When Angels Call | Teen Ink

When Angels Call

By WolvesRain ELITE, Walton, Kentucky
WolvesRain ELITE, Walton, Kentucky

"Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works." Virginia Wolf

Aileth stared down at where the humans called Earth. She was about to join them so she could fulfill her purpose but she still wasn’t quite sure what that was. Aileth stretched her wings and got up, it was time to go.. Even though she did these often she was nervous because if she can’t find out what it is she has to do then she will be stuck wandering on Earth until her purpose is complete.

“Here goes nothing.” she said as she took the step that would bring her to Earth.

“Laila! Look out for…” Laila was woken from sleep again from another nightmare of the night she became a soul.

Lailia was alone wandering on Earth while her body laid in the hospital. The night she turned into a soul was the night she had her accident. She was walking across the road when a car came speeding by, but she didn’t have time to react... It hit her, and now her body lay broken in a hospital bed. 

Aileth wandered Earth, people could see and feel her so she had to be careful of who she talked to and how she acted. Just then she saw someone who was sitting under a bridge.

“That must be the girl, she is my purpose!” she exclaimed a little too loudly and people stared, “I mean that she is the one I’m supposed to find in our game.”

“Who? There’s no one there?” one of the people asked.

She knew now more than ever that this girl was her purpose. She must be a soul, she thought.

“Oh, she’s… Not a… Real… Er person. I’ve got a wild imagination.” she stuttered and the people just shrugged and moved on.

How embarrassing! 

“Before I know it I will be back where everyone is judgement free.” she whispered to herself.  

She slowly approached the soul, she didn’t want to frighten her or him but just as she got within earshot the soul whipped her head around.

“Who are you!?” she shouted out.

“Shh, it’s okay. I’m Aileth, a soul too. I didn’t mean to frighten you, but you looked like you’ve been through a lot, and I just wanted to help.” Aileth whispered.

People started looking in her direction all probably wondering the same thing. 

“Is that girl talking to herself?” one person whispered to her friend.

“I think so.” her friend whispered back.

“How about we go somewhere else.” Aileth said quietly.

They moved from their spot under the bridge to down by the water.

“How can they see you. No one has even noticed me since I became a… soul.” she said sadly, “Oh and my name is Laila.”

“Nice to meet you and… I’m not sure why they can see me… Guess I’m a different kind of soul. Like maybe it depends on what happened to your body.”

“Oh, okay well it was nice to meet you but I really have to find out how to get back in my body so…” she started but was interrupted by Aileth.

“I know how! Well, kinda. It’s difficult but I’m sure I can help. Where’s your body?” Aileth asked.

“That’s the problem. I don’t know where it is.” Laila said regretfully.

“Oh, well I can help…” Aileth was interrupted.

“I’m going to stop you right there. It was my fault my body got hurt, I wasn’t paying attention then a car came and then it all went wrong.” Laila said in distress.

“Shh. It’s okay, I can help you find your body.” Aileth assured her.

“Really?” Laila said as a tear rolled down her cheek, “What about your body?”

“Uh… No need to worry about my body, I can wait.” Aileth said.

“Okay.” Laila said as she wiped her tears.

“Okay but if we're going to do this, we’ve got to stay unseen.” Aileth stated.

“No problem, we can use the sewers.” Laila promised.

Aileth shivered at the thought of going into the sewers but she had to do it for the sake of Laila… And herself not looking crazy. They left to go into the sewers. It was wet and cold. Fortunately for Laila she couldn’t feel anything but Aileth could. 

“So where did you last see your body.” Aileth questioned.

“Well, I became a soul at the cross walk then the ambulance took my body away.” Laila responded.

“Then we must check every hospital.”

They arrived at the hospital but there was one problem. Laila walked right in but Aileth could be seen and they wouldn’t let just anyone in without a reason. 

“I can’t, they’ll see me and want to know who I’m visiting.” Alieth said panicked.

“Just tell them you’re looking for Laila Beth Green.” Laila said.

“Okay.” Alieth said.

She walked in and did as instructed but the front desk lady told her that there was no patient by that name.

“No one here goes by that name but the hospital a few miles south from here does.” the lady said.

“Thanks.” Aileth said as she walked out.

Laila had become suspicious as to why Aileth could be seen.

“Why can you be seen?” Liala asked supisiously.

“As I said, I must be a different kind of soul because…” Ailteth started but was quickly interrupted as Laila whipped around on her.

“I heard that part, how about the truth!” Laila said angrily.

“Promise not to freak out or run off.” Aileth asked and Laila nodded in response. 

“I’m a… Angel.” Aileth said hesitantly, she wasn’t supposed to tell what she was. 

“You're what? You’ve lost it, I know I said I wouldn’t leave but I’m not hanging out with people or souls or whatever you are that is too crazy to even think about what to do.” she said as she turned and walked away.

“Wait! You asked for the truth and…” Aileth started but she was already out of earshot.

Now what was she supposed to do? She had to find her and set things straight before things got out of hand.

A week had passed and Aileth still found no signs of Laila, she just disappeared but right when she was on the brink of giving up she found her.

“Laila. Listen, I know you think I’m crazy and maybe I am but I have a heart of gold and I just want to help so can we forget for a second what I said and get you back in your body?” Alieth said whole heartedly.

Laila sat silently for a minute, Aileth thought maybe it was too late and she wasn’t going to listen now but just before she could accept defeat Laila stood up.

“You may be crazy but you’re the only hope I have right now of finding my body but there’s one small problem. The hospital is all the way across town. How are we going to get there?” Laila asked.

Aileth smiled and pulled Laila to where no one could see then made sure no one was looking and let her wings out. Laila was speechless.

“You… Have… W-wings?” Laila stuttered.

“I told you, I’m a angel.” Aileth said with a grin.

Laila fainted so Aileth took matters into her own hands. When Laila woke up she was in the sky. She screamed.

“Shh. Do you want to tell everyone we’re up here?” Aileth asked but Laila was too scared to speak. 

Next thing they knew they made it to the hospital. Aileth folded her wings back, put on her spare shirt and walked in and told them she was visiting Laila Beth Green and they escorted her to her room.

“Well, this is it. I never thought I would see my body again.” Laila said with teary eyes.

“Aww, don’t cry, we’ll see each other again.” Aileth reassured, “Now get back in your body.” 

She began to say the words that would put Laila back and before she knew it she was back in her body. She shedded a few of her own tears as her new friend left her. It was common in this line of work, she helped them and then they had to leave but never had it been this hard to say goodbye. 

Alieth went back to her own home just as Laila began to wake up and she said her final words to her friend, “Goodbye Laila, I will miss you but we will see each other again when angels call.”

This is another independent piece and it follows the story of Laila and Aileth and the journey they took. Laila is a soul who lost her body after a devestating accident and Aileth is the angel who comes to help her. Please comment and tell me how you liked it!

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

(warriors is about people, not cats. and they all die.)

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

i replied on the doc, can you see it?

WolvesRain ELITE, Walton, Kentucky

Ok, I won't, good to know your alive

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

i just read it, you should really have let me finish editing. so many grammar errors... i knew id rub off on you.(don't read my stuff or my bad habit of not editing might rub off.)

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

so ive got a picture thats great but I haven't quite got the right idea for it. its a broken mask crying blood, but its more complicated like that, so ill show it to you when we fix the glitch.

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

but those words were powerful.

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

warriors is done! that took like a week for only maybe 7000 words.

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

tho i dont have everything finished, i left it pretty blank so we can work it out together.

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

but i do have the idea for the next cowrite, and 2 pictures.

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands

i dont think we're on the same google doc. i thought you were dead or something, but when I checked the recent edits it had a note from you that I hadn't appeared. well, on the bright side, you arent dead. but do you know how to fix the glitch? i dont.