His Roses Are Red | Teen Ink

His Roses Are Red

April 30, 2014
By sophiacousins BRONZE, Erie, Colorado
sophiacousins BRONZE, Erie, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Time seemed to stop and memories of their son and daughter flashed in front of them as the car flipped around. The night was blurred with colors of the sun setting in the distance. The light glowed, barely visible as the sun set behind the woods. The assailant left Amanda and Sam slowly dying. The last thing Amanda and Sam heard was the crunching of leaves when the assailant ran from the scene. The ambulance came and rushed Amanda and Sam to the hospital. The couple lay there and shared their last breath together before their lives were taken from them.

It has been one year since the tragedy, a few weeks into summer after Spencer’s sophomore year.

Everyday, Spencer writes in her diary. She writes stories about fantasies that she wishes would happen. Her story starts...

“His eyes put me in a dream and he walks past, shooting me a smile…”

Spencer is interrupted by her best friend, Julianne, calling her to come outside. Spencer shoves her diary under her bed and runs outside telling her aunt she’ll be back at 7:00. Both girls walk and look at the colorful houses. The trees and grass smell fresh and beautiful. The two friends go to the park and sit down to talk.

“How have you been?” Julianne asks.

“I’m alright. How was your trip to California?” Spencer asks.

“My trip was amazing. However, I missed the mountains so I came back. I met this really cute guy and he asked me out. We went on a few dates but I had to leave. The good thing is that he is moving to Colorado with his best friend.”

“Wow that sounds like an exciting trip. What are their names?”

“My boyfriend’s name is Jason and his best friend is Kyle.” Julianne replies

“I’ll see you later.” Spencer yells behind her as she walks away.

The next day, Spencer wakes up early and goes on her morning jog. She runs out the door and collides with a guy carrying a box to his house.

“I am so sorry! Here let me help.” Spencer says.

“It’s alright. What’s your name?”

“I’m Spencer. What’s yours?”

“I’m Kyle.”

“Oh! My friend, Julianne, told me you were moving here with your friend Jason,” Spencer replies.

After Spencer and Kyle clean up, Kyle invites her inside.

The next day, Spencer sits in her room, thinking about what to write, when an arrow is shot through her window and lands in the wall. Spencer walks over to the arrow and reads the note in which the arrow is stabbed through. It says…

“I love you with all my heart!”

Spencer goes to her window and sees Kyle, smiling back, holding a bow. Once she leaves the window, Kyle reaches in his back pocket for his phone. Kyle pulls up a security tape that shows Spencer coming downstairs. Before going on their first date, Kyle shoves his phone into his pocket after turning off the cameras in Spencer’s house.

Over the next few weeks, the couple keep going out and having an exceptional time. Julianne and Jason break up and she and Spencer are growing apart. Since the breakup, Julianne has been investigating Kyle’s past. She has been through newspapers and stories seeing if he has any connection to Spencer’s past. After starting to give up, Julianne finally finds an outdated newspaper article that proved there might be some connection. She prints out the newspaper and runs to Spencer’s. Julianne finds Kyle saying goodbye from her hideout in the bushes.
After Spencer goes inside, Kyle pulls his phone out and turns the cameras back on. Once he leaves, Julianne comes out of the bushes and goes inside. She grabs Spencer’s arm and takes her upstairs. Julianne shows Spencer the video she took of Kyle turning on the cameras and gives her the newspaper. There was an article about her parents’ death and pictures of the person running away. Spencer flips inside and finds a pictures of the person’s face but they’re blurry.

“This isn’t Kyle,” Spencer yells at her friend, and she runs out. Julianne spies a camera in the corner of Spencer’s room and she grabs it. She faces the camera and says,
“I know you killed Spencer’s parents and I feel you are going to do the same thing to her.”

Kyle replies with a huge grin on his face, “I have no intention to kill Spencer. I am going to do something else, much worse. I’m going to completely shatter her heart. If you tell her, you will be the one that dies.”

Julianne just stands there with a look of shock on her face and throws the camera vigorously at the wall.

About a year later, three days before Valentine’s day, Spencer and Kyle are still together and Spencer hates Julianne. The couple are planning to go out to dinner and a movie on Valentine’s Day. Julianne is secretly going to be there in case the unspeakable event occurs.

The next day is the day before Valentine’s Day. Kyle and Spencer are at the mall and they pass an engagement ring shop. Spencer grabs Kyle’s hand and drags him inside. She glances at the beautiful rings and points at one she especially likes. Kyle says,

“My love, I have something to tell you. I don’t love you. I never did. Julianne was right about me, I killed your parents.”

Spencer stares at him with a look of horror and Kyle looks back with a smirk.

On Valentine’s Day, Spencer is sitting in her living room when someone knocks. Julianne walks in and gives Spencer a long hug.

“I’m so sorry Julianne.”

“It’s okay. Kyle left for good. He told you because he wanted to hurt you severely so you wouldn’t go looking for him when he left. He’s always had something against your family.”

Spencer’s brother, Will, comes down and hugs Spencer.

“I love you Spencer. And I always will.”