Darkness | Teen Ink

Darkness

I was awoken by my alarm for school. I got out of bed and got dressed and made some breakfast. I grab my phone to see myself bombarded with messages from my friends. They kept saying the sun was gone. I did not believe what I was reading, and I sped out the door to see the vast darkness only lit by the moon’s glowing shine. I step inside and turn on the TV to see a man on the news. An anxious look on his face cleared his throat, reluctantly he began to speak he said “Hello everyone you may or not already know but the sun is gone.” I already knew this, but I could not wrap my head around it.

The reality of the situation is that the sun is gone. My phone rang. Luna was calling. She was one of my friends that told me the sun was gone. She said “Light, I need you to come over to my house. We need to plan on what to do. I invited Lela as well”.

I felt terrified of what was going to happen. I was not sure what to do. I knew that Luna and I were going to plan out what we’re going to do. I arrived at Luna’s house and she opened the door before I could even say anything, I was pulled into her house so fast it felt like my time stopped for a second. Luna is there hugging the door, she's so close to the door then she asks, “were you followed.” I tell her “I don't know, have you seen what's happening outside? I can barely see walking here.”

She looked at me with an annoyed look on her face and told me “be Quiet”. Luna kept looking outside like she was waiting for someone or something. I asked her “why did you tell me to come over?'' She said “the sun is gone” she said it in such a way it sounded like it was her first time knowing about it. I tell her “yeah why did you say it like that” she begins to cry and tells me “I don’t know what to do” I tell her “we’ll be fine”. I turned on the TV to see the news and they began to list off things that will be useful.

They said “Find food, water, a nice place to stay preferably your house. The temperature will begin to drop” I told Luna I will be going back to my house and getting supplies. I stepped out of Luna’s house and immediately felt the coldness that was not there earlier. I wanted Luna to stay at her house so she can wait for Lela. I got back to my house and got as much stuff as I could carry with a basket. I get food, water and put on some clothes and get some as extra and exit my house.

As I walk to Luna’s house, I see several men in a circle with robes and a pole in the middle. I stop and hide some bushes. The robes were as dark as the night. I could only see them after they lit some torches. Then a man walked from the darkness and had a man who was tied and had a bag over his head. The man who came out with the man had something in his rope moments later he tied the man to the pole and then he pulled the hood off the man and revealed what he was hiding in his robe. It was a gun.

I had a terrible feeling and I wanted to leave but the slightest bit of curiosity made me stay. In the next moment the guy with the gun takes his hood off and all the men in the circle begin to cheer. The man looked like my age. He was young and had a scar on his forehead. He began to shoot the sky and say “it's for him” then all the other men began to chant and say “IT’S FOR HIM” I fell back dropping the basket I picked it up and began to run. Some of the men come after me and the man with the gun shoots twice. I ran as fast as I could, hiding in some bushes.

The men ran past me and I stayed there to catch my breath and go to Luna’s house. I felt relieved that those guys did not see me. I felt a sharp pain in my arm and saw red on my clothes. I get a shirt and wrap it tight around my arm. I get the supplies to run to Luna’s house. I get to Luna’s house and tell her I got shot by men in robes. She helps me with my wound, and I tell her everything.

“There were men in robes probably going to kill a man for “him” that's what they were talking about before they saw me”. She asks me what the man looked like if I saw them, I tell her “one of them had a scar on their forehead he's also the one who shot me. She had a shocked face and told me “I know him. He goes to our school his name is Shadow or something that's what everyone calls him even the teachers”. I asked her “where is Lela?” She gave me this cold and grim “don’t know” I kept my mouth shut. She finishes cleaning my wound and puts a bandage around my arm. I did not know where Lela was, and Luna’s response was not very comforting.

Luna leaves for a moment and I lay down on the couch. Luna comes back with a knife behind her back. She walks up toward me and pulls the knife out and tries to stab me. I grab the knife and I start to bleed out of my hand. I looked at her and she started to cry and pulled the knife out of my hand, cutting my hand even more. I see Luna cry and say “why… why fight back we're all going to die anyway” I told her “maybe there's a way we don’t know and let's go find Lela her face changed, and she stopped crying and said, “I killed her.” I stood there in disbelief and said, “you did what… why?” “I did it because what the point of going on the sun is gone, we're going to die.” “you don’t know that”.

I grabbed the knife out of her hand and threw it on the ground. Luna began to cry out “JUST KILL ME” I told her to “stop well find a way to live. I'm not sure how but there must be a way”. BOOM! The door opened.

My story is about the sun dissapering.