Life Through Love | Teen Ink

Life Through Love

November 5, 2015
By daynetober BRONZE, Clover, South Carolina
daynetober BRONZE, Clover, South Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is too short and i got no time to sit around wasting it." -Eminem


The flames lick up the walls of the small house. A young girl in the corner cries. Two people, a male and a female, lay dead in a pool of blood. A large black wolf leaps out the front door. The little girl begins screaming.
Luke awakens in a cold sweat. Every night the same nightmare haunts him. It had been fourteen years since his first raid but every night he is haunted by the two lives he took. He gets up, pulls on a black shirt to go with his black pants and boots. He puts a black hooded tunic over himself and looks over the horizon. The day comes dark and cloudy. It was getting brighter and Luke’s eyes are adjusting to the day. It was early and the Clan usually slept till late in the afternoon. Luke slips out of camp silently without waking the Clan.
Luke slips into his animalistic form, a large silver-gray wolf like creature. He is larger than a wolf, and has more strength. He is cunning and very truculent. He has large forearms connecting his muscular body to large paws from which razor-sharp claws protrude. His face and snout are angular and large teeth protrude form his snout. His eyes are the most peculiar things about him. Both of his eyes are a silver gray color. His mother used to tell him his eyes contained moonlight. Luke headed toward the city.
-----------------
Cassidy avoids cities as much as possible. She hates the claustrophobia and bustle of people. Her hunt has taken all over the world but she still hates cities. They also make Were’s very hard to hunt. Anyone, no matter how strange the person, could hide in a city amongst thousands of people. But Cassidy had been hunting for so long she can easily pick a Were out of a crowd in an instant. And right now Cassidy could sense that somewhere in this subway station a large Were is hunting. Cassidy looks around and sees a large hooded figure. She makes her way toward the stranger. She can smell the Were. She decides to follow him. She follows him to the lower subway deck, which is empty. She steps behind him and unsheathes a silver dagger. Silver is the only substance on Earth that can weaken a Were. She takes the dagger and drives it deep into the Were’s back.
-----------
Luke knew something was wrong when this human began following hm. He knows about the Were Killer but he never thought he would be face to face with him. Now, as the strength drains from his being, he knows he has made a dreadful blunder. He falls to the ground face-first. The Were Killer pulls the dagger from his back and turns him over. He is startled as a female face stares back at him. He looks deep into her crystal blue eyes and he is transported back to that night fourteen years ago. This is the little Seraph girl. She is the heir to the throne of Seraphs, a society of angelic beings tasked with protecting humans. The Were Clans have been tasked to search out and destroy every last one. Luke knows karma is on her side as she presses a knee to his chest and pulls out a large silver sword. His strength is beginning to return but not fast enough. She presses the point of the blade to his chest.
-------------
Cassidy stands with the sword pressed to the Were’s chest. She always asks one question.
“Do you recognize this sword?” The Were who killed her father would remember the sword. But before the Were can answer, Cassidy hears footsteps behind her. She whirls around and sees three Weres coming down the steps. She knew her odds against four Weres are slim to none. But she is prepared to fight. She shifts the sword to an upright position and readies herself.
------------
Luke knows this Seraph has no chance against the members of his brothers Clan. Dawson and his Clan are a bloodthirsty, vicious pack of Werewolves. Luke’s strength had mostly returned. He leaps up and steps in front of the Seraph girl.
“This one will come to no harm.” His voice is ferocious. He knows he has just betrayed his Clan and his brother. But he knew it was coming. He never agreed with his brother’s savage ways.
“I wonder what your brother will say when he hears that the heir to the Clan just committed an act of treason,” says one of the Clan. This was Jamie, one of Dawson’s most loyal warriors.
“He won’t know if no one tells him. Or is alive to tell him.” Luke squares his shoulders. He forces his claws out. The other two Weres come at him quickly. He ducks a swipe from the first one and swings his right claw, slicing open the back of his legs. Then Luke slices open the neck of the second one, killing him. He then slams all five claws on the left hand deep into the chest of the first Were, killing him as well. Finally Jamie came forward.  He runs at Luke, but when he gets to him, before a swipe can be thrown, Luke grabs him by the throat. Luke squeezes hard. Then he throws Jamie on the tracks and a subway hits him as it flies by.  Luke turns to the Seraph.
“We have to go. More will be here in no time.” Luke grabs her by the arm and pulls her out of the subway tunnels.  They keep moving until they reach an old abandoned warehouse, which they go inside.  For the moment they are safe.
“Why are you helping me?” The Seraph asks. Luke has to think for a moment. He really doesn’t know. Something about this woman intrigues. He feels like they’re connected.
“I don’t know. Maybe it was meant to be.”  He scans the building. “I’m going to see if I can track the Clan.”  He heads towards the door.
“My name is Luke by the way.”
“I’m Cassidy.” The Seraph, the one he spared so long ago, had a name.  Luke turns and leaves.
------------------
Cassidy can’t understand this Were. Luke. He is so confusing. She can’t get around the feelings she has for him. He isn’t like anything she encountered before. She almost feels that she loves him. But is that even possible? For a Seraph to love a Were? And in such a short time? And only was it now that she notices it. A Were is here. It is not Luke. It is a bigger Were.
“You really don’t know what you’ve gotten yourself into?”  A deep, gravelly voice says behind her. “You think you have feelings for him?  Have you really looked into his eyes and learned who my brother really is?” So this must be Dawson.
“What are you getting at?” Cassidy hides the fear in her voice.
“Did you notice the moon glow eyes? Where else have you seen those eyes?”  Dawson snarls. Cassidy is transported to the night her parents are killed. The silver wolf with the eyes that glow like the moon that killed her father.  She whirls around but Dawson is gone.
-----------------
Luke could not find any trace of the clan so he returns to the warehouse. He enters and finds Cassidy standing, her sword in hand.  He approaches carefully.
“Why didn’t you tell me it was you?” Cassidy asks. Luke knows she is speaking of her parent’s murder.
“Because I never wanted to hurt you. I have wished all my life that I could do something to atone for your parents and the pain I caused you.”  Luke kneels down. “And if you must take my life to make things right, then I sacrifice my life to you.” Luke lowers his head.
Cassidy lowers her sword. “Why would you do that for me?” Luke looks up, a softness in his eyes. He sees Cassidy’s vulnerability.
“Because I love you.” He stares deep into Cassidy’s crystal blue eyes.
Then a dark silhouette steps from the shadows, clapping.  Luke instantly recognizes his brother. Seven other silhouettes come out of the shadows. The Wolf Clan.  Dawson steps forward and places a hand on Cassidy’s shoulder.
“Such passion. Pity it was all in vain.” He hurls her into a wall. She hits it and collapses on the floor, unmoving. Luke feels his temper and ferocity building.
“Kill him!” Tossing commands the Clan. All seven to send him Luke but, before they can reach him, he picks up the silver sword Cassidy dropped. Swiftly they attack him but he is strong and the sword is light. In a short time but with much effort he kills all the Clan.  But, as he kills the final one, his brother in his animalistic form jumps on him and bites down on his neck.
Dawson and then returns to his human form leaving Luke wheezing and bleeding on the floor. He grabs the sword Luke dropped when he grabbed his throat. Then Dawson pulls Luke to his feet.
“Goodbye, brother.”  Dawson plunges the sword into Luke’s stomach. Luke looks down at the sword, then grabs the hilt and looks up at his brother.
“If I’m to die, then you are coming with me.” Luke unsheathed the sword from his body and drives it into his brother’s heart, all in one swift move. Dawson falls to the ground. Then Luke falls to his knees and finally collapses on the ground, taking a final rasping breath.
-----------------
Cassidy came to just as Dawson drove the sword into Luke’s gut. Now she comes over to Luke and falls on the ground, weeping.
“I love you too, Luke.” She says through the tears. Then three tears land on Luke’s face. As the final tear strikes his cheek, breath returns to his lungs. Cassidy continues crying. Luke’s eyes open. He reaches up and brushes the hair from her face. Cassidy is startled and overjoyed.
“Why is it you cry, my angel?”  Luke sits up and cups her face in his hands.  Then he leans forward and kisses her, deeply, passionately. And in that moment they both know one thing: as long as they are together, nothing will defeat them.

The End
Universal truth: “Love overcomes all, even death.”