First Encounter | Teen Ink

First Encounter

By WynterPage95 ELITE, Monticello, Arkansas
WynterPage95 ELITE, Monticello, Arkansas

"It's better to burn out than to fade away..." -Kurt Cobain

I met him at the library, I was looking through some old books and I saw him looking at me through the shelves. I should've been surprised, I should've been creeped out, but his attractiveness made that nearly impossible. He smiled when I didn't run away, he knew that I was strangely okay with this interaction. Then I saw him move away from his place and move towards the front of the shelf. He peeked his head over, I guess to make sure I wouldn't move away. When I didn't, he came all the way over and made his way towards me.

I was struck by his eyes, although his dark thick eyebrows nearly swallowed them, they were strangely seductive and captivating. He was taller than I had expected, or it was just the tight black shirt he had on with the sleeves pulled up to his elbows. His forearms were defined and strong-looking, something that excited me even more as he got even closer. He seemed considerably older than me, but still I was attracted. Soon he was standing right next to me and I was holding my breath.

"So..." I stumbled over my words, "why exactly were you staring at me over there?"

He smiled with a whimsical look in his eyes, "I didn't mean to stare, but once I caught sight of you I couldn't look away."

His voice was deep and surrounding, even though he was barely speaking above a whisper, it wasn't gruff it was smooth. I tried to look away from his face but his eyes just grabbed me and held me close. I fumbled with the book in my hands.

"So I would guess that you have a name, right?" he gently reached over and took the book from my hands so I wouldn't drop it.

"Yes. " I smiled this time, amazingly at the floor. "My name is Eden."

He raised his eyebrows as if plesantly surprised, " I like that name. I'm Lee." he held his hand and I shook it.

"It's nice to meet you Lee." I looked at him again, and felt my heart go faster.

"Same to you Eden. Do you think you can handle this book now?" he handed it back to me.

I nodded and thanked him and reached for the book. My fingers brushed across his hands and I blushed uncontrollably. We stood for a seconds in silence then as we both looked at each other, wondering who would be the one to make a first move. He cleared his throat however and bowed his head to me as he turned to leave. He turned away and started walking away and I let my head hang in disappointment. I had been alone for too long, and I cursed myself for not putting on more makeup before coming here, and for wearing my glasses. But then, I saw him stop and turn back around. He came walking, much faster this time towards me.

He stopped next to me, even closer this time and leaned his head down so that his lips were right next to my ear. "Forgive me Eden for being so strange, but I just can't leave now not knowing if I'll see you again. And I'm not the kind of man to leave something like that up to chance. If you would, please meet me at the coffeeshop around the corner tomorrow afternoon." I could hear the nervousness in his glass voice.

He didn't move his head away, but turned it slightly so I felt his lips brush against my cheek. I felt a brief chill on my skin as he inhaled softly.

"But Lee, if that is your name, for all I know you could be some serial killer." I just wanted to play with him a little, just to see if he was truly interested.

I felt him chuckle against my cheek and he brought his fingertips to my neck and caress it slightly. I shivered at his touch.

"Well if you really think that, then why do I feel that your heart is racing and your breath is uneven from anything but fear?" he was coy and almost planned in his words, as if he had choreographed this whole first encounter.

"Well, I guess you'll find out if you're right about that tomorrow." I turned my face towards his so that our lips were inches from each others. I could feel the tension in his head and see it through his clenched eyes as he debated whether to close the small distance between them.

He pulled away though, only creating more electricity between us. He reached for my hand and brought it slowly to his lips. The kiss was soft and long and only filled me with more desire, but I hid as much of that fact from my face as I could. He gave me back my hand then and looked at me one last time.

"I shall be anticipating your answer then Eden." he bowed then and turned around as he began to leave.

I stood there, still clutching the book I had forgotten the name of as he walked away and disappeared from my sight. I leaned against the shelf and clutched the book to my heart, willing it to slow down. I wanted to chase after him right then and have him wherever it was that we found ourselves, my cheek and hand still tingled from his touch. The thought of him was addicting although I only knew his name; still I knew that I wanted to know more, and I wanted to tell him more.

So I walked up to the counter to check out my book and began to plan what outfit I would wear tomorrow for the coffeeshop...