Beyond the Universe | Teen Ink

Beyond the Universe

November 8, 2021
By Soph_1789 BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada
Soph_1789 BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Stars. It was all stars. A vast ocean of space sprinkled with tiny stars. No one knows what compelled the celestial objects to do this, but a handful of them bunched together, creating a small tiger cub. The cub started looking around, confused. A small mew could be heard from the tiny cub. The tiny cat looked around, nothing but silence and darkness with small bright speckles. Then, it looked down at itself. A pure white coat of fur with black asymmetrical stripes all over its coat, and pink fleshy pads on the underside of its meager paw. Then something whipped past its peripheral vision, a streak of black and white. The small cat looked behind and saw its tail moving about. She starts circling around herself to try and find the tail, she runs away only to find the strangely moving tail is following her.

One thing the cub didn’t notice was that as she pranced to catch her tail, small, yet bright bundles of light started blooming after every step she took. It was as if someone threw handfuls of yellow glitter at the floor. As the glimmering bits of light began to disperse, many more celestial objects began to form. Bumpy, uneven, and brown meteors with even darker craters; a bright white light forms from the small tinted particles and the light zooms past, leaving a brighter trail of light; it was a shooting star. The tail was inching closer and closer to the tiny cat, she started to notice and stepped back, and jumped as high as she could, landed on her tail but jumped once more, but out of fear. The milky white cat noticed a much more sizable heap of light flourishing under her, puzzled at the sight. This mass of energy started to turn different colors, it formed pink on the center, transforming to blue, then orange on the border; the feline had no idea, but her small pounce held so much weight to it. The cat looked behind her and noticed all the commotion that she had caused.

While the flowering bundles of light came about, there were two stars that weren’t like others. The two weren’t as bright or big, and they both knew that. Finding comfort in the mutual feeling, the duo sort of clung to each other. As the pair sped towards the nebula, they were confronted with the sight of a huge sphere, covered with blue and a tinted green. They were getting so close to the monumental shape and felt a weird sensation overcoming them. The two beings morphed from dim specks of light to translucent figures. 

They had no idea what to do. They were helpless. Nothing surrounded them, besides fields of green and vast bodies of water. The landscape felt like it could go on forever and ever. Over time, the feeling of confusion from not knowing why they were there had been gradually replaced with dread and fear. The two souls quickly became overwhelmed. It felt like something was going to explode inside them. The duo had tried so hard to find out why they landed on this strange planet. They started to huddle together and they felt like something was going to explode. They had tried everything they could. They ran to see if anything could grow, trying to imitate the small white tiger that had created them. They tried building something, anything, from the dirt and water. 

And after all this, absolutely nothing would work. They felt absolutely dejected and didn’t know what to do next. These thoughts had come back to the pair all at once. Then it hits them. They start to sob. Tears fall and fall and they seem to never stop. As they wept together, tears fell to the ground. One of the souls' tears were falling but not straight down. Like it had a mind of its own, the teardrop had moved spirally and instead of being soaked up by the dirt, the drop buried itself deep into the earth. And along came the rest of the tears, following the same trail. They traveled around the seemingly infinite piece of land and the teardrops started to disperse. All around this piece of land, bloomed every single aspect of nature you can imagine. Fluffy trees that went as high as the sky, faint tapping could be heard from the trees from the woodpeckers, and small squirrels poked their heads out from the large trees. From the field bloomed so many flowers with a variety of exotic shapes and vibrant colors. As for the other’s tears, at first glance it may look like those tears are growing flora and fauna. Upon closer look, so many beings with two legs and two arms sprouted from the ground. These beings and their environment were so similar in a way. Even the humans came in a variety of shapes and colors. 

What the souls failed to notice is that as they were sobbing, they got smaller and smaller. They knew something was changing, but couldn’t pick apart what it was. They pulled apart for a few seconds and noticed what was happening to the world around them. They felt surprised and still upset. “Maybe this is why we’re here.” the souls thought, but they still didn’t know why the world was changing. Pulling themselves close to each other once more, yelling out as the two wept one last time.

And just like that, they seemingly disappeared. One becomes a burning bright light that only exists in the daytime and the other only appears at night. The tiger had witnessed it all. She tried warning them but their sobs overpowered the tiger’s roar. She looks closely as to what her and the two souls had created, and her pupils dilate. She’s surprised, but content. The no longer little cat knows that this world is going to be just fine. And runs away to make and do whatever her heart pleases. As the cat disappears, a curved line made of white paints the sky. The sun, moon, and the clouds are a sign to the people of how their land came to be. Without those two stars, the planet would not have flourished as it did. The pair of celestial beings had no idea what they did, but they know that their bond was transcendent, traveling far Beyond The Universe.


The author's comments:

A curious feline had no idea the impact it would have on a pair of stars. But, their actions will change the world as we know it.