Ghost Boy | Teen Ink

Ghost Boy

August 18, 2014
By Mia_V BRONZE, Farnham, Other
Mia_V BRONZE, Farnham, Other
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Once, a boy haunted a marina. He would drift aimlessly across the pontoons, whistling songs of woe to himself as he went. To everyone, he was invisible: unseen, unheard, uncared for.

Until she came along.

She was wealthy, granddaughter of a countess. She was also heiress to a huge fortune when she turned 16, which was to be the next year. She was beautiful, with admirers trailing after her like puppy dogs, but no man had ever held her attention.

Until she saw him.

The moment their eyes met they fell for each other, the ghost boy and the countess girl. They were soul mates, made for each other. They were meant to be. But yet they would never truly be together, for the boy was immortal and the girl would eventually die. So together they devised a plan.

The day before the girl was due to leave to go back to America, they stood together on a pile of rocks next to the sea. Linking hands, they looked into each others eyes one last time before plunging into the sea, sinking down to the seabed.

The ghost boy kept his hand firmly around hers even as she began to thrash uncontrollably, keeping her grounded on the seabed. A peaceful smile came over her face as water rushed into her lungs, and death covered her like a shroud of oblivion.

When she opened her eyes, she was lying in the seabed next to her ghost boy, who was watching her with a look of euphoria in his eyes. Like his, her form was now blue and eternal, flickering yet so much more solid than before.
Because she was finally with her ghost boy, united and as one. They could be together forever, her and him. As one. The ghost boy and ghost girl.

Together.

At last.


The author's comments:
I hope to write a proper novel based on this short story!