The Fault In Our Stars | Teen Ink

The Fault In Our Stars

By reverseyareli__ BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
reverseyareli__ BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

he Fault In Our Stars by John Green
first publication Dec 21, 2011

The Fault in Our Stars is the story of .Hazel Grace a sixteen year old girl,with stage 4 lung cancer,who accepts her situation. The story begins with Hazel explaining how her mother is forcing her to attend a support group. After Hazel agrees and goes to these support groups she meets Augustus (Gus) Waters, a survivor of cancer, and Isaac who is diagnosed with eye cancer and is on the verge of losing his eyesight. Gus instantly befriends her, and invites her to his house to watch a movie, after the movie is over Hazel tells Gus about her favorite book “An Imperial affliction” The book causes them to bond , and they start spending a lot more time together. Augustus learns that Hazels dream was to meet the author of her favorite book.He uses his wish from The Genesis (foundation of wishes like the make a wish organization), and makes Hazel’s dream come true. They travel to Amsterdam to meet the author, when they actually meet him they are very disappointed, yet they make the best out of the trip. Before leaving Amsterdam Gus tells Hazel that he was diagnosed with cancer again.
After returning from Amsterdam Gus goes to the hospital, and it turns out he is on his last stages of cancer. Hazel must be strong to help him get through it.
“accept the things (you) cannot change, the courage to change the things (you) can, and the wisdom to know the difference” (The Fault in our Stars John Green 10) , is the theme of the story. I like that John Green was very honest with the characters perspective on life. This novel I believe is very powerful, and one of the best coming of age novels. I really liked the book, and would recommended to any coming of age teen.