Shadow Catcher | Teen Ink

Shadow Catcher

By SarahG BRONZE, Goff, Kansas
SarahG BRONZE, Goff, Kansas

She was running again, the same steps, the same leaps, over and over again. She was in the forest, surrounded by the same trees. Willing-no, pushing- her legs to go faster. Ignoring the sharp pains in her gut, right now pain didn’t exist, only her and the ‘thing’ behind her.

Flashes of green leaves and brown branches were slapping her in the face. As if they were trying to reach out and grab her, to hold her there. They wanted her to lose, to let it get her. But she couldn’t stop now, even with her lungs burning-screaming- for her to stop. Her mind was too terrified to comprehend the fact that she needed to breathe.

There was something horrible chasing her; she could feel the evil creeping up on her. That same feeling of dread from 9 years ago-no she wouldn’t let her mind stray from the current situation. She didn’t even know if she could run fast enough, no matter what was going through her head.

“Oof.”

An uprooted tree had caught her foot and sent her sprawling onto the forest floor. Scrambling up onto her feet, she became aware of an all too real pain in her right leg. Slumping against a tree, she took a quick look-over of the gash on the side of her thigh. Blood was already pouring from the cut, drenching her jeans in hot, sticky liquid.

She had seen blood before, but never so much at once, and quite frankly it was making her a wee bit nauseous. She knew she should apply pressure to the wound or she would lose too much blood, but right now all she could do is stare. The cut looked like it needed a few stitches and cleaned out. Her face felt hot, and red. She was drenched in sweat, but she was covered in dirt and leaves.

A laugh- a very dark and terrifying laugh, one that you only hear in the horror movies- sounded off into the woods. Ricocheting off of the trees and shrubs, making it sound as if it came from all over. Her head snapped up in an instant, while her heart skipped a beat. She took a deep breath and made aware of her situation. She was in the forest-way too deep- no one would be able to hear her if she screamed for help! Damn! She realized too late that this was ‘its’ plan.. To drive her away from all the main roads, away from anyone who could witness. How could she of not realized this before she ran into the forest?

She slowed her breathing, and calmed her mind. Right now she couldn’t afford any stupid mistakes, just because she was a little shaken. She slowly looked around, she knew she needed to run, and quick, but there seemed nowhere to go. She was surrounded by nothing but trees and greenery. Lost, hurt, and panic stricken, she knew she should run, to get out, but it was too late now, she was too far in.

“It is almost time,” said a creepy, withering voice.

“But for now let’s have some fun, shall we?”

And then a sudden explosion hit her, she went flying back into the side of a tree and slumped to the ground. Pain blasted through the backside of her body, but as excruciating as it was, she couldn’t get herself to cry out. Everything seemed to fade in and out; a loud ringing noise filled her head. She could feel the blood dripping from her nose but she could taste it from her mouth, most likely gushing out and down her neck.

Her heart beat, Once… Twice…

SarahG BRONZE said...
SarahG BRONZE, Goff, Kansas
thank you! and yes il read your stuff too.

kookoodood PLATINUM, McGregor, Texas
Whoa. I love this. Wow, wow, wow. That was incredible. You've got a real talent. :D Be sure to check out some of my work; I've read all your pieces on here and they're really great.