Crimson Tears | Teen Ink

Crimson Tears

By CrimsonTearsWillFlow PLATINUM, Mesa, Arizona
CrimsonTearsWillFlow PLATINUM, Mesa, Arizona

"Sleep. Those little slices of Death: Oh how I loathe them..."
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity..."
"Deep into that darkness peering long I stood there. Wondering...Fearing...Doubting..."
- Edgar Allan Poe

*His POV*

I watched as she pulled in, driving her mom's car. Everything in my heart said what I was about to do was wrong but my head just told it to shut the hell up. She started running toward me when she spotted me leaning against my faded, blue Chevy. Dread and anxiety filled me as her beautiful, golden hair flew behind her. She caught me in a hug, the force pressing me up against the door handle. I quickly pulled away from her warm embrace before she had the chance to kiss me.

“What’s wrong?” She asked clearly confused.

“Umm…there's someone else.” I blurted out, avoiding eye contact for fear of my eyes giving away the truth. I had to force the words out, but it was for her own good. My endless scars and flaws said I wasn’t safe to be around. My ugly past said she deserved better than me.

She laughed, but when she looked up at my face and realized that I was serious, her full-toothed smile slowly faded.

“What…what do you mean? We are meant to be together. I love you.” She said, her eyes wide with panic. Her grip tightened on my arms when she said the three words that held so much meaning to me.

“I don’t love you.” I said in a hard voice with a voice of steel. She must have finally realized what I was saying because she dropped her arms from me and stumbled back, almost tripping on her worn ballet flats. I half expected her to burst into tears and start sobbing or turn around and run or just laugh and claim I'm joking. But, instead, she just stood there frozen in a state of shock. Hurt, sadness, horror, and pain flashed in her beautiful chocolate brown eyes.

I quickly turned around and jumped into my car, slamming the door so hard the windows shook. I almost turned back around, apologized and begged her to take me back. When I drove off, I made the mistake of looking in the rear view mirror. She still stood where I had left her, tears collecting on her long, dark lashes, silently running down her beautiful breath-taking face before it all disappeared as I turned the corner.

Those precious tears cut me deeper than any blade ever could.

*Her POV*

My eyes followed the car that had taken us on so many adventures disappear behind the corner. It was as if he stabbed me with a million knifes then spit on my wounds. No pain could ever compete to what he just did to me with those four words.

I turned and ran into the woods. Branches slapped against my wet, sticky cheeks. I could feel drops of blood hit my thighs, but I didn’t care. I just had to end my pain. I didn’t stop running until I reached the cliffs. His words kept running through my head like a broken record getting louder and louder. I don’t love you. I don’t love you. I don’t love you. Another drop of blood hit the ground like a crimson tear. I looked down into the canyon and saw only darkness. The peacefulness seemed so inviting compared to the screaming in my head. When I couldn’t bear the pain and aching in my chest where my heart should have been, I jumped. My last thoughts were of him kissing me on the head, us dancing in the kitchen and singing to the radio. Then I hit the ground.

*His POV*
*Two days later*
    I sat on the creaky motel bed staring at the television screen seeing nothing, hearing nothing. I was completely empty. I had left my heart and soul with her. But then I heard something that caught my attention and brought me back to reality. I snatched the remote off the filthy bedside table and turned up the volume.

“Here is a photo of a girl that committed suicide by jumping off this cliff. Poor girl probably had boy troubles.…”
     I paused the television at the image of her beautiful face and stared at the screen. There she was lying in the dirt with a peaceful expression on her face. Dried blood on her soft cheek where my hands fit perfectly, and where they belonged.
     My world stopped. My breathing stopped. My sorrow filled heart beats stopped. I couldn't and refused to live any longer.
     I knew that when I let her go I would never be able to see her again, but at least I knew that she was alive. Now that I knew she wasn’t, there was no use living. She had been the only string holding me to this world, and when she cut it, she had taken everything left in me with her.
     I ran to the bathroom, snatched my razor off the smooth countertop, and slowly drew a precise vertical line from each elbow to each wrist. As crimson tears flowed down each forearm and off my fingertips, I remembered brushing her hair out of her face, us rolling down grassy hills laughing the whole way, kissing her on her forehead, whispering I love you, catching her in my arms and spinning her around and lastly the feeling of her soft lips on mine. Don’t worry baby I’m coming. I smiled as the darkness caved in, and I collapsed.

*Two weeks later*

Her mom clicked on the TV and stared at the news reporter with tears in her eyes,

“This is footage of this afternoons double funeral for the girl who committed suicide two weeks ago by jumping off a cliff and for the boy who committed suicide two days after due to his broken heart by slitting his wrists. Friends and family say they were deeply in love and cherished each other dearly. They are still clueless to why these two precious people took their own lives but at least now they can be together forever…”

The screen flashed to an image of the beautiful couple lying together in an extra large coffin. Both of their fingertips slightly touching with peaceful expressions.

Her mom gave a tiny smile and turned off the television and walked away at peace for the first time in weeks knowing that they’re finally in peace and happy.