One More Thing Before You Go | Teen Ink

One More Thing Before You Go

By Erica Coyne BRONZE, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania
Erica Coyne BRONZE, Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania

“One more thing before you go,” Ryan softly spoke as he reached into the pocket of his worn out jeans. Carly’s eyes followed his hand, eagerly wondering what he was going to give her. He stumbled nervously as he shuffled his hand around in his pocket, hiding his eyes from hers. Her heart pounded intensely in her chest, vibrating her whole body. She refused to blink, fearing that if she did she would miss what was going to happen next. After what felt like the longest moment of her life, he pulled out his hand, revealing a folded note along with a key taped to the outside of it. Carly took the note from his palm, struggling to keep a firm grip on the piece of paper She managed to steady herself enough to put the note in her purse, wondering what secret message could be awaiting her.

She placed her purse on the wooden floor and the two gave each other one last goodbye hug and kiss, both on the verge of tears. Carly rested her head on Ryan’s chest and was engulfed by his muscular arms. She cherished the warmth that radiated from his body, knowing it would be the last hug she would get for awhile. He was assigned to leave for Iraq the next morning and she had no idea when he would be back, or if he would make it through alive. All she knew was that she was going to be a mess. They met each other when Carly was a junior in high school and Ryan was a senior. Carly had always thought she had no chance with someone like Ryan, not only the smartest guy in the school but the most attractive. His voice was ethereal, leaving every girl swooning if he were to even utter their name. Little to Carly’s knowledge, Ryan was just as doubtful that she would ever notice him. After both getting a job at the local restaurant near their school, she came to find out that he thought she was the perfect girl. Ever since then they had become inseparable.
“Take care of Chip for me,” Ryan said lightheartedly, revealing his big white teeth in a smile she knew all too well. Chip was his chocolate lab that he loved more than anything. He didn’t leave her alone with just anyone.
“I will, but only if you promise to write me every day,” Carly replied.
“I’d say I’m off to a pretty good start,” Ryan smirked and motioned his head toward Carly’s purse that lay next to her on the floor, “there’s plenty more where that came from. But just remember, you aren’t allowed to read it until you get home.”
“Ugh, you are torturing me! I wish I could just read it now,” Carly sighed and Ryan pulled her a little closer. Carly let out a weak cough, causing Ryan to release her from his grip.
“You alight?” he asked. A solicitous look crinkled the top of his forehead. “You better not be getting sick; I won’t be here to bring you soup and make you feel better.”
“I’m fine; I’m probably just getting a cold or something. Anyway you shouldn’t be worrying about me, you are the one flying across the world in less than twenty four hours,” Carly replied a bit too quickly.
“I’ll be back before you know it. I won’t leave you alone. I am going to come back for you Carly Shelton.” Ryan pushed her dark brown hair from her faced and kissed her lightly on the forehead.
With a torn heart and no words left to say Carly picked up her purse and forced herself to shuffle down the walkway of her boyfriend’s house. She fought the urge to turn around and run back to him, but she knew that that would only make things harder for her. She focused on her car parked twenty feet away and looked down at the concrete that was decorated with a light blanket of snow. She finally reached the car door and was relieved that the hardest part was over. Now all she had to do was drive far away, back to her cozy Maine cottage. Carly tossed her purse into the passenger seat and quickly fastened her seat belt. Click. Carefully pulling out of the driveway, she caught a glimpse of Ryan’s face peeking out the front window. Despite the flurries falling from the sky, she could still see that his is elegiac hazel eyes were drooping with sadness. She had never seen him look so sad and she couldn’t bear it. After successfully backing out of the driveway, she slammed her foot down on the gas. The tires of her beat up Jeep screeched against the icy roads and she zoomed out of the neighborhood without hesitation. The street signs and trees meshed into one big blur as she sped down different streets, running through countless stop signs. She ignored the angry honks aimed towards her and instead drowned them out with music that was loud enough to permanently damage her ear drums. All she wanted to do was get home and read the note that was silently taunting her. She kept her hands glued to the steering wheel, refusing to reach over and grab the note. There was so much that it could possibly say. Thousands of scenarios played in her head like a movie on fast forward.

After thirty minutes of driving and thinking, Carly arrived home more anxious than she’d ever been before. She halted her car to a stop and immediately grabbed her purse, ripped it open and pulled out the piece of paper Ryan had given her. She unfolded it, inhaled one deep breath, and read:
Carly,
I could not imagine myself ever loving anyone as much as I love you. I am not only going to Iraq to fight for my country, but I am going to fight for you. Go into your room and use this key to unlock a box that you will find.
Love,
R.J
P.S. Try not to worry about me, I’ll be fine.
Carly swung open the car door and bolted towards her house, nearly slipping on the front steps. She made her way inside and up to her room. She pushed the door open and there, sitting on her black and white comforter, was a bouquet of flowers along with a small box, no bigger than the size of her palm. The box looked not old, but antique. There was a certain beauty to it, as if it had belonged to a great grandmother. She took the key and glided it into position, turning it to the right. The top of the box popped up and she gasped when she saw what was inside. A sparkling silver promise ring rested effortlessly on the red velvet inner lining. Tears welled up in her eyes and butterflies fluttered in her stomach. The ring fit perfectly on her finger, like it was made just for her, and suddenly she had hope that everything was going to be okay.

Beep beep beep. Carly slammed her hand down on the alarm clock and jolted up. It was seven in the morning, an hour before Ryan was scheduled to board his flight. Although she had never in her twenty four years of life been a morning person, Carly wanted to make sure she was up to wish Ryan good luck. She called him and told him how much she loved the promise ring and that every day it would remind her that soon he would be home and they could spend their lives together. After a ten minute conversation she hung up the phone, and the reality of it all hit her. She glanced over towards her dresser and let out a gasp at the sight of the wilting flowers Ryan had left for her. She hurried over and picked up the bouquet. The orchids that had been a bright purple just the day before were now wizened and dull. Carly stomped her foot in anger, frustrated with herself for forgetting to put the flowers in water. Why am I always so forgetful? Carly screamed inside of her own mind. Reluctantly she decided to take the bouquet out to the trash; after all there was no use keeping a bundle of dead, sad looking flowers. Still in her pajamas, Carly made her way down the steps and to the front door. She slipped on her moccasins and pulled the door open, immediately getting hit with a rush of bitterly cold air. The winters in Maine were always harsh, so the frigid temperature did not come as much of a shock to Carly. She was used to the daily sprint to the mailbox where her body would go numb and her face would get whipped with stinging wind.

“One, two, three, GO!” Carly counted aloud and set off on a sprint to the trashcan at the bottom of her driveway, flowers in hand. After running down and back she nearly collapsed at the front of her house. Her legs were unusually weak, her lungs burning. Carly grasped her chest in attempts to mitigate the pain, but suddenly her body convulsed into violent coughs, sending crimson splashes onto her hands. Carly screamed at the sight of blood, but was far too weak to get up. She lay there helplessly, and soon was unconscious.

Carly’s eyes opened slowly, a rush of brightness entering her pupils. The light was too painful to bear and she groaned as she felt a rush of heat flood throughout her body.

“She’s awake!”

“Oh my goodness she’s awake!”
A murmur of familiar voices filled the room and suddenly Carly became more cognizant. It was the voice of her mother and father. Carly forced her eyes open and there she saw her parents sitting next to her bedside. That’s when she noticed that she was not at home, but instead in a hospital room. The all-white walls, bed, and even gown she was wearing made her feel trapped and claustrophobic. A sterile smell filled her nostrils, and her stomach flipped back and forth nauseously.

“Mom, dad, what are you doing here? What am I doing here?” Panic began to overwhelm Carly.

“Do you not remember?” Carly’s mother, Joanne, asked in a voice that was sweeter than honey.

“Your neighbor found you lying face down on the front step outside of your house for God’s sake! And with nothing on but pajama pants and a sweatshirt!” Carly’s dad, Ed, interrupted. His voice boomed throughout the hospital room, almost strident enough to break the pictures that hung lifelessly on the wall.

“Shhh, lower your voice Ed! This is not the time to scold anyone.” Carly’s mom replied, her voice still managing to stay sweet and soft. Before Ed or Carly had the chance to reply, a middle aged bald man wearing a blue doctor’s uniform entered. His facial expression was vehement, making Carly’s heart drop down to her stomach. A vivid memory took over her mind and she flashed back to earlier that morning: January 6th, 2004. Ryan’s departure. Orchids.Collapsing.Lack of breath. The doctor could clearly depict the shock displayed across Carly’s face. He walked over and placed a cool hand on Carly’s shoulder.

“Hello, I’m Dr. Tanner,” the man held out his free hand as he introduced himself. “I know you have had a rough morning, and you must be really tired…”

“What’s wrong with me?” Carly interrupted sharply. Her cheeks flushed when she realized how rude her tone was. She lowered her eyes from Dr. Tanner’s, not sure of how he was going to react.

“Well,” the doctor began calmly, “I am afraid you have pneumonia. A very serious case as a matter of fact. I am so sorry to share this news with you, but there is still some hope.”
Carly’s ears began to ring; she couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She immediately looked down at the promise ring wrapped around her finger. Ryan was in Iraq facing bombs, gun shots, and turmoil, and now she was sitting in a hospital bed. She had to fight through just for him, after all he was in a foreign country fighting for her and for millions more people. For the next hour Carly sat lifeless, listening to her parents alternate between sobbing and telling her that she would get through this. They were then interrupted by a nurse who walked in and was holding a letter. She walked over and handed the letter to Carly, telling her that it had just arrived for her and was from one of the soldiers sent to fight in Iraq. With a surge of excitement, Carly ripped open the letter which said:
Carly,
I am writing you this letter as I sit on the plane. We are scheduled to land in a few hours! I miss you already but whenever I feel lonely I just look down at my promise ring and know that we can get through this together. Say hi to everyone for me!
Love,
R.J.
P.S Stay warm!
Tears of happiness as well as sorrow filled Carly’s eyes as she read the last line of the letter. She would survive for him. They needed each other. She pulled the bed covers up to her chin, trapping in all of the warm air, and dosed off into a peaceful sleep.

The next two days were filled with coughing and sky rocketing temperatures. Every breath that Carly took was a struggle and aches took over every inch of her body. Her parents were situated on both sides of her bed, each holding her hand tightly in their own. Thunder shook the windows of the hospital room and rain pounded loudly against the roof. There was just as much turmoil outside as there was inside.

“Stay with us Carly,” her parents screamed in unison. But their voices became more and more distant to her. She began to feel like she was drowning, and she gasped for breath. After a thirty minute struggle, her breathing stopped and her body turned cold. She was gone.

That same day her death was reported in the local newspaper, just two pages away from a headline that read “Solider from Maine shot dead in Iraq Battle.” That was the day their promises to each other came true. They would never have to live a day without the other

I hope this piece inspires people to fight for the ones that they love.

on Apr. 23 2014 at 10:13 am
micshea99 PLATINUM, Matthews, North Carolina
Oh my gosh I have chills right now! Beautiful ending):