Gateway Key | Teen Ink

Gateway Key

By rclavell BRONZE, North Pole, Alaska
rclavell BRONZE, North Pole, Alaska

After another long day of work, I started my routine for going home. I took the train that stops near my apartment and walked the rest of the way. I slowly walked the two flights of stairs because I wasn’t in any rush nor did I have the energy to move any faster. Once I got to my apartment door I reached into my pocket for my keys, I pulled out my key ring and went to pick my house key but I immediately stopped. I always have only a couple keys on my key ring to keep it from being bulky and I also don’t have that many keys so I immediately noticed a shiny silver key that looked like it opened a treasure chest.

I held the key and started to inspect it closely. The shaft of the key itself was quite long for a key, it was not made recently. The teeth on it were kind of odd, nothing like what you would see on a normal key, the teeth looked like a T with rounded corners sitting on a platform. The head of the key was very creative and somewhat elegant, it was a feat of designing. The head was comprised of two shapes, two circles that were touching each other and two diamonds that were squeezed into the top and bottom. I got tired of looking at the key after a few minutes. I was curious about where it came from and what it was supposed to open if it was even a real key. I held the key and started to move it towards my apartment lock, I never even gave it a second thought because of how curious I was. I slid the key into the hole and to my surprise, it fit. I paused for a second then started to turn the key, I felt the click as the lock started to turn with ease as if it was my actual house key.

The lock clicked indicating that it was all the way opened. I eased the door opened not sure what to expect to be on the other side. As the door opened light started to flood into the hallway, it was so bright I had to shield my eyes. My eyes adjusted and all I saw was a beautiful sunset over a vast wide open plain, I was in shock as to how I was seeing this, how the key even worked on my door, how it even appeared on my key ring when I had never even seen it before. I hesitated then started to take a step forward. I managed to take a few steps in, I stopped, closed my eyes and tilted my head back to feel the breeze and the calmness around. 

An idea immediately popped into my head. I rushed back through the door and forcibly closed it. I reached for the key, turned it and yanked it out of the lock. I practically ran to the apartment next to mine. I reached the door and slid the key in the lock. It started to turn and then it clicked. The door popped open, except this time there wasn't light on the other side. I closed the door completely and opened it again, still no light. Intrigued I opened the door the rest of the way and looked inside. I heard the dripping of water and it splashing on a hard surface. I stepped through the doorway and looked around. I saw a bit of light in an opening a good distance away from me. I was in a cave, the inside was very dank and humid and it smelled terrible. Something shifted around deeper into the cave and the sound resonated throughout. I wanted to know what was making noise so I started to go further into the cave.

I got far enough where I could barely see the doorway. It was so dark, I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I continued until I eventually bumped into what seemed like a large boulder. I started to feel it out to determine how big it was; it was rounded and rough, almost like it was scaled. The boulder then exhaled sharply which caught me by surprise. My heart dropped, realizing that it was not a boulder it was a creature from just about every fairy tale and fantasy book, a sleeping dragon. All I could hear was my heart pounding in my ears, I turned and moved as fast and as quietly as I could, fearing for my life. I made it to the door, ran through, slammed the door behind me and pulled out the key. I pressed my back against the door and slid down until I was sitting.

This mysterious key that I had never seen before, it is filled with possibilities, it leads to different parts of the world, even different realities. Who knows what it is capable of. It is some sort of portal to anything that hinges and what door is used. It's some kind of Gateway Key.

This piece was an assignment for a Creative Writing class where we had to write a story that was at least two pages that is about a key that we chose