Romeo & Juliet (part one) | Teen Ink

Romeo & Juliet (part one)

By Sweet-t BRONZE, Albia, Iowa
Sweet-t BRONZE, Albia, Iowa

Live, Laugh, Love

{ Brooke }

“Romeo and Juliet...” Mr. Robertson says, while holding the book up. "One of the greatest romance stories written by Shakespeare. You should know what this story is because you read it in your freshman year so this coming assignment should be easy, except for all the people who haven't read the story... lucky you I decide to be nice and you'll have four weeks to do this assignment." he mentions.

I couldn't help but put a smile on my face because this is gonna be a piece of cake. I know the story by heart. It's basically about a boy who is blinded by beauty and apparently falls in love with Juliet. Their love was forbidden, anyway to cut things short... they both died at the end.

I have to admit this story is not my favorite. It's not that I think it's not a good story... I just wasn't really into it. Shakespeare is basically making fun of Romeo and Juliet... well basically teenagers because how we are. In the story, Romeo and Juliet just met one night and decided to get married on the same night but also dies on the same day. It still happens today...well except the marrying part, I think. We think we are in love when we don't know much about each other and then we do the most stupid thing you can think of.

“The assignment is what is the meaning of the story? What do you think Shakespeare’s message is? And compare the story to life today, how is it the same and how is it different?" Mr. Robertson asked as he wrote the question on the white board. "You are going be paired up and share each other opinions. You have to come up with a topic that you both agree on and then you have to answer these questions." I hope I am paired up with Jamie, my best friend. Please be Jamie, please be Jamie...

“Katie and... Marcus, Brett and Ashley, Tim and Jeremy..." He starts pairing us. "Jamie and..." Please be me, please be me, please be me. "Trevor." Dang it. “Christian and Kaylynn, Juliana and Allie, Paco and Brooke." Wait what?

{Paco}

" Tienes que estar bromeand..." I said under my breath. From all the girls in class, I got stuck with her. Just look at her... she is not even hot. What girl dresses like that? She's wearing a baggy t-shirt that goes down her thighs with blue, skinny jeans. Her hair is in a stupid pony tail.

" Hola amigo, how lucky are you that you have such a una linda chica." Marcus joked behind me.

" Callar Marcus. At lease she isn't butt ugly like you, amigo..." I said to him. “Wait, I probably shouldn't have said that. That's an insult to all the ugly butts."

“Come on man, you know I was joking."

“I’m not..." I am not in the mood to be messing around or to be messed around with. It's bad enough that I am stuck with Brooke. I like to be around people who know how to have fun. I bet the most fun Brooke had is when she is at home late reading her stupid books. I am not saying that she does that, but she seems like the type of girl who does.

{ Brooke }

I slowly walked over to the desk next to Paco and sat next to him without looking up. I stare at my blank piece of paper without saying anything. I sat there like that for a while...well, we both did, just ignoring each other. I look at the time, wishing the class would end sooner. "Umm... what did you think about Romeo and Juliet?" I finally broke the silence.

"I don't know, I haven't read it." He answered, still looking down at his desk.

“I’m not surprised..." I said silently.

“What was that chica?" he asked, looking up at me.

"Nothing." I said, looking down.

“Oh really?"

"Um... sorry... um, I mean...um... then how are we going to do our project?" I asked, changing the subject. I don't know how I am going to get anything done if he knows nothing about the book.

“I don't know and to be honest, I don't care. "

"But I do."

“Your problem... not mine." He shot back at me.

“It kind of is. It's your grade too."

{ Paco }

“Unlike you, I really don't give a crap." I said harshly.

"Do you ever?... On anything?" I looked up at her and smiled. I scanned her up and down then looked back at her to see her reaction. "You’re disgusting." She turned her direction away from me.

I couldn't help but laugh. To be honest, I don't get down like that, but she doesn't know that. "You asked." I said with a wink. I notice she ignored that so I moved closer to her. "You wanna know the details?" I whispered in her ear. I got the reaction that I was hoping for. No wait, it was better than I was hoping for. She got up and moved her desk far from me. I laughed even harder than before. “What’s wrong chica? I was finally starting to open up to you." I teased. She shot me a glance. Man, I love messing with her. It's so fun. This month is going to be a little bit interesting.

{Brooke}

Gratefully, it's finally lunch. Jamie and I sat down at the empty table outside because all the tables inside the cafeteria were taken. I looked up and realized Paco and his friends are having their lunch under this tree where it has a nice shade. It's actually pretty smart thing to do. It's better than sitting here on the hot day where the sun is shining on us.

“You got a topic yet for English?" Jamie asked, taking a bite of her pizza.

“No... Don’t remind me." Remembering that Paco is my partner and that he hasn't even read the story yet. I am surprise that he even made it this far for a guy who doesn't care about school.

“That bad, huh?"

“Yah. He hasn't even read the story yet." I complained.

“Lucky that Mr. Robertson gave us about a month to work on it."

“That won't matter. He's not gonna do anything. Doesn't care if he fails and that he brings me down along with him. He made that perfectly clear today." I am just getting angry from just thinking about it.

“Did you ask Mr. Robertson to change partners?" She asked, taking another bite of her pizza.

“Yah, I have tried. He won't let me." I took a sip of my water. “This whole thing is stupid and it's waste of my time." I glare over at him. “He doesn't care about anything but himself."

“That is what kind of guy he is." She mentioned. “You wanna know something? One day I overheard that Paco is a Mexican Mafia and he had to kill a guy to join." She whispered.

I hear things like this all the time about Paco. Rumors or facts, I don't know. It is always something bad that he does. He definitely does look like he does do those things that I always hear about. He looks like trouble.

“Those could be just rumors. We are not sure if that's true." I took a bit of my pizza. I hope it's not true anyway. I don't know what I would do if it was. I know I wouldn't feel safe that's for sure.

“True." Jamie agreed.

{ Paco }

School is finally is over and now I have soccer practice. I am supposed to meet up with Brooke after school in the library, but I have much more important things to do other than our stupid project. Should I have told her that I won't be there? Nah, she'll figure it out.

After two hours of soccer practice, I went straight home all tired and worn out. Right when I walked in, my brother, Raul came running up to me with a soccer ball in his hand. “Hey bro." He said with a smile. Raul is my little brother and he's about ten years old. He reminds a lot me when I was ten, but I sure hope he won't be like me when he's seventeen. I want my brother to be different and do well.

“What’s up little man?" I asked him with a smile.

“Want to play soccer?"

“I just got done with practice. So... no."

“But Paco..." he starts to complain. Before I could say anything, mamá comes in the room, looking angry. Mirerda, I wonder what I did now.

“Raul, go in your room." She demands.

“But mamá..."

“Ahora Raul." Oh crap. When she speaks in Spanish, she is definitely anger.

" Good luck." Raul said before he went to his room.

" I got a call from the principal." She said.

" Did I get student of the week?" I teased.

" Paco Mio Pablo, this is serious. You got in trouble for smoking." She said, looking disappointed.

" Um... I was holding it for someone."

"In your mouth?"

" Ya, why not." I smiled.

" Paco... I am serious. You know better." she said calmly. “I don't want you to end up like your father. You’re a good kid. I don't like the direction you are heading and I..." She couldn't speak; she's trying to hold back the tears. “And I..." She tries again.

"Mamá, I'm sorry.” I said, meaning it. I pulled her into a hug. I hate seeing my mamá crying. “I promise I won't be like papá." I whispered to her. “I love you mamá."

{ Brooke }

It's Monday and I am angry. I try over and over to meet up with Paco all last week for our project, but he keeps on ditching me. I would like to get this stupid project over with. The sooner we get this dumb project done, the sooner I wouldn't have to deal with him.

I am at Jamie’s locker and I noticed Paco is over with his friends over by his locker. Jamie’s and Paco's lockers are five lockers apart from each other so it was easy to spot him. “Are you still angry about last week?" Jamie noticed that I am glaring at him.

“Uh ya. He just didn't ditch me that one time; he did it throughout the week. Now we have three weeks left and he has to still read the story and we still have to figure out the topic." I complained.

“Why don't you just do all the work so you can just get it done?"

“I want to so I can stop worrying about this stupid project but Mr. Robertson check it differently from the other teachers. If Paco has no clue about the story, I think he'll figure it out that I did all the work. You know his rules. “I explained.

“You want to know what I think?"

“Sure." I answered.

“I believe that Paco does care about his grades. If he didn't, why isn't he kicked off of the soccer team?" Jamie and I smiled, realizing we have something against him.
“Thanks Jamie. You’re a genius." I said happily. “Excuse me Jamie; I got to take care of something." I looked over at Paco and then head towards him. Paco and his friends looked surprised when they saw me.

“Paco, can I talk to you for a sec.?"

“Chica, I know it's hard for you stay away from me but I am kind of busy right now. Maybe we can talk later." he winks. "We can actually do less talking and more..."

“Paco, I am serious." I stopped him from finishing his sentence. I couldn't help but think what he was going to say which made my checks go red, I can feel it.

“So am I." He looks down at me with his dark brown eyes. I think he noticed that I am getting red. I have never had a guy that messed around with me as much as Paco had. I am not use to it and I don't like it. This has to stop now.

“This is about our project. We need to work on it." I finally said to him. His friends said something in Spanish to Paco and then they left us two alone.

“Happy? You scared my friends." he said frustrated.

“I wouldn't have to if we just get our project done." I said with a smile.

“All I hear about is this dumb project."

“Because I would like to get it done. The sooner the project is done, the sooner that I don't have to deal with you no more." I said harshly.

“What?" he acted like he was surprised. “Our relationship has been a lie this whole time." He teased.

“What relationship?"

“Ours Brooke..." He put his hand over his heart as if I broke it." Ours..."

“Paco, I'm serious. If we don't do well on this project, you'll get kick out of soccer." I start to walk away but he grabs my arm to stop me.

“What you mean chica?" He asked.

“This project is half our grade. If we get an F on it, you get kicked out of soccer. You can't get an F and play sports, but I bet you already knew that." I pulled my arm out of his hand and then walked off without hearing his clever comebacks. For the first, I had the last word.

{ Paco }

Tienes que estar bromeando, I hate to admit it... Brooke is right. I can't afford a bad grade. Everything makes me frustrated like soccer, Brooke, my familia, and school. "¿Estás bien?" Marcus asked.

It's finally lunch and I am sitting under the tree with good shade. “Sí." I answered. I caught myself starring at Brooke. I don't get her sometimes. She's this shy girl who never talks to anybody at school but Jamie and there she was telling me off this morning.

“Oh really? Why are you so quiet? That isn’t like you." He said and he's right. That isn’t like me at all. But I can't help it. Brooke got me thinking.

“Sorry man, just frustrated."

“Because that little la perra” Marcus laughed.

"Don't call her that."

“Why? You like this, chica?" He elbowed me, laughing.

I let out a laugh. “Yah right."

“Then why have you been looking at her?"

“I wasn't." I lied. He looks at me with a smile. I know he doesn't believe me. “Shut up, Marcus."

“Are you going to Angelina's party after soccer practice. She asked about you." He said, grinning widely. "That hot fine pecho grande y bonito culo chica wants you. Angelina Gartez wants you man. Oh please tell me that you’re going to the party."

¡Mierda! Man, I hate my life. “I can't... I'm busy." I said. What did I just do?

“What is more important than hooking up with Angelina?"

“Soccer." I answered. “If I fail English, I would get kicked out of soccer." I can't believe what I am hearing. I am actuactlly planning to work on homework instead of going to a party. Have I gone insane? No, even worse... I am becoming a Brooke.

“So what man. You can always do it next year or even play it with your amigos at home."

“What if I maybe want to become a professorial soccer player for my career?" I admitted.

“You’re kidding right?" He asked. I didn't answer. “Man, you are a really good soccer player but you know that's not what your papá. is expecting you to do and everybody in Mexican Mafia." Marcus mentioned.

“Yah man... I was just thinking."

“Stop thinking. You know what happens if you don't join. It has to be you or brother and I know you well enough you won't let Raul do that. You could put your familia in danger just..."

“I know." I said, not letting him finish. It's not fair I don't have a choice. As the oldest boy at my house, I got to look out for my familia. " Voy a dirigrime.”

“See you later man." Marcus said before I left.

{ Brooke }

I am at my locker, putting my environmental science book away. " Hola cara bonita.” Paco leaned on the locker next to mine.

“Should I thank you or slap you?" I asked. He gives me a cocky smile.

“Thank me." He answered, still smiling.

“What do you want Paco? This is unusual." I said. I know Paco, wouldn't come up and talk to me. Especially with people around.

“Making plans with you. I know that you don't want to do the project, but I insist we should. It's half our grade you know." I didn't even bother saying anything. I just look up weirdly, like he's crazy. "I know you don't care but I do."

“Oh really?" I asked. Paco answered by nodding his head yes. “You are so full of yourself." He just answered with a smile. “So you want meet up at the library after school?" I asked, still putting my stuff away in my locker.

“This is how we are gonna do this. I have a soccer game after school and my game usually ends around 7:00, so we'll just meet up at my place, afterwards." He said.

“Uh, I think it's better if we did our project in the library. Maybe after your game we can go to the library." I insisted. To be honest, I don't feel comfortable going over to Paco’s house or even yet, his neighborhood. It's probably not safe.

He rolled his eyes at me. I think he has an idea that I am afraid. Sometimes I swear that I am an open book. “It’s closed then." He mentioned.

“I don't have a car. I usually ride the bus." Making a dumb excuse.

“You stayed after school a lot in the library. How do you usually get home?" He asked, raising up one of his eye brows.

“I walked home, but I don't know how far your house is and I..."

“How about this? You come to my game and when the game is over, we can head out over to my house. You have a ride now. It's a win-win." He didn't let me finish my sentence.

“Not for me. I don't want to come to your game."

“Then I guess you don't want to get the project done." He said, before he left.

Man... I really hate that kid. I am not letting him win. I am not going to the game. I am not going. He's not being fair. I am not going. I am not going. I am not going!

{ Paco }

I am here warming up, doing soccer drills. I can't help but keep looking up the stands. I am hoping Brooke is coming; I can't afford to fail this project. “Hey Paco, looking for someone?" Marcus noticed that I have been eyeing over at the stands a few times.

“No." I lied. Then I looked over at the stands once again and I see Brooke struggling through the crowd to the free seat in the middle. I couldn't help but smile.

“Oh I see?"

“What?" I looked over at him.

“You know what." He said, looking at Brooke and then back at me with a big smile.

“Shut up and pass me the ball."

{ Brooke }

I tried to focus on my reading while the game is going on, but there is a lot of yelling around me. “Come on!! Steal the ball!” One guy yelled out. Then I heard a loud cheer all around me. “Way to go Paco!" The girl sitting in front of me yells out. “Kick it!" Another girl says. " Goal!!!" Everybody around me stood up and cheered.

It was the half time and I kind of gave up my reading. I can't really focus with all this noise, it's distracting me, and so I just decided to watch the game. I don't really get it, but I do know how they earn points. Someone passed the ball to Paco and he shot another goal, giving his team another point. He's really good at soccer.

Paco ends the game by scoring the winning point. Everybody jumps up and started to cheer wildly, including me. 5-2, we so creamed them. Paco looked up to me and saw that I was cheering. He looked kind of stunned, but it soon turned into a smile.

{ Paco }

After the soccer game, Brooke and I headed over to my house. “Here we are." I pulled into the driveway. She didn't move, just stared at my small house. “You like my mansion?" I teased. She gave me a weak smile and then slowly got out of the car. I lead the way to my front door and opened it for her.

“Thank you." She said, as she walked in. I followed.

“Hey Paco, do you and your girlfriend want to play soccer with me and my friends?" Raul asked, smiling.

“Um, I'm not... we aren't dating." She tried to explain.

“Oh, so it must be a one night thing." Raul smiled, scanning her up and down.

" Raul shut up. " I pushed him as I walked by. “She is my partner for English. We are doing a project."

“Is that all you are doing?"

“I see here that there's a little Paco." She mentioned.

"Nah, I was born with the looks and he..." He looks over at me and then back at her. “Nah, I got the brains too."

Brooke looked Raul up and down. “Sorry, I don't see it."

“Oh really?" He said, still smiling. “Do you want a real man show you a good time?"

“Aren’t you little bit young?"

“Age is but a number." Raul said with a wink. " ¿ Quieres pasar la noche conmigo? Me hago salitario y realmente puedo usar la compañía ." He said with a big grin.

“Um.... thank you?" She was not sure what he was saying.

“Ok, you’re out of here." I grabbed his shirt and pulled him towards the door.

“Wait, I didn't get her number." I pushed him outside. “Call me!" Raul said before I slammed the door on him.

{ Brooke }

I followed Paco in the kitchen after he kicked his brother out. “He is sure something." I said to Paco, entering the kitchen.

“Yah.. Sorry about him. If you are a girl, then he will flirt."

“Like you?" I said, noticing that Paco and Raul is a lot alike.

“Nah, I don't flirt with every girl that I see like Raul does." Paco answered, letting out a laugh.

We both sat down at the kitchen table. " Ready to get started?" I asked, setting my backpack on the table.

“I guess..." He mumbles.

" I brought the book, Romeo and Juliet. You should get started on reading the book, so we can start on our topic." I handed the book to him. He begins to read but then he shuts the book, looking more frustrated.

“I don't understand what's going on. This is confusing. I don't even know what the heck they are talking about. I give up." He slides the book over to me.

“Don’t give up. I can help you." I moved closer to so we both can see the book. We started reading act one, scene one in the story. “Understand it so far?"

“Yah, kind of. I understand that the Montague and Capulet don't like each other. I just don't understand why." I admit.

“Remember the beginning of the two servants fighting? One of the servants gave the other one the bird and they were trash talking each other, then it lead into a fight.” She explained.

“And because of that, Romeo is not happy?" I asked.

“No, no. He was mostly upset about this girl, Rosaline. He loves her but she doesn't feel the same way about him and because of that, Romeo is upset." She answered.

“Oh, I see... and his friend tried to tell him there are other women out there, but Romeo thinks it's impossible because of his love for Rosaline. Right?" I said, starting to get it.

“Right."

"But then he snuck into the ball and he met Juliet, then fell in love with her." I mentioned.

“Yep, because her beauty beats Rosaline." Brooke explained.

"It's kind of crazy that they fell in love like in two seconds and then are married on like the same day."

“Yah, well... it was never real love with Romeo. Romeo loves Juliet because of her beauty and Juliet loved him for him." She explained. She looked up at me with her green eyes. I never really noticed her eyes until now... she has really pretty eyes.

“Do you believe in love first sight?" I asked her. I can see she really doesn’t care for this story and I thought girls are usually into this kind of story.

She hesitated before she answered. “No." She looked down, breaking our gaze. " It's getting late. I better head back home."

“Yea..." Surprisingly I feel kind of disappointed which is weird and usual.

“We’ll do act two tomorrow." She said, packing her stuff and shoving it in her bag.

{ Brooke }

After getting everything all gathered up, I headed to the door as Paco follows. When I opened the door, all of sudden a muddy soccer ball hit me. Leaving chunks of wet mud on my sweat shirt. " Your one dirty girl Brooke." Raul said, as he laughed. Surprisingly, I started to laugh as well. Not at what Raul said, but what had happen. I turned around and Paco is also laughing.

“Here.." He held his hand out. "Give me your sweat shirt and I'll clean it. It's what I can do since... you know. My brother can be an idioto sometimes." He glances over at Raul who is still laughing.

“You don't have..."

" Chica tonta, wasn't asking." He said, looking into my eyes and then smile. " Please..." He said softly. I sat my back pack down and slowly took off my sweat shirt. Underneath I am wearing a white tank top. I feel so reviled, so I try to cover myself with my arms. I think Paco noticed that I was kind of uncomfortable. " I'll lend you a jacket..." He said, going back inside.

After he loaned me his jacket, he dropped me off at my house. " Thanks for the ride." I said softly, taking off his jacket. “Here..." I tried to hand it back.

“Keep it for tonight."

“Um... ok. See you tomorrow. Bye." I said, getting out of the car.

“Bye."

{ Paco }

Brooke and I been working on the project about a week now. I see now that I misjudged Brooke. She is actually really cool, funny, and smart. Underneath the baggy sweatshirt, she has a great body. I don't know why she covers it up.

We finally finished the story and the ending sucks. They both died but their family finally made peace. Tonight should be the last night working on the project. Brooke and I just need to pick out a topic.

After my soccer practice, I went over to Brooke’s house without letting her know. I went to her front porch of her house and rang the doorbell. Brooke opened the door, wearing long, blue basketball shorts and white tank top.

I couldn't help but notice how the tank top is showing her amazing curves and those shorts... man those shorts shows her legs well. I can actually see her legs. I usually see her in jeans. "I didn't know you were coming over." she said, trying to cover her body with her arms and hands.

"Yah, sorry about that." I said to her. She didn't answer but just looked down at the ground. “But I am kind of glad that you didn't know..." I admitted to her.

“Why?" she looked up at me with a confused look.

“Because I would never have seen what a beautiful body you have." I gave her a shy smile. She didn't say anything, but her face got red. "Can I come in?" I finally asked. She nodded her head and then moved out of the way so I can walk inside.

"Um... I'll go get my stuff." She said, leaving him alone in the living room. I walked around, looking at pictures hung on the wall. This one picture caught my eye. It was a picture of a cute little girl and this beautiful woman holding her. Brooke finally walked in with her bag.

"Who is this?" I asked finally. She looked at me and then at the picture.

“Me and my mom..." She smiled, still looking at the picture.

"She's beautiful..."

"Yah..." She walked over to the couch and sat down, opening her bag. “Sometimes I wish I looked like her. Sometimes I wonder if I am even her daughter." Brooked admits.

I walked over to Brooke and sat right next to her. I looked up at her as she looks up at me and met my gaze. I noticed so much more now than ever before. She has beautiful green eyes like her mother and her smile is... adorable. Especially when her dimples shows when she smiles. I also notice she has cute freckles on her cheek and by her nose.

A month before, I always saw her plain, but now... I can really see how beautiful she is. Beautiful as her mother, “You are beautiful Brooke and always have been and always will be." I said truthfully.

“You’re not as bad as you want people to think you are." She said with a smile, showing her cute dimples" You are actually kind of... sweet." She said with a short laugh. “Only when you want to be."

“You don't know what you are saying chica. I am not sweet." I said, leaning back on the couch.

“You can deny all you want, but you are too." she said with a smile.

“You don't know me..." I looked away.

“I think I have an idea though."

I let out a short laugh and looked over back at Brooke. “Oh really?" She nodded, still smiling. “Then tell me."

“I think you are fooling people with your bad boy image. I think you are trying to be the person what people think you are. I think you are kind of hiding." she answered.

“This is coming from the girl who hides herself in her baggy sweat shirt and her stupid books." I said without thinking but it's true. “Why do you do that? You are... beautiful. I don't understand why you hide yourself like that."

“Is the rumors about you are true?" She asked, changing the subject.

“Depends which one you are talking about..." I gave her a smile.

“You being in the gang..." She finally asked.

“Let’s not talk about that."

“So it is true."

“It’s none of your business." I snapped at her.

“I know... I was just wondering."

“Well stop wondering." I said, trying to calm down.

“I was just hoping it was just rumors and that it wasn't true, but if it is. You can do better. Do something like..."

“Like what? It's not like that I haven't thought about that, but some people don't have choices." I admit.

“Everybody has choices..." She said softly.

“Well... not me."

“What do you mean?" She asked. I finally realized I was opening up to her and I need to change the subject fast.

“I don't know how my issues have anything to do with the project. How about we get started on the topic." I said, trying to change the subject.

“Ok..." She agrees. " I was thinking that our topic should be about when love isn't really real. When people think they are, they end up doing something stupid like getting pregnant or killing themselves."

“You’re kidding right?" Not believing what I am hearing. I can't believe that she believes that from just reading this story. I saw it different than what she did. I saw more than just couple of teenagers that think they are in love. Not all love is like that.

“No..." She answered. “Do you have something different in mind?"

“Actually I do. I believe the story isn't just about two teenagers thinking they are in love. There is more to the story..." I explained. “Like when Romeo only judges girls from their beauty and because Juliet was very beautiful, he fell in love with her, but it's different with Juliet. She saw Romeo as Romeo. She loved him for him. I am guessing what I am saying is that love doesn't come from beauty but what's with in."

{Brooke}

Ok, is this Paco who is speaking right now? I can't believe I am hearing this from Paco. I mean come on, its Paco. You don't expect him to say that and to be honest; I wasn't expecting him to understand the story. I couldn't just help but give him a confusing look.

“What?" He asked.

“Are you ok?'' Still don't believe Paco actually said that. Beauty comes within... blah blah blah. I think from a guy that judges people by their appearance.

“Yah, why?"

“Because what you said came out of your mouth. You're Paco Palo, right?" I teased.

He let out a laugh. “Yah. It's me." He said, giving me a smile. “I don't blame you. I can hardly believe that came out of my mouth. What did you do to me chica?" he teased me back. "But for real... it's true you know, what the story is saying."

“I just think Shakespeare is making fun of how dumb teenagers can be." She admits.

“It’s true, but there is more to it than you think." He said to me. I didn't say anything, just sat there. “Do you believe in being in love?" He changed the subject.

“No..."

“Why?" Not understanding what's going on with this girl. Usually that is what all girls want, to be in love with a guy and him being in love with her. Why is she being so complicated when it comes to things like this? I can tell she doesn't care for this story. Is it because it is love a love story or something?

“Because I just think it isn't real. I see it all the time. It's unlikely to happen... we don't live in a fairy tale. Girls get their hopes up and want to find their Romeo like Juliet did, but people don't know that Romeo was like a player. Why date and try to be with someone like that. All the guys are the same. People are not in love, they just think they are. It's stupid and to be honest, probably the waste of their time." She admits.

“Have you ever been in love?" I asked.

“Luckily no." She answered.

“Then how do you know?" I asked, moving closer to her without her realizing it.

“Like I said, I see it all the time."

“Where?" I asked.

“At school."

“Wow." I let out a laugh. “You shouldn't disc love if you never experienced it."

“I don't think I will ever want to." She said, being stubborn.

“Why not? Love is a beautiful thing." I can't believe what I am actually saying, but I don't want her to be afraid of this or she'll never be with someone. Probably become a lonely cat lady or something. “Love makes you want you to do anything for that person and want you to take a risk for them. When you truly love someone, you can give everything you can and never expect a return." I said, remembering my papà and mamá. That's how they were, happy and in love.

“Were you in love once or something?" She asked.

“So far no. I heard this when my papà was talking about mamà. I asked what every kid would ask their parents... how did you know that they were the one. He said to me what I am telling you now. You can see it was real because when you just can see them together...you just can see the love they had for each other." Remembering the good times.

"Had? What happen? Did they divorce or something?"

“No... They're still together. It is just hard for them since they are far apart from each other." I said softly.

“Oh..." She said.

“Yah..."

“If it makes you feel better, my parents are separated. They are divorced." Brooke tries to make me feel better.

“It doesn't..." I answered. I wonder if that is the reason why Brooke is like this, because of her parents divorced.

“I guess what I am trying to say is that I kind of know what you are going through, you know. They are not still together but I know what it is like not having a father around just like you." She said with a smile.

“You know something chica, we have a lot more in common than I thought." I smiled back at her.

“Ha! Yeah." Brooke starts to blush. Man that was so cute. I love how Brooke bites her lower lip when she gets shy or nervous. It's as cute when she blushes.

My eyes looked down where she bites her lower lip and I can't help to wonder what her lips would feel like. It looks like it's soft and sweet." You look very kissable chica..." I whispered to her, without thinking. I hate to admit it, but she does.

“What?"

“You heard me..." I said softly, as I lean closer to her. I can't help it. She just looks so cute and kissable. “Can I kiss you?" I asked to her.

“I...I..."

"To be honest, even if you said no, I would still try anyways." I admit.

“I...I might be bad at it."

“Impossible." I smiled and then gave her a soft kiss. She didn't push me away or tell me to stop. She just kisses me back. I pulled back for a second to look at her. We both smiled and then I went for another kiss. Our lips are moving together and oh my goodness, she taste so good and sweet. I don't ever want this to end. I want this moment to last... I want Brooke and me to last. I want her to be mine. I parted the kiss, “I love you, Brooke."

{ Brooke }

The moment Paco kissed me was so surprising. First I hate him and now I am letting him kiss me. I wanted to tell him no, but I couldn't find the words and I did want to push him away, but I couldn't find the strength.

Paco is the first guy I ever kissed and he was the last one in my mind that I would ever thought of kissing. I hate to admit it, but I liked kissing him and I...like him. I never thought there would be a day I would like Paco or any other guy for that matter. But then I got to know him and got to find out what Paco is really about. It's like reading a mystery story and finally solving it at the end of the book. The problem is, I haven't.

Things were going great until I heard, “I love you, Brooke." Why me? I don't want him to love me and I don't want to be in love. We just are supposed to be partners for the project and nothing else. None of this should be happening. We should just be getting the project done and then go to our own separate ways. What am I supposed to do now? Paco just made this much more complicated. This whole thing is just so... it's complicated.

WILL BE CONTINUED...

I like the story Romeo & Juliet. This story is mainly about people having there opinion about the message of the story, Romeo & Juliet.Like what was Shakespeare message? Ant btw, sorry my story is long. Hope you like it. :)

Bethany_Saint GOLD, Dexter, Maine

"Never regret something that once made you smile." - Amber Deckers

"Stories are more than just images. As you continue in the tale, you get to know the characters, motivations and conflicts that make up the core of the story...." - Livia Blackburne

I love it! I cant wait for the second part!