his mesmerizing, deep blue eyes looking into hers, said, “That’s the Sex Ed room. I’m really sorry about Whitney. She thinks she runs the school. My name is Clint, by the way.”
“My name is Isabella.”
“Nice to meet you. So, where are you from?”
Hesitating before she answered, Isabella said swiftly, “I’m from here, I was just always home schooled.”
“Oh, I see. Well, want me to walk you to the real principal’s office?”
Feeling her face go red with delight, Isabella agreed. Life was already starting to get better for her.
The week went on and it was finally Friday. Isabella loved school. Although Whitney was in over half of her classes, catching glances of Clint while walking through the hall always made her day. She loved all her teacher,s and most of the kids in her classes were friendly. She was content to see that she had an art class, so she was also really glad this could be one of her escapes.
She walked into the large, beige classroom covered in ravishing paintings by Van Gogh. In the center of the room, stood a paint canvas and a very familiar boy in a shirt covered with paint, standing behind it.
“Isabella, you’re in this class, too?”
Smiling, Isabella answered, “Yeah, I sure am.”
“Well awesome, I thought I was going to be the only person in here all year. Mr. Chamberlain is always out of the room, supposedly running errands, but who knows.”
Isabella stood and stared at him, finally realizing that she might be freaking him out.
“So, wanna sit down or something?”
“Oh yeah, of course.”
As he got up and went to get the chair from the storage closet, Isabella studied the beautiful painting Clint had been working on.
“Like it? I’ve been working on it for a while now.”
“Yes, I love it. It’s beautiful.”
With the smile that made her weak, he said, “Aw, thanks. You’re like the only person in school that knows that I paint. Everyone else just sees me as ‘the jock.’ Even my parents. It gets super annoying, actually. I don't know, painting is just a place where I can get away and just really express myself. You know?... You probably think I'm weird now, huh?"
Noticing him look down at his feet, Isabella tried to comfort him.
"No, not at all, I think it's really awesome that you paint. You're really, really good."
They smiled, laughed, and talked until the bell rang, and school was out for the weekend. He walked her to her locker and kindly offered to give her a ride home.
"I would really like that.”
They finally arrived at the house and Clint helped Isabella to the door.
“So, I’m sorry if you think I’m moving too fast but, you wanna grab a bite to eat after my game tonight?”
Isabella’s face brightened. As she was about to say yes, she remembered that she would be small again at night.
“Aw, Clint, I seriously would love to but… I just can’t tonight.”
“Well, how about tomorrow night?”
“Clint, I really just can’t.”
Feeling like someone had punched him in the stomach, Clint replied, “Isabella, I really am starting to like you. But, okay. It’s alright. I understand.”