Prom Night | Teen Ink

Prom Night

By MVReverie GOLD, Arlington, Texas
MVReverie GOLD, Arlington, Texas

I can't drown my demons; they know how to swim.

It was prom. I had a date. I don’t know how I did it, but I did. I had the most beautiful girl in the world upstairs, up there where it seems as though it was Mount Everest because, it’s so far away. It feels like it’s up so high, yet it’s only one floor away. One stairway away.

Then she walks down those stairs. She walks down, her head down, bashful is what she is. But at one moment, in a single moment, she looks up. Our eyes meet. Her eyes that are deep like an ocean, yet so easily see-through. These eyes that still make me wobbly, unstable, as though my legs can’t keep me up anymore. They drain me, these eyes. They keep me there, still, and I can feel her parents staring at me, but I can’t look away. It’s as if vines had trapped me in that spot, as if I was in a sinkhole, with nothing to pull me out. Not that I wanted to get out.
It was at this moment, this simple moment, where I didn’t know whether I was breathing or not, but my heart, oh my heart was alive. It was beating; ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum, the drumming sounded off, leaving me aware of it, yet not aware of it at the same time.

Finally, I gathered my courage, and stepped forward. The sweet aroma of honey came in, and it was sweet, so very sweet, and it reminded me of her, but it didn’t quite match her sweetness. Her innocent, kindness that flowed through the air, wherever she went. Her smile that dazzled and dazed all that saw it.
I was smitten. I know now. But at that moment, that didn’t matter. All that mattered was that she... She was here.

It's a vignette. I hope you enjoy it.

ccscott99 said...
I wait for the day someone feels this way about me and viza versa. Great job capturing that essence.

Matsumi SILVER said...
Matsumi SILVER, Salinas, California
You captured such a beautiful moment. Good job! :)