Pertending | Teen Ink

Pertending

By GetItMado BRONZE, Grand Junction, Colorado
GetItMado BRONZE, Grand Junction, Colorado

“Cameron! Wake up! School day!” shouted my mother from down stairs. Pulling the blankets up to cover my face I let out an irritated groan falling back into a dreamless slumber. Moments later I felt the tug of blankets and shivers run through my body. “Cameron I’m not kidding wake up and get ready,” mom threatened. “I’m up! I’m up,” I rasped rubbing the sleep from my tired brown eyes. Mom soon exited my room leaving me to shower. Once showered I walked out into the chilled bathroom and tied a towel loosely around my waist.

After changing into my usual clothing of a black v-neck, tan shorts, and black vans I slowly descended the stairs and wondered into the kitchen. The familiar aroma of eggs and bacon filled my nose a small smile set on my lips as I sat at the table. Mom handed me a plate, immediately devouring it. Once the food was gone I placed it in the sink, saying a quick goodbye, and heading out to my car. Driving to starbucks I ordered both mine and my friends favorites.

“Cameron!” I heard the squeal of Matthew as he ran towards me. He eyed the coffee in my hands totally ignoring my actual presence. “You’re welcome princess,” I teased rolling my eyes. “Thank you Cam,” he grinned sipping at his coffee. “Here Carter,” I bluntly said shoving the white cup at him. “My hero caffeine!” he clapped. “Where’s Nash?” I questioned the two guys standing beside me. “He’s behind you idiot,” replied a tired Nash yanking the coffee from my hands.

“Nash!” I cheered, annoyed roll of the eyes was returned. The bell rang and we scattered to our different classes. Following Nash we meet with Grayson and headed to first hour. Entering the room I accidently bumped into a small figure. “I’m sorry,” I apologized looking down at the short blonde who had her arms crossed over her chest, scowl permanent. She rolled her blue eyes pushing past me and entering into the classroom, her crowd of followers also pushing past. “Oh look Barbie and her wannabes are still living,” Nash whispered.

Without saying anything I walked and took my assigned seat in the middle row next to Grayson. The teacher walked in with a grim look plastered to his wrinkled face. Clearing his throat he grabbed an expo marker and wrote in big bold lettering, ‘POP QUIZ.’ Everyone groaned taking out a pencil. Internally laughing I praised mom for forcing me into studying.

After everyone finished the pop quiz the teacher let us have free time till the period was over. Most kids took naps, chatted with friends, or simply looked at oblivion. Nash came and sat in Grayson’s lap. “So, that sucked,” Nash joked laughing, Grayson joined. “How do you think you did Cam?” Grayson questioned me his arm wrapped around Nash’s waist. I shrugged, “better than you Gray,” I teased with a wink. A growl escaped his mouth as Nash patted his cheek.

Thankfully, the bell rang indicating the start of the next class. Grayson and Nash waved as they walked the other direction of me. With my bag hung loosely off my right shoulder I, for the second time today, walked into someone. A groan left my mouth as I looked down and saw the all too familiar bleach blonde hair and smell of overly used overly priced perfume. “Seriously,” she scoffed, “you again?” she growled. Shrugging I pushed past her and entered into the warm classroom.

Tossing my backpack to the floor I felt a light tap on my shoulder. Turning I came face to face with the annoying popular blonde, Lauren. “It’s rude to not apologize for running over someone,” she flatly said, furry raging in her blue orbs. Ignoring her I simply sat. Another tap was felt on my shoulder with the impatient tapping of her heels. She cleared her throat, “are you just going to ignore me? You need to apologize!” she stated her high pitched voice rising more than usual.

I stood starling her. She backed up clearly intimidated by my towering height. “I’m not going to apologize for something so stupid,” I hissed. With that I again took my set. She let out an irritated huff taking her own seat. A sigh of relief flew from my now chapped lips, running my hand down the spam of my stressed features. The morning carried on without anymore run ins with Lauren, thank god.

When lunch finally arrived I found the guys; Nash, Matt, Carter, Grayson and Ethan, and Shawn all at our normal place outside under a large oak tree. “Hey guys,” I called inching closer to them. “Dallas!” a high squeal sounded. The eyes of all the guys grew in worry, annoyance, or just widened emotionlessly. Stopping in my tracks I quickly faced Lauren, knowing it was her by the sound of her voice. “Yes, princess?” I asked annoyance lacing with the two words that came from my mouth. A scowl now prominent on her makeup coated face as she inched closer to me. “What did you call me?” she hissed through fake white teeth. “You heard me, princess,” I repeated with a small roll of eye. Her nostrils flared. From behind me I heard the guys roaring with laughter. “Oh, your highness. There’s something in your hair,” I stated turning to walk back towards the guys, taking a set in between Shawn and Carter.
Lauren franticly searched her hair, her facial expressions priceless. “Paisley! Help me! Don’t just stand there!” she screamed at her longest follower. Paisley, with wide gray dull eyes, quickly rushed to her friends’ aid hopelessly looking for nothing. “Hey guys,” sounded a girl next to Matt, his arm wrapped protectively around her waist. “Hey Mads,” all the guys union smiling at her then turning their attention back on Lauren.

“Ah, I see Cam pissed off her majesty again,” Madison giggled. “He’s good at it too,” Matt replied pulling her to sit beside him. Everyone stopped when they eyed Lauren stomping towards us, look of revenge blazing in her furious eyes. I sucked in a breath as she stopped in front of me. Her arms crossed her chest. “Follow me,” she bluntly stated turning and walking. Shrugging I stood from my previous position and followed behind the angry blonde. 
I leaned against the wall, looking at her to start talking. “Well?” I asked breaking the awkward silence that bubbled between us. Her blue eyes locked with my brown ones before she began. “I have a compromise to make with you,” she said never letting her eyes lose contact with mine. “As you were saying,” I replied egging for her to continue. “I need a boyfriend,” she simply stated monotone. Brown eyes widening as they looked down at pleading blue ones.

“You what?” I questioned shock adding to my frozen state. She raised her left eyebrow and nodded her head. “I need a boyfriend,” Lauren repeated. “Why me?” I whispered more to myself but she still heard. “Because,” she stated with a light shrug. “Here,” grabbing a post-it note from her purse she quickly wrote down something, “my number.” Gingerly I took the pink paper from her manicured fingers and shoved it into my pocket.

“Text or call if you have questions,” she smiled before turning and leaving. Standing there with utter shock, confusion, and many other unrecognizable emotions. Letting out a deep exaggerated huff I walked back to my group of friends, their eyes burning holes through my body. Nash was the first to speak as I took my pervious set, breaking the forever growing silence surrounding us.

“Care to explain why Barbie wanted to talk?” he interrogated me. Piercing blue eyes watched intently as I opened my dry mouth to speak. “She just asked for a math tutor,” I lied. Nash laughed tears of amusement leaked from his orbs. Awkwardly I joined him as did everyone else. The bell rang signaling the last hours were beginning. Matt grabbed both mine and Shawn’s hands dragging us to 5th hour.

The teacher handed us a packet to work for the full period. After completing the first two pages my phone vibrated in my front pocket. Trying to be discrete I pulled it out and saw I had three messages; one from Ethan asking if Grayson and him could come over after school and the other two from Matt. The first inviting himself over and the second saying that a pink note fell out of my pocket. Swiftly as I could I leaned back on my chair and successfully grabbed the note.

The rest of the day breezed by luckily. Ethan and Grayson, Matt and Nash followed behind to my car, piling in. Through the whole ride Matt along with the twins sat in the back, singing, while Nash sat in the passengers playing on his phone. When my house came into view I abruptly parked the car, in my usually stop, making everyone in the back collide with the seats before them. We raced inside Matt almost tackling mom to the ground. A smile grew as she shook her head, “such children.” 

“Cam I’m stealing food!” Matt screamed at me raiding my fridge then cupboards. “Anyone else hungry before Matt eats everything?” I asked laughing as I did. Nash shock his head grabbing a cup filling it with soda, Ethan copied. Grayson followed Matt’s lead and grabbed as much food as he could muster. Once they were satisfied we headed up to my room. Nash fell on my bed, the others scattering themselves elsewhere. I stood in the middle, awkwardly till my phone vibrated taking me from my trance. I retrieved my phone and checked to see a message from an unknown number.

‘Dallas’ the message read. A small lopsided grin twitched at my lips, knowing who texted. ‘Princess’ I easily replied with a roll of my brown eyes. Within seconds I received another response, ‘so will you?’ she questions. Looking up from my phone all the guys were huddled on my couch, tripod in tacked, camera hooked up, and the sound of familiar arguments of what video to do rang. “I got it!” Matt said profoundly with a huge grin. “Starting recording in ten, nine, eight,” counted down Ethan.

Returning my attention back to my phone I replied, ‘before I answer that I do have some questions,’ and press send. “Cam! Cameron? Where are you?” sing-songed Nash looking at my stance smiling. “Found him!” the twins cheered victory, making me laugh. Walking over towards them I sat on Nash’s lap and looked in the direction of the lens. Throughout our video my phone vibrated with no control. Nash leaned into me, whispering, “bro I think your phone is going to explode.” Matt looked at me with sad eyes but they quickly changed when his phone rang.
Pausing the camera Matt answered the call, a smile immediately forming upon his lips, Madison’s calling. Nash pushed me off him, my head landing in Grayson’s lap. Grabbing a chip from his bag I grabbed my phone from the table and illuminating the screen. Lauren texted me over 50 times. ‘Sorry was doing something with the guys,’ I responded before beginning another one. ‘My question(s), why do you need a boyfriend? Why chose me?’
“Who are you texting Cam?” Ethan asked. “Shawn,” I replied. “What’s he doing? He should come and hang with us,” Ethan smiled thinking about his good friend. “Nothing I don’t think, I’ll ask,” with that I texted Shawn and asked if he wanted to come over. No sooner than when I asked he replied saying he was busy studying and such but definitely wanted to meet up this weekend. “Sorry Ethan Shawn’s busy,” a sad look fell upon his sharp features. “Oh okay,” he replied quietly.

“Fudge,” I cursed under my breath as my phone again vibrated. “What is it Cam?” the guys asked stopping their current entertainment, studying me movements closely. “You guys have to leave, I’m sorry, but please go,” my voice sounded annoyed by the blonde texting me. “Why?” Nash furrowed his eyebrows together. “Lauren’s coming over, okay?” I hissed not meaning for it to be intentional. The guys began laughing. “Guys please leave,” I egged really needing and wanting them to leave. “Why is Barbie coming to your house?” Grayson giggled his ears wiggling as he did. “Tutoring, remember me telling you?” I replied. “I thought you were kidding!” Nash laughed even harder. My thumb traced my bottom lip pinching it.

“I wasn’t! Now go!” I shouted pushing Nash out of the bedroom. “Geez Cam we’re leaving! Chill!” Matt laughed following us downstairs. “You have to tell us if anything ‘interesting’ happens” Ethan seriously said, amusement danced in his eyes. “Okay I promise now leave!” I said shoving all of them out the door, quickly closing and locking it. Leaning against the frame I let out a shaky breath. Shortly a light knock sounded on the other side of the door. Standing to my feet I reached for the handle and slowly opened it revealing a short bleach blonde blue eyed Lauren. “Hey,” she whispered. 

I felt the way she was looking into my eyes all the way down to my toes. The air between us seemed so thick with tension that I thought it would surely suffocate us both. “Want to come in?” I asked uneasy as she averted her long stare to the carpeted entrance. “Sure,” she whispered again following me inside. Her head shot up the instant the door shut, her mouth fell agape. “Wow,” she simply stated. “Nice, right?” I laughed leading her into the large maroon kitchen. Lauren sat on the black marble bar stools, her big eyes scanned around her.

“Can I get you anything? Water? Diet something?” I offered sweetly. A head shack was given as response. Clearing her throat her eyes finally landed on me, “your questions?” she questioned making the situation less awkward and the air not as stiff. “Right,” I laughed rubbing the nape of my neck, “why chose me out of all the guys at school?” A silence filed her features as if she was deciphering her reply. “You’re not like all the guys I have been with or meet. You’re sweet, funny, caring, and so much more. You are a good person Cameron, not like me,” she whispered the last part, guilt laced with her words.

I was taken aback by her words unaware of how to respond. My brown eyes flicked back and forth from hers then quickly averted them. Silence erupted the warm kitchen before I broke it saying, “Thank you for your words but they are not all true. My last question is how are we going to pull this on when all you friends hate me?” A bitter laugh sounded from deep in her throat “you actually think those people are my friends? They don’t care about me, they never have. Paisley is just stupid so I help her,” she paused before she continued. “I’m sorry to hear that Lauren, truly I am. I know you do have real friends you just might not have meet them yet,” I replied feeling slightly sorry for the blonde before me.

“Cameron?” she whispered her eyes meeting mine once again. “Yes?” I said watching her hands as they intertwined together. “You don’t have to say yes if you are against pretending,” Lauren said her eyes blazing into my own. Before I said a word my hand untangled hers, my thumb ran across her knuckles before bringing them to my lips, “I never said no,” I whispered against her hand. Her breathing became hitched.

Warmth radiated off her due to our close proximity. My heart beat was rapid as my hand held hers. “Cameron!” mom called from upstairs her heels hitting the wooden floor at the bottom. “Camer-“ her voice flattered as she spotted Lauren and I in the kitchen. “Oh, who’s this pretty little thing?” mom questioned making her way towards us. “This is Lauren. I’m tutoring her in math,” I responded hoping I didn’t upset her. “It’s nice to meet you Lauren I’m Cameron’s mother,” mom said her voice tense but pleased. “Hello Mrs. Dallas,” Lauren said her recently slouched stance perching up. “Manners, I like her son,” mom whispered a smile etching her darkened lips.
Besides me, Lauren let out a small giggle before looking to the ground. “Were you heading out mom?” I asked, my hands still supporting Laurens. “Yes, I was. Have fun kids!” she smiled before taking a leave, shutting the door behind her. “I like your mom, she’s sweet,” Lauren mused. “Yea,” I sighed. “Come on let’s start your tutoring,” I winked leading her upstairs to my now messy room, all thanks to Matt and Ethan.

“Wow did a hurricane have a party in here?” Lauren teased making a soft grunt be my response. “Pretty much, yes,” I sounded letting out a soft laugh. She eyed my couch before making her ways towards it. “Wait, here let me,” I said rushing to her side, gathering the trash, cords, and uneaten food to place elsewhere. “Thank you,” she said taking a set on the edge, her bag put at her feet. Clearing my throat I reached for my math supplies. “What are you doing?” she asked watching my every move. “Since everyone thinks I’m tutoring you we should make it seem real, yea?” I said sitting a few inches away from her. “I guess, yea,” she replied pulling out her things.
We enjoyed each other’s company for hours till her phone sounded. Taking it from its place in her purse she unlocked the screen. A small frown erased her pervious happy features. “I’m sorry Cameron I have to go. Parents are home,” she said. We held an intense stare until I voiced, “That’s okay. Let me walk you out,” we both stood and walked to the front wooden door. “I had fun, thank you,” she said her eyes locked with mine before she opened the door and let herself out. Closing the recently opened door I let out a huff of breath.

Exhaustion took over my tense body, feet guiding me up to my room. Doing a belly flop on the mattress I pulled the blankets up resting my head on the pillow before falling into a deep sleep. The sound of my alarm awoke me from my rock hard slumber. A raspy groan escaped my chapped lips as I throw the blankets aside turning off the alarm. Wearily my body slumped into the bathroom where I took a long hot shower.

Turning off the water I reached for a towel, dried, and stood before the mirror. My reflection mirrored dark circles underneath my bloodshot eyes, my torso not as toned but saggy, my face pinkish and nose tripping with endless snot. “MOM!” I shouted my voice horse and scratchy. Soon, the padding of feet was heard outside the closed bathroom. “Baby are you alright?” she asked with mock concern. I wobbled to the door and slowly pushed it open. “Oh my baby,” she whispered her hand gently placing itself on the warmth of my cheek.

“Mom, I don’t feel well,” I said. She nodded her head, “I know. Let’s get you back in bed.” Quickly I changed into briefs and basketball shorts before going into bed. Mom had tissues, a cold washcloth, and medication set on my bedside table. “Lay,” she instructed to which I followed the bed dipped underneath my weight. Grabbing the small orange bottle of medicine she plopped two in her hand handing them to me along with a class of water. Once the pills were swallowed she leveled herself to my own pressing a light kiss to my forehead.

Before mom took her leave to shower for work she lowered the chilled washcloth to my forehead. “I’ll come check on you before I leave,” she whispered shutting my door. A harsh cough released from my mouth as I stretched to retrieve my charging phone. The screen blinded me for a split moment before I registered and pressed messaging. I typed a quick message to Nash asking, more like begging, to come over. Seconds later he replied, “YAS thank you! I wanted to skip! Now I have an excuse! Be over soon.” A smile grew upon my lips as my eyes shuttered close. The almost inaudible creak of my door constrained my brown orbs to peak open. Mom’s dress flowered as she walked over to my side, kissing my nose, and leaving for work.      

The sound of the opening and closing of the garage echoed throughout the large house. Sleep enveloped me for the last time as I shut my eyes. A familiar knock sounded on the outer side of my door before the blurry figure of Nash became clear. “Man you look like pure crap,” he giggled. He sat on the edge of my bed. “So did Cam need a babysitter?” Nash teased lying on his back, his pricing blue eyes staring up at the blank ceiling above.

A scoff erupted from my overly moist throat as I positioned myself into sitting. Nash tilted his head as if to observe me, his eyes blazing into mine while his eyebrows furrowed together. “What’s up?” he asked breaking the silence that seemed to have enveloped us. “I am not tutoring Lauren,” I trailed off my eyes falling from his to the ground. “You’re what?” he asked with confusion. “I, Cameron, am not torturing Barbie, Lauren,” I restated sarcastically. Nash rolled his crystal eyes before harshly focusing them on mine once again. “I’m confused then,” he said. “We’re dating,” I whispered. 

Nash abruptly stood from his position on my bed, his eyes showed hurt, disgust and confusion. “You are what?” he yelled. “Lauren and I are together,” I repeated. “What the actual f*** Cam?!” he shouted his large veiny hand ran the length of his define face. “Why Cam? Why Lauren?” he whispered after a moment of silence. “It’s only for show,” I whispered back. Nash moved his orbs from the floor, to the poster behind me, till they reached my own. “It’s only for show?” he repeated with hushed tone.

“I want an explanation Cam, right now,” he hissed irritated. Taking a deep breath brown locked with blue. “When she called me over to talk Lauren said she needed a boyfriend and asked me. For show. For pretend. Nash I don’t like her, I truly don’t.” Nash just glared at me. A deathly silence engulfing us. “Why didn’t you say anything?” he said breaking the quietness that surrounded us. “I didn’t know how you or the others would react to be perfectly honest,” I shyly stated.

Nash retook his set at the edge of the mattress and sighed. “Yes, we might give you crap and tease you. But, never would we judge you Cam. You’re like our brother and brothers don’t judge.” Nash simply stated as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. I shrugged still feeling ashamed I didn’t make aware them sooner. “I’m sorry for not telling you Nash,” I apologized my eyes focusing on anything except his. Nash reached and lightly put his hand on my knee, a smile creeping at his lips before he voiced, “Apology expected.” I let out a sigh of really nothing as my eyes finally made contact with his. 

“So, when she came over after you rudely shoved us out. Did you-“ he started before I cut him off. “Eww Nash! No! I actually helped her with math you pervert!” A light blush etched my face as Nash fell from the bed and laughed with no control. “Bye Cam!” Nash called from down stairs. I yelled back a farewell before my body snuggled closer into my blanket. The buzz of my phone made one eye crack open and my hand stretching for it. A message from ‘Princess’ reveled itself. ‘Hey you okay? Why weren’t you at school?’ she questioned me. A laugh sounded from deep in my throat as I replied, ‘was sick.’

Lauren and I communicated back and forth longer than anticipated  before the sound of the door bell echoed. Lazily I stood from my bed and made my way down stairs to open the door. In front of me stood a tired looking, teary eyed, hair disheveled Lauren. She threw her arms around my stiff neck, her head resting in my chest, the tips of her fingers cooling the warmth. We stood in the doorway, bodies interlocked for hours. Lauren pulled away first, her once coated makeup washed away by her tears and her lips not the usual dark red but a natural pink.

Her bloodshot teary eyes gazed up at my duel brown ones. She stood on her tiptoes, head tilted, lips slightly apart before they smacked into my chapped ones. My body stood frozen debating if I should react or not. But my hands and lips thought against my mind as they snaked around her petite waist and lips kissing in rhyme with hers. It was irrational, spontaneous, and utterly compulsive, but at that moment, I couldn’t find a single ounce of regret within me.

She lingered before pulling back, the warmth of her breath sending chills from my chin to my toes. “I’m sorry I kissed you Cameron,” she whispered her apology. My throat too dry for reply as I looked down at the vulnerable blonde. Emotions leaked out in the creaks that formed in my outer façade despite my attempts to keep them locked inside. She saw right through my fake presence as her cold hands cupped my face, her thumbs circling my jaw as she looked up at me. She was too near now, too close to even think straight as I held her gaze, from mere inches away, as my lips became closer and closer to her own. My now hesitant breaths and eager wants taking over my self control as my moist lips meet hers.

My lips molded perfectly with hers. A low groan escaped from her throat making me smile through the kiss. My hand moved to close the door, immediately pushing her against it. After what felt like an eternity of absolute silence except for the beautiful tangled sounds of lips on lips, we pulled apart. Heavy uneven breaths made our chests rise and fall quickly. My forehead pricked with sweat as I rested it lightly against her own. We rested for hours on end my gaze studying her every detail. My hand lifted to trail hazily over her features. Her jaw, cheeks, brows, nose, and finally her lips passed under my fingertips. Lauren gave me a small smile before she turned and left.

In that moment, I could feel it- the desperate longing to be near her, the reliance I’d formed without even realizing, the haunting ache that settled in my heart when I thought of being away from her. It was something I’d felt for a very long time but had refused to acknowledge, but now it seemed pointless to ignore. The fact was simple, and it just so happened to walk out my front door. I loved her.

That next day I was well enough to go to the torture chamber that was my school. I found Lauren standing with a group of her followers randomly talking and laughing. It was then that she realized me, her eyes full and elite. “Hey,” she sweetly mused a true smile showing past the fakeness. With a simply hi in return I felt six pair of eyes burning holes through my being. A frown plastered her face as I smiled maneuvering my way to my locker. Once all my books were gathered I found Shawn, Matt, and Madison seated against a wall. “Hey Cam,” Madison grinned. She gave gentle wave which I returned. “What’s up crabby?” teased Matt a strange glisten sparked in his brown eyes. I was about to answer when the sound of the bell rung throughout the crowed hallways.

Lauren and I briefly texted during our morning periods. When lunch roamed around we ate together. We walked down the numerous hallways, small conversation was held the whole time. Lauren moved closer to me as we walked in step, her soft pale hand brushing against mine, until her fingers laced and firmly gripped them. The quick action caught me off guard as I whispered her name. “Lauren-“I started, attempting to tug my hand out of hers only for her grip to tighten around mine. She didn’t seem to care that people could easily see; something that both made me elated and also terrified me. Once my hand was free I quicken my pace. “I’m sorry I just don’t feel myself,” I apologized once she caught up with me.

Her face showed hurt and concern. Her blue eyes blazing into me. We continued walking, slow and steady, my heart trumpeting against my ribs. My breathing was heavy and my eyes burned. I could not explain how I felt but what I did know for certain, I was madly and deeply in love with the blonde besides me. My heart acting before my brain. The way I felt was unplanned but completely true as we walked to our next classes.

After a few days I became more comfortable and confident with touching her before the public eye. Every student in school was curious as why we were holding hands. Whispers, points, mocks, and laughs were given to us whenever we pasted. That carried on for weeks with no means of it lifting. It was getting beyond annoying and each one that flew towards us broke us each time, shredding away any happiness we fulfilled vanished.

Spring Break was bounding the corner and I would be lying to say I was not glad to escape the place that was slowly but quickly ruining my life. When school finally lead out I gripped Lauren’s hand and dragged her to the old beat up truck I call my car. The rear view mirrors both shattered, the seat covers, ripped and dusty, and the profound smell of cigar lingered in the closed contraption. My free hand gripped the handle and roughly tugged it opened, Lauren hopping in. Rounding the opposite side I copied my actions and began the truck. A loud thundering sound spit out the back before we were off.

We drove for hours the sun started to shield itself away when I finally parked the truck. My long fingers securely intertwined with hers as we climbed up a small hill, the sun now fully concealed by rocks and darkness when we reached the top. The soft glow of moon light reflected a thin layer of sweat on her shoulders and chest, making her complexion dewy and tantalizingly beautiful. The blue of her eyes, offset by so many shades of the color provided by the small forest around us, appeared even brighter than usual. I blinked away and drew a heavy breath to try and gather my thoughts, something that was becoming increasingly difficult around her.

A single log was placed by the edge of the hill that turned into a slight cliff. My hand lightly tugged at Lauren’s, my eyes blazing into hers, indicating she follow. Once we were both sat I cleared my throat numerous times, unsure if I should tell her or let time take its toll. A little laugh escaped my mouth as I looked from the dirt then to her. I was going to do it. “Cameron, what’s wrong?” she asked concern dancing in her perplexed eyes. “And don’t say nothing, I know something’s wrong,” she quickly added making a ghost of a smile form at my lips.

“I’ve been wanting to tell you something but, I’ve been waiting,” I replied breaking our intense glaze. “Oh,” she whispered a sense of vulnerability reradiated off her glowing begin. “It’s nothing bad, I promise you,” I reassured her. She was quite for mere seconds before she responded, “then why can’t you just tell me?” she asked slightly annoyed. I released a nervous sigh before looking back in her eyes. “Because, I don’t know how you’ll react or if you even feel the same,” I honesty said locking eye contact quickly averting it. The feel of her hand on mine sent fireworks to explode inside me. “I love you Cameron,” she whispered slowly removing her hand to sit lifeless in her lap.

My head shot up from its hunched position to look at her. Her head dipped downwards, her hair casing her beautiful face. She played anxiously with her fingers; locking and unlocking them. Her breathing heavy and uneven. Moving my tense body to kneel in front of her I grasped her hands in mine. “I love you too, Lauren,” I whispered a single droplet of sweat prick at my forehead and descended to the dusty bottom. She was quite and didn’t move her body; so still. If I removed my hands from hers she would fall and break, just as fragile as a china doll. “You have me always and forever,” I whispered breaking the forever deepening silence.

A sniffle and soon tears wet our interlaced hands. Her arms wrapped around my neck, making me lose balance. We sat in the dirt, her arms securely wrapped my neck, tears moist my shoulder, and my hand rubbed soothingly up and down her shacking back. “I can’t take the stares and mocks anymore,” she managed to choked. “You just can’t let them reach you, Lauren. You get more crap then anyone I know in that school. You’re a role model to so many freshmen and sophomores. Lauren, you’re so much stronger then you know. Paisley and all of your other ‘friends’, shouldn’t be disguising the true you with falseness.”
It took her awhile for my words to sink in, as her sniffles and tears slowly subsided. Her head rose from its position in my neck, her eyes were puffy with red lines flowering in her glossy eyes. Her lips meet mine softly; they molded together perfectly. The crevices in our lips fitting together like puzzle pieces. I pulled away but only slightly wanting our lips to still touch as I muffled, “I love you.” Lauren gave me a soft lingering peck before pulling back to gaze in my chocolate eyes. “I love you too.”

The world around us seemed to slowly stop; time freezing. The different colors of lights illuminated from the large city below. A chilled breeze pasted us followed by a group of small birds flying above. In that moment, holding Lauren in-between my legs, our breaths evening out, felt infinite. “Is that what you were debating telling me?” she moused. “It was. I’m just glad you felt the same or,” I slowly trailed off. “Or what Cameron?” she questioned shifting so she was facing me. “I didn’t want to lose you Lauren. You mean everything to me,” I whispered my eyes darting from her eyes to the ground. “I have felt like this for a long time actually. I just never expected to fall so deeply in love with you,” she said her soft hand cupping a side of my face. “Really?” I laughed, “I have too.”
“Do you believe in destiny?” she asked at random. “I do know,” I replied instantly. “Why?” I questioned placing my hand on hers that was creasing my cheek. “I don’t know. I feel like destiny sort of brought was together. Cliché but that’s how I feel,” she answered. I was silenced unaware of how to respond. “It’s not cliché if I feel the same,” I said wearily. She laughed looking at me. “You’re so cute Cameron.” “I know,” I replied cheekily winking.

A few more hours passed till sadly it was time to venture down back to reality. I dropped Lauren off at her house before going to mine. The house was pitch black, the only light was the flicker of a flame. Walking the long trudge up the stairs I opened the door to my room, falling face first into the mattress. I still wasn’t sure if Lauren and I were a true couple or if were still pretending. But the one thing I knew for certain; we both loved each other and that was more than I could have asked.

The guys; plus Madison, adjusted well to Lauren being around. Welcoming her with open arms and love. They treated her like a normal person; not some Barbie. She stopped wearing globs and globs of makeup, her perfume isn’t as potent, and her clothing more relaxed. She looks happy, always smiling and not just a fake smile but a real one. One many eyes not having the pleasure in viewing. She seems at ease. Lauren completely ditched her wannabe followers. Walking through the halls hands intertwined we don’t have people mocking or pointing at us anymore. Life at school is back to normal, as much as it gets.

The pretending we were portraying to each other was lost a long time ago. After our time on the hill, the ‘I love you’ became truth. We are an actual couple, doing things that actual couples do, and it was because of a simple compromise, a few lies, a loss of fake friends, and pretending to make our little destiny flower into something beautiful.

Can the pretending of two completely opposite individuals flower a density?