What Happened To Laws? | Teen Ink

What Happened To Laws?

By JulieMartinez07 BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas
JulieMartinez07 BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas

Since the year 1989 everything changed, nothing has the same anymore people have gone insane and all because of a dumb decision. In this ruined place lived Mateo, a boy who was only 6 years old when this disaster happened.

Monday January 1, 1989 Mateo was watching TV with his parents when suddenly they started hearing a lot of commotion outside their house. When Mateo and his parents went outside to see what was happening they were surprised by seeing people running and screaming going inside their houses like crazy. The disaster had just started, once Mateo’s parents saw what was happening outside they took him inside but Mateo was confused and he had no idea what was going on. In that moment the government interrupted the show the family was watching “ My fellow people we are glad to announce this project we have been working on a no laws world, a world where anyone can do whatever they want without being punished for it this will now be our world where everything will be legal”, said the commander in that exact moment Mateo’s parents froze in time then his dad scream “remain calm and lock every door and window”, then he took Mateo and his wife upstairs in the attic. After this they stayed in the attic and would only go out if it was an emergency they learned to survive but then days became months, months into years and Mateo was over it, having to hide and live in this world he became angry at the government, of the idea of them not caring of what people think, of taking the rules. 

One night Mateo was thinking and the idea slapped him on the face to end the no rule law so he waited till the next morning to tell his parents, once the day came he sat them down and said “ This world has turned into a big pile of trash and i'm tired of this world with no rules”, so he and his parents came up with a plan to search for people who thought the same as them to form a strike against the government and change the world to how it used to be. 

After months of searching Mateo and his parents searched and found around 300 people that thought this world had gone to the ground and rules needed to be back like them, so they all got together went to the government institution and marched, screamed, and cried to them demanding to make things go back to how it used to be before the chaos. Government denied and demanded for them to leave or will be executed, but Mateo didnt care he walked and stood in front of everyone screaming, “ This world is the definition of hell the worst thing that could've happened to the whole humanity going outside and looking at how scary and terrifying the world turned into after you the laws” then his dad proceeded “ We beg you to bring laws back”. After this the government thought about how serious this people were they also saw how the world really had turned into and with this they agreed, and in that moment when everyone was excited and hugging each other mateo thought how getting together changed everything for the good and suddenly all that anger he had disappeared immediately and hugged his parents.

This story was inspired by the books FARENHEIT 451 and HARRISON BERGERON, in this two stories it shows how people is controlled by the government and how at least one character from the story tries to do something about it and one of them do succeed but one didn'd and that inspired me to certantly combine those two stories and write something similar.