A Colorful Prison | Teen Ink

A Colorful Prison

By Bella_Queen DIAMOND, Plymouth, Ohio
Bella_Queen DIAMOND, Plymouth, Ohio

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you.
-Walt Whitman

I closed my eyes remembering all the colors. Red, blue, yellow, green, and others i’ve forgotten. I forget how long it’s been, I stopped counting after day 1,234. I sigh, it’s been so long since i’ve seen color, too long. I open my eyes, hating the darkness of the room. It’s my least favorite color, that is black is. Someone use to tell me that black is death's color, I think it’s true.

I wonder what I look like, it’s been so long that I don’t know. I forget what color my hair is, I don’t even know what my face looks like. I hate that. I remember I used to look in something that would reflect your face in it, I don’t remember what it’s called, so I simply call it the Reflector. Anyway, I use to look in it and see my face, but now everything is fuzzy and distorted. As though in a dream.

My memories started fading after day 312, the first thing I forgot was what a flower looked like. I know it’s colorful, but that’s all I can remember.

I still don’t know how I got here, like I said my memories are hazy. I think maybe I was taken here because of something important. I can’t be sure though. I opened my eyes shaking my head, it was no use to dwell on the past. After all I was stuck here.

Suddenly, the door to my room opened. As though it just wanted to prove me wrong. I stepped toward the door, my eyes wide with curiosity. I stuck my head in the door, and was met with walls lined with Reflectors. I could finally see myself. I stepped all the way into the room, staring at myself, I never knew I had pale blue eyes, or Raven black hair. I never knew about the freckles that dotted my cheeks, or about the dimples I had when I smiled. For a few minutes I just stood there staring at my reflection. Then it changed, the Reflectors turned into a woman in a white room.

“Hello” she said “you must be persona number 3,000,789. My pad says your name is Jocellyn, and that you are 5 foot 3, is this correct?”

I stepped back wondering if the woman could see me. I guessed she probably could.

“Is this correct?” She said again.

“Uhhhh, yes?” I said unsure of what to say.

“Wonderful, welcome to the New World!”

The screen went dead, and the other door flew open. The first thing I saw was color. Color the thing I longed most to see. Yet it seemed strange, different from the colors I had seen before. It seemed too bright, too prominent. It seemed…..wrong. I stepped out the door, noticing other people doing the same thing. No! I thought this isn’t right! I could feel it this place wasn’t the same place I left, it was different.

I turned looking for the door to my room, but it was gone. So I ran right into the woods, searching for a way away from these colors. Then the woods ended into something shimmery, a dome was surrounding this place. We had just escaped our dark prisons, but here we were still trapped. It was just a little more colorful. It was a colorful prison.