The Boy With a Muzzle | Teen Ink

The Boy With a Muzzle

September 23, 2009
By Kitti-Chan PLATINUM, Wichita, Kansas
Kitti-Chan PLATINUM, Wichita, Kansas
22 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Accept what you can't change. Change what you can't accept."


I trailed him for days. I couldn't find a single thing wrong with him. He was absolutely innocent.
Since he arrived, animal attacks have gone through the roof. My job was to shadow him and see if he had anything to do with it. This was my last day trailing him. I watched him, ducked behind a bush. He hummed to an unfamiliar tune as he sat on the bench. I stared at him and yawned.
My black hair pulled into a ponytail behind my head swished merrily in the breeze. My name is X5F66T009, or Tessa for short. I was part of an underground organization called the STFT (Supernatural Task Force Team). I was a shadow. Or by modern standards, a stalker. I followed suspects around for days, weeks, months, and once for an entire year. I wasn't an easy job. I couldn't look suspicious or out-of-place. I had to blend in. I had to stay silent and be chatty when I need to. I was a trained fighter, acrobatic, scientist, and many things.
I had been trained from a very young age that this was normal. I answered to X5F66T009 at home, school, and work. Yes i juggled these all at once. I was trained with technology that would blow you mind. I know the square root of 4,233,788,998,655 in my head, which is 2,05617.31 by the way.
I spoke into my communicator.
"Twelve forty-five subject is sitting on a bench humming. No abnormal activity." I whispered. I knew the patch on my throat would easily pick up the vibrations.
"Copy." said a voice in my ear. It went silent.
I sat back staring at the boy. He was fifteen. My age. He was tall with a spill of blonde hair. His eyes seemed to always be covered by dark shades. I heard an engine and quickly adjusted my gaze slightly so my visor moved it's camera to look at a black car with tinted windows, speeding down the street.
I quickly crouched behind the bush. The car screeched to halt in front of the boy and he clambered in. Once the car was half way down the street, I stood and sprinted to my motorcycle a while down. I took my visor off (they looked just like sunglasses) and shoved the specially designed helmet on my head. I quickly checked readings.
Green letters blinked for me to go. I swung my leg over the TMS (Trailing Monitor System) and gunned the engine racing down the street and pulling into the bustle of traffic.
They stayed easily in my sight.
"Run license plate registration number: XAA730." I instructed my computerized helmet.
"Registration Invalid." It relayed to me.
I knew this. Most people who I trailed didn't have a real license plate. I zoomed along, my black ponytail end was flying behind me like a ribbon to a kite. I heard sirens checked my speed, not over limit. I pulled over to the curb and watched as a bulky officer pulled up behind me. I sighed and pulled my helmet off, resting it on my knees.
"Young lady do you have a license to be driving?" he asked
"Yes." I dug quickly through a pouch attached to my motorcycle and handed him my license. It had my real name, sex, cetera. The only difference was my age was incorrect. It stated I was seventeen.
The officer retreated to verify it. Once he was out of sight, I quickly said into my microphone. "Officer has pulled me over. Deceiver needed on license."
"Copy." said the voice, static then "Done."
I easily sat there, watching my target speed away. Minutes later the officer returned handed me my 'license' and quickly apologized. He walked back to his car but my helmet was on and I was already speeding away.
"Request tracker enabler." I said. There was a metallic beep then a screen came up on my motorcycle. It sat atop the speedometer. A map and a bleeping red dot. I followed. I easily tracked them down again.
It was side streets, the car stopped and I turned down another side street, parked the TMS and quickly ran back to the streets, my visor sat safely over my eyes.
The boy was walking up steps to a house. He knocked and an elderly woman answered. They spoke then she beckoned him inside.
"Suspicious activity spotted. May I engage?" I asked.
"You have the go head." said the voice. I sighed and quickly ran across the street.
I ducked and peeked over a window sill.
Nothing.
I moved to other windows and looked inside. I looked up and realized there were voices coming from upstairs. I gaged distances jumps branches and a balcony.
I could scale the oak tree climb an over hanging branch to the roof then slide to the balconey. I began climbing easily reaching branch after branch. I got to the branch I wanted in a few short moments, and then balanced and walked straight across.
I jumped to the roof moving silently i slide to the balcony and jumped down with a soft 'thud'. I peeked through a window where the curtains were separated. A sight I saw.
The old lady searched the room.
"I'm sure its here somewhere." she said lifting cushions to a seat.
"Oh it's okay I am quite patient." the boy had his hand clasped behind his back. He turned and followed the old woman with his eyes. I saw he was holding a landline.
"That phone has got to be here somewhere." she said searching through a few drawers.
Her back was turned to him, he took the shades off revealing yellow catlike eyes. His figured changed he hunched his face elongated, he became furry, his teeth pointed, his nose sniffed the air, his finger nails grew and sharpened.
He lunged at the old woman she screamed but only for a moment as he ripped her throat. I stumbled backwards.
He was a werewolf.