Living In The Moment | Teen Ink

Living In The Moment

By nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin
nextkidd30 SILVER, Oregon, Wisconsin

"Now join your hands, and with your hands your hearts."
-- William Shakespeare

I walked along the small wooden bridge that weaved its way through a thicket of trees. The lamps that bordered the outside lit everything just enough so I could see where I was going. The sun had just gone down and the sky was as clear as ever. I didn't bother to bring a notebook or anything. I didn't feel like writing. All I really wanted to do was relax. The sky was so clear and the stars seemed so big that when I looked out my window after dinner I got tempted into going to the beach for a while.

I walked for a few minutes before the trees around me began to disappear and the wood under my feet gradually turned into sand. The sounds of the ocean began to make itself apparent and before I knew it the trees were gone. Nothing but the open sea was in front of me. The stars filled the sky from horizon to horizon, and a small crescent moon was randomly placed in the middle of it all.

I slipped off my sandals and felt the cool sand on the bottoms of my feet. It was quiet and peaceful, not a soul around. Only the sounds of the crashing waves could be heard and the stars seemed about three times as bright than they were back home.

When I went closer to the water I could smell the dampness in the air. It was refreshing. It wasn't a feeling I was accustomed to. Once in sight of the tide I walked along the shoreline, just taking in the natural beauty of it all. The night seemed so calm.

I continued to walk slowly along the beach, just out of reach of the growing tide, and I periodically looked up into the sky. Everything above me made me feel so small, so insignificant. After a few minutes along the shore I went up the beach a little ways to look for a place to sit down. It was then when I spotted someone sitting in the distance. I could only see what looked like the dark outline of a young woman. I couldn't see anything more, but I had a feeling I knew who it was.

I approached her. There wasn't enough light to see her face clearly, but I could imagine her dark eyes and brown hair when she turned her head towards me. My heart began to beat a little harder.

'I was hoping I'd see you here.' She said as I approached.

'You did?' I responded.

'Yeah, this seemed like too beautiful of an opportunity for you to pass up. So I figured you'd come.' Her voice was really soft, almost a whisper.

I set down my sandals and sat in the sand next to her. I crossed my legs at my ankles and leaned back onto my elbows, just as she was doing. 'If I can't become inspired from a night like this, than I probably don't have any hope.' I said.

'Still searching for that inspiration, huh?'

'Yeah . . . I am. And the only thing I've found that helps is talking to you.'

She took a deep breath and then laid flat on the sand before responding. 'Glad I could help.'

After a minute I did the same. I could feel the grains of sand shifting to contour to my body. 'I'm beginning to wonder whether of not this was what I was meant to do, you know?'

'What?'

'I just'I don't know.' I sighed. 'You ever think about what you were meant to do in your life?'

'Too many times actually.' She began. 'And every time I think about it the answer always seems to change. Right now though, I'm meant to paint. And to sketch. And to draw. I was meant to put earth's beauty onto a canvas.'

'It's easy to say that when you know what your passionate about.' I responded.

'And you're not passionate about your writing?'

'Well, I am. It's just'maybe I wasn't meant to become an author.'

'What else could you be meant for?'

'I don't know. Nothing, I guess.'

She paused for a moment. 'Everyone's meant for something. Even you.'

Silence.

'You don't believe me.' She said.

'Well if what you say is true then what am I meant to do?'

'Above all else'above painting and writing. Above athletics and money. Above anything else in this world is the fact that everyone, including you and I, were meant to love.' She said.

I was surprised by her response. 'Love . . . you use the term so loosely.'

'But I don't.' She said, running her fingers softly over my hand. Her touch was gentle and I let her fingers run though my own. Her grip tightened slightly, as if she were making sure I wouldn't let go. I had no intention of ever letting go.

I turned towards her for a second wanting to see her face. A surge of emotion entered my body, and at the moment I wanted nothing more than to hold her in my arms and to kiss her. I saw a smile come onto her face.

'This would make a nice short story.' She said after a moment, her voice was still almost a whisper.

'What's that?'

'You and I . . . this weekend . . . right now.' She replied.

'I guess'maybe. An even better portrait if you ask me though.' I said.

'It'd be difficult to see the canvas wouldn't it?'

'Yeah.'

'But we could wait.' She responded.

'Until when?'

'Sunrise.' She said, letting go of my hand to reach behind her. She pulled out a blanket and spread it across our lower body. She put her arm around my stomach and then laid her head onto my chest. 'I told you I was hoping you'd come.'

She was so close I could feel her breathing as her chest rhythmically went up and down. My body suddenly felt weightless and my heart began to beat quicker. I wondered if she could hear it.

'Something tells me that tomorrow is going to hurt.' I began after a few minutes, speaking softly.

'Yeah . . . I know.' She said. 'To think that in only a few hours we'll be leaving each other. It's hard to imagine never being able to see you again.' She sighed. 'It's something I don't think we should talk about right now through.' She lifted her head and looked at me. 'Sometimes living in the moment is the best thing to do. I really don't want to think too far ahead. Right now, I've never felt so happy.' She leaned in to plant a soft kiss on my lips. She pulled her head away slowly, paused a second to smile, and then laid her head back down onto my chest where it was before.

Neither of us said anything for the rest of the evening. There was no need. She was right, why think into the future when the present is so fulfilling? There was a part of me that didn't want to sleep. I wished it would never end. Her body against mine made me nice and warm though, and her rhythmic breathing began to make me drowsy. Before I knew it my eyes were beginning to droop. I took one last look up at the stars and then subconsciously closed my eyes, falling asleep.

countrygirl123, Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
I actually like this poem to. It's amazing. You should beome a writer!!(:

on Jun. 28 2012 at 3:45 am
kate12345me GOLD, Sydney, Other

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Thoreau
"Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on."

Loved it! However, I kinda skipped the beginning because of the masses of words! It was still good, but I think work on the grammar and check your spelling thoroughly before you submit something! You want to make sure it is perfect in its beauty, right?! :) Great effort, though! Please come check out some of my work!

Jappyalldayeveryday, Detroit, Michigan

They say that good things take time, but really great things happen in the blink of an eye

This is really good. You have real talent. My only suggestion is that you stop publishing on Teenink. I know it seems weird for me to say this, but if you publish here, more serious magazines won't print your work because it's been previously published.

Neytiri GOLD said...
Neytiri GOLD, Hilo, Hawaii

Live as if you'll die today. Dream as if you'll live forever.

This was really emotional and extremely fulfilling and I absolutely loved it. Good job man!!:)

artfullymade14 BRONZE, Chesapeak, Virginia

"Live as if you'll die tomorrow, dream as if you'll live forever."
-Unknown Author

this has happened to me only slightly different. I read your story the day after I left him and I was amazed that this is the first story I read. It was like I was supposed to read it. That it was a sign. Thank you for writing this, it is incredible.

Cameandgonesmarty ELITE, North Vancouver, Other

"One day, your life will flash before your eyes; make sure it's worth watching."

I feel the pain they feel.

You did a really good job.

iamonecoolradiator, London, Other
this was beautiful!! You have great style and talent! If you ever have a spare moment, please look over my work!! x

Dancing2222 GOLD, Sandy, Utah

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken."
"Imagination is more important that knowledge" -Albert Einstein
"Don't ever frown, you never know who's going to fall in love with your smile."

That was really sweet! You kept my attention and had me smiling the entire time. You have the style of a great writer. Keep writing please!

singinginthegardn GOLD, Cowell, Massachusetts

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." ~Anaïs Nin

Very sweet :)

athletegkb44 SILVER, Boise, Idaho

Someday your life might flash before your eyes; make sure it's worth watching.
-Unknown to Me :)

Good!! Please, read, rate, and comment on mine!

AllysonMarie GOLD, Gardner, Massachusetts

“Only an Aunt can give hugs like a mother, can keep secrets like a sister, and share love like a friend.”

I cant believe it. I guarentee you will become a writer one day if publishers made the rite choices! I have tears in my eyes after reading this. Just, perfect.

RainyWriter GOLD, Redmond, Washington

Only the smart, talented, amazing, and insane are remembered in history.

To be honest, romance isn't really my favorite thing. Although kind of generic (the characters could use a little extra spice), I loved how it wasn't overly sappy. The narrator is easily relatable. I liked it. If you're willing, check out some of my work too. I don't really write romance, but I write short stories.

lena.ivette BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 article 1 photo 10 comments
i really liked this! i can totally relate to how he was scared for the future... that's so me ! :) i think something that would help your writing is smoother transitions! you need to let the words flow through you into your story !

Catiestar GOLD said...
Catiestar GOLD, Clayton, New Jersey

You be the anchor that keeps my feet on the ground, I'll be the wings that keep your heart in the clouds <3

This is so good. I love the descrition.

traveler03 GOLD, San Juan, Texas

Living is nothing. Dreaming is something.

I love the description. It was almost as if I was there. Keep writing.

loveisafriendshiponfire, Montgomery, Texas
wow...breath taking i absoulutley love this. it just overwhelms my heart at the thought of if something so wonderful like that could ever happen :)

PippinP GOLD said...
PippinP GOLD, Bolingbrook, Illinois

Faith is like learning to walk; you have to fall at first, but don't stay down. When in doubt, don't stop believing.

Ohh, that looks like I'm saying this is over-sappy. It's not, just wanted to clear that up. =)

PippinP GOLD said...
PippinP GOLD, Bolingbrook, Illinois

I love it!!! I've seen a lot of over-sappy love stories but this one is great!!!

botcrazy12 said...
i love this poem i think that you should become a writter!

JessieB SILVER said...
JessieB SILVER, Elkton, Maryland

an eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind~Ghandi

you think that you could check out some of my writing??? please?? thanks(: