Waiting for Daises | Teen Ink

Waiting for Daises

By RickyK BRONZE, Spirit Lake, Iowa
RickyK BRONZE, Spirit Lake, Iowa

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer"

t was May 21, 1924, a woman was standing in the North American prairies, waiting for a man. The man she had been waiting for was her husband who had went off into war; she promised him she’d wait for him no matter what. She waited in the rain, she waited in the thunder, she waited in the winds, and years came by she waited and waited.
It was July 4, 1927, she hadn’t had any contact with her husband for several years; she wasn’t worried, because she knew he’d be back. He promised her, she was still wearing the ring he gave her before he left.
It was August 15, 1927, by now she’d lay in her bed kicking and screaming, crying; wishing she knew where he was. Her mother had told her “Darlene, oh Darlene, he will be home soon, and then you will be in his arms.”
It was October 16, 1927, she laid in the prairie grass surrounded by yellow daises; those we’re her favorite. Darlene knew he was gone, that he’d never return, that he.. . abandon her. Her mother was walking up the prairie hill to comfort her; that’s where she always waited. Mother said “I knew he was no good for my Darlene, he has left you, and has left my Darlene.” Darlene grabbed her mother’s arm, with a tight grasp and said, “I will wait for him, no matter what. Even if the lighting strike hits me and I die, I know I will be with him . . forever”