Blue Jay | Teen Ink

Blue Jay

By ArissaBolster BRONZE, Corvallis, Oregon
ArissaBolster BRONZE, Corvallis, Oregon

The streets were often bare in the morning, gray as well. Even though the sun was far up in the sky. I always wondered what the sky would feel like. Most people would say nothing… but I have a hunch that it’s the most peculiar sensation. Like young girls my age, I longed to fly. To be like bluejays or some other sort of bird. It was only last night that I started reading Peter Pan for the third time. He was just a boy, but he could fly.

The streets were often busy in the afternoon, steady steps quicken to get home before dark. I find my own pair of feet hasten as I looked up at the radiant sunset, the vast array of colors smeared across the sky. I reached our tenement door, the last bit of color was drained from the atmosphere. I still wonder where it goes.

I know fully well that my parents wouldn’t be home till late, but I still called their names as I walked through the door. My voice echoed down the long hall, filling empty rooms. No response. I grinned silently to myself, and took another step, almost slipping as I shut the door swiftly behind me. I took off my wet boots.

“Wouldn’t want to slip and fall to my death,” I mumbled to myself. I almost sounded like my father. I sofly giggled and peeled off my jacket, hanging it up to dry.

I ran to my room, shutting that door as well. Going straight to my desk I slipped my hand in the dark paneling searching. Silently, my fingers found the hole near the back, and carefully they retrieved a book. The book was yellow like a sun, with small etchings of little people with wings. My eyes greedily took it in and turned the crisp pages to the folded edge. I began to read.

“Second star to the right, and straight on ‘til morning.”

My fingers gently traced the smudged words. I knew that’s where Peter Pan lived… If he could teach Wendy to fly, why not me? I pushed open my window, welcomed by the cold embrace of the north wind. I sidestepped from the window and planted my foot firmly on the rusty, black fire escape. I calmly looked up, the stars winking at me. I needed a better view. My small hands clasp the wet cold bars, slowly beginning to climb. My hands grasped the rungs so tightly they begin to turn white. Gasping I take a shaky breath. Steadily I placed my foot down, soaked socks and chilled feet.

I remember looking up at the dark sky, reflections of silver droplets and pools of gold. I don’t remember letting go, but for a moment I was like a blue jay. For a moment I flew.

I always wondered what the sky feels like, but now I wish I never did. Death is such a peculiar sensation.

“To die will be an awfully big adventure.”

― J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

I feel this piece as a more realistic take on a fantasy world. It focuses on how a child's imagination can become their reality.