Summer at the Park | Teen Ink

Summer at the Park

By dantemilo7 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
dantemilo7 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

The loud screaming of the gears had always got to him. The sound of the rides here had never ceased to puncture his eardrums with their horrendously high frequencies and varying pitches . The mechanical inner workings whirred and scraped and hummed everytime a coaster started to boot up or back down. The horrific noise was quite an annoyant, but it added to the whimsical atmosphere of the park. It exclaimed and emphasized the true thrill seeking that there was to do here on this hot, California day.           

Upon arrival, the park loomed above him like his best dream disguised as his worstnightmare. The rides all appeared to be at least three times the size of any attraction at a thrill park he’d ever been lucky enough to see before. His heartbeat increased tenfold in its pace as he couldn’t take his eyes off the demon that laid before him. The beast’s culmination was an astounding 235 feet amidst the light, puffy clouds. Yellowing-orange paint covered the body of the metallic skyscraper while sky blue poles supported it. The coaster’s drop was so big that the boy started to wonder how many people had passed out because of this monster’s unreal velocity.
     At the entrance to this hell stood stone carved letters that appeared to contain within it many secrets of the past. The giant stone markers seemed rough and were littered with cracks all amongst their bodies. They evidently had endured many battle wounds over the years, but still stood with such prominence and confidence, as if being elite soldiers in an utmost important army. “Goliath” was the name of the monster that lived and thrived behind the very stones that marked its name.

Upon straying away from the ancient thing, the vast variety of people within the park caught his eye. There were individuals with lighter skin, as well as those with a darker complexion. Some people’s skin seemed worn and old while others had looked to have skin with similar texture to that of a baby. Bright colored shirts illuminated the horizon and contrasted greatly with their darker counterparts. Sights of lime-greens, vivacious purples, and royal blues danced across his eyelids. Startling yellows and rosy pinks also paraded around his vision.
     The people that embodied these colors laughed, cried, and screamed. All throughout the park cackles, giggles, and laughs echoed off the various structures. On the opposite side of the spectrum, others whined like dogs, yelping and pleading to their heart’s content. The boy watched as children pleaded with their parents. They begged for freezing cold, creamy ice cream to cure their inevitable heat exhaustion. The puppy-like nature of this couldn’t help but bring a tear to one's eyes in some cases. The delicate nature of the park's residents was further contrasted by the immense heat that plagued the land.

The wrath of July was upon the golden state and it didn’t hold back. Heatwaves seeped into the skin that covered his body and he could feel his internal system start to overheat. The dry climate had no remorse for its poor citizens. Many people had sweated through their shirts and were visibly flustered. Red faced toddlers, teenagers, and adults roamed about the park in search of their savior: bottled water. The warmth had no remorse in condemning the hopeful people to an unpleasant, yet unforgettable time.

While the park could almost be a storage yard because of the mass amounts of metal it contained, the land was still lush and delicate nonetheless. Amidst the grayer biomes of the park, lush areas of innocent nature coexisted. Patches of green glimmered in contrast to the large industrial land. Thousands of blades of grass thrived in the verdant ovals around the park.

Next to these bright fields there were intricately carved fountains.The such had spurted water in beautiful arrays to give off a marvelous air of confidence. The stone fountains along with the gentle nature gave off a pleasant aroma. The bottoms of these fountains were filled with mysterious metal trinkets of silver, copper, and nickel. Faces of historically significant men detailed these coins and shone in the dazzling reflection of the sunlight. The coins illuminated the fountains and gave off an essence of power and beauty.

Other mechanisms around the park went off at inconsistent times and were complimented by the echoes and shouts of the people on the very rides. People daring enough to ride the beast known as Goliath supported most of the park's commotion. One area of the park themed with superheroes stood with comical pride. A particular building that caught his eye was a white town hall structure that was built of what appeared to be marble. The smooth surface looked to be crafted by the hands of God himself. For all the boy knew, the building could be an ancient place of worship rather than just an elaborate building that contains an attraction. It reflected the rays of the sun and shimmered like the divine edifice it was.

In contrast to the angelic nature of the marble building, the gigantic pendulum to his right didn’t give off the same unworldly energy. Its peeling, tacky yellow and blue paint job only worsened the rickety and unsafe nature of the structure. The machinery shook violently as it thrusted side to side at an increasingly fast pace. Eventually, the device also began to spin in circular motions, rotating faster and faster as the seconds passed. As the motion reached its crescendo, the boy’s stomach flipped and he was so grateful he had decided not to partake in this devil’s incarnate of a ride.

With all things considered, this park was made up of so many peculiar elements, which only seemed to further bring out it's fun and amusing nature. From massive steel exhibits to rolling hills and winding paths, the park was a blissful place to be. Although the heat was a demon in itself, the sky was a delightful blue with white, puffy clouds slowly gliding through it. Through and through, there is no amusement park to visit that lives up to the magnificent and boisterous culture that can be exhibited at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

I am an eleventh grader in high school and I wrote this piece for my English class.