Fallen Fae | Teen Ink

Fallen Fae

By SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

I nodded back to the Faerie Queene, before I crossed through to the humans realm.

“You understand your mission?”

“Yes, your highness. I am to bring justice to the humans for their crimes against nature and give the power to the animals.”

“Correct. Disable the sources of their power, things called nuclear power plants, and fields of black shining sheets, and some tall white flowers with petals that spin. The Nuclear things you can't physically destroy, or it will kill all life for miles around, including plants and animals. Deliver a warning to the leader of a place called United States America. Tell him the fae will defend nature if they don't stop, and warn him we will use our powers if forced to return.”

“Yes, your highness.”

“And make sure you don't miss the portal home. If you do, you'll be trapped there for 2 years. If you stay any longer than that, you will fall and become mortal. At that point, you will not be capable of returning, and you will be capable of dyeing.” 

“Yes, your majesty, I understand.”

“Very well. Farewell, Cyrene. May fortune favor you.”

“You as well.” I bowed and stepped through the portal.

I was standing in the forest beside a strange city with smoke and odd colored blocks. She turned regretfully to the forest and headed into the confusing place. Massive, loud, shiny beetles were running along black stones at high speeds. Had she been sent to earth or a giant ant city? She walked directly between the beetles, knowing they couldn't harm her. They slammed into her with a great deal of force, and several made a sound like a really strange goose honk. She paused to stare around and humans got out of the odd things.

“Hey! Watch where you're going!” a man shouted. He had a shiny metallic hat on.

“Oh, greetings, mortal. Where am I, please?”

“Excuse me? Do you need to go to the hospital?”

“Is Hospital where your leader lives? I just need to speak with your leader.”

“Leader of what?!”

“A place called United States Amerka, I think.”

“You mean you think you can just barge in and talk to the president?”

“Yes. I need directions, please.”

“No way, you're crazy.”

“Explain this contraption you got out of. What do you use it for?”

“You mean my car? To get around.”

“Very well. Tell me how to get to your… president.” I met his eyes and used my magic to wither and blacken his ‘car’. His eyes widened and he stared at me.

“Are you a… UFO?”

“What? No, I'm a Faerie. And I have a mission, for which I need to speak to your leader.”

“Yeah, sure… ok, go to the white house.”

“Where is that? Or what does it look like?”

“It's a big building with a dome on top and marble pillars. Can you sign this for me?” he pulled out a book, on the title it said AREA 51: What They Don't Want You To Know.

“No.” she magically mended his car. While it was mostly red, it had a pyramid design on it with an eye. It must have been a reference to a strange human custom. She turned spread her gossamer wings, flying over the city. She found a cluster of white things like he described. One of them had a dome, so she landed there. Many human men in black whirled, all looking confused, and started using their odd bows to shoot tiny rocks at her. They bounced off her skin. She fluttered inside, a foot or so off the ground. The humans stared at her. She demanded her way to their “president. They were so surprised by her, they just pointed her in the right direction. She walked into a meeting with a bunch of stiff people. They looked old, an uncommon sight among fae.

“Excuse me?! What are you doi-” the one at the head of the table stood up angrily, but stopped when he saw her wings.

“Which one of you is the President?”

“I am.”

“Very well. My name is Cyrene. The faerie queene sent me to warn you that if you do not cease to destroy nature we will come down in full force. You also need to shut down every nucaler plant and destroy all the fields of shiny black plates and giant white flowers with moving petals.”

“Do you mean solar panels and wind mills?”

“Maybe. Are they the source of your power?”

“Yes.”

“Then destroy them.”

“I can't just-”

“You can. Because if you don't, an army of faeries will come and do it ourselves.” I withered his table to prove a point.

“-of course, I could…”

“Thats what I thought. Someone will come soon to follow up on that. If you don't halt every process harming nature, we will drive humans to extinction.” 

“Ok ok ok!”

I nodded. I was done here. I saw an opening to fly from and smashed into a force field.

“Remove this immediately.” one of them rushed to do it and I flew back to the forest. I sent the signal to open the portal and saw it ahead. I began to step through when a whine distracted me. I glanced over and saw a wolf, black and red, both colors dripping from it's fur. Blood. But why was black dripping? I ran over to it and healed it's wounds. I had 5 minutes,  my magic was quick. In the paces I healed the fur was white. Whatever that black thing was wasn't meant to be there. My magic wasn't equipped to be there, but I got the sense she should lick herself clean of it.

Well, I was there to save nature. This wolf needed to be saved, and I could clean it quickly. I saw a nearby brook and gently pulled the wolf to it, rubbing her down with the water. Almost done! Her beautiful white fur was shining, and I just had a little more to do- I stared in horror at the portal closing. No! I was stuck here for 2 years!

I didn't know what to do! I couldn't be stuck! It's ok, Cyrene… breath. No, no, not ok! I'm stuck on earth with humans destroying nature! But only for 2 years. I’d be fine that long. Right? Right, of course. No! This isn't fine! Help!!!!

I felt a soft warm nudge on my hand. The wolf was licking it. She looked tired and sad. I couldn't speak with her, I was a destruction and healing Faerie, not an animal Faerie, but I could sense her energy. She needed me. She was lost and alone too. I stroked her head gently and she closed her eyes, her head resting on my lap. I slept too, because I was a coward. Because I didn't want to face it, so I was a coward.

I woke up with my cheek pressed against clean white fur, shining in what sunlight passed the trees. I sat up and the motion roused her. I remembered what had happened yesterday and wanted to hit something. Not use my magic, I was here to save earth, not destroy it. And theoretically, if I wanted to I could probably destroy all of earth in one go. But I tried to smile, for the wolf. Hey, I needed a name for her.

“What's your name?” I’d listen to her howl and get her name from that. She yawned, and I liked the funny word it made.

“Kyiiiie”

“Well good morning, miss Kai. I guess we’ll be sticking together, I don't think either of us has anyone else to go to, so were going to stick together.” Kai watched me, head cocked, but with an intelligent shine in her eye. I decided she was the most beautiful thing i'd ever seen. This coming from the immortal faerie of the land of perfection and youth and beauty. She had a sort of rawness to her, that I had never seen before. She wasn't from home, she wasn't perfect. She was real. I guess thats what I liked about her. She was real but natural, and beautiful, and wild and free. Like home but like here. 2 years with her might not be too bad. 

I stood with her and we found a nest with some bird eggs. We were both hungry, I gave her one and ate the other myself. Mmm it was good. Slimy, like ________________(trust me, reader. You don't want to know this)__________ and I laughed to myself that humans didn't eat raw eggs. They were so good! Kai clearly agreed with me. She was breaking the crunchy shell with her teeth, a fun experience. It was like _________ and I don't know why anyone would pass that up. The sun was setting and the light was turning grey. I didn't mind. I was a fae, I was wild, and I was free. 

We ran through the forest all night, laughing and howling at the moon for no particular reason. we caught a rabbit. Some human hunters came by muttering about awful wolves, so I cracked some twigs behind them and kai growled, I got just close enough to their lights that my wild black eyes shone and they got more scarred, but stayed just far enough to leave them unsure of what I was. Eventually they just ran off screaming. Cowards.

The sun rose and I tamed. We ate the rabbit and focused on surviving. We found a cave to live in near a brook, and in a part of the forest with plenty of prey. We were offically a pack. Days were spent gathering food and sleeping, and nights we ran wild. We were close. I wished I could take Kai home with me, but Kai was mortal. 

The two years flew by, and that day I told Kai to stay back at the cave. I went to the place I arrived at, but Kai followed anyway, she didn't understand sylvian. I waited all day for the portal. Kai wasn't interested and ran off to look for food or something. 

I heard a howl for help and whirled, running a few feet to see a hunter with his gun aimed at her. Her flank was already bleeding. I ran to her and healed her, then whirled to the human, wings spread wide.

“HOW DARE YOU!” then I heard a whir behind me. The portal! I ran to hit and heard the hunters threatening voice. I ran back, and suddenly, my wings vanished.

NO! It was to late! I shouted with rage and the man whirled, but it was to late, his finger pulled the trigger. I jumped in front of the bullet. Then I remembered I wasn't immune, but I didn't care, I had nothing to lose I was trapped here anyway.

I felt it penetrate my body and saw an explosion of gold quickly turning to red. I was mortal, and I was dying.

A new sensation spread from my chest in an extreme volume. I think it was pain. I fell in front of the wolf. The human dropped his stick and ran in shock. Kai pounced on me and rapidly, fruitlessly tried to lick the blood from me, save me. To no avail. The world began to fade.