College | Teen Ink

College

By SchuylerSorensen SILVER, Mullica Hill, New Jersey
SchuylerSorensen SILVER, Mullica Hill, New Jersey

The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things u get ashamed of because words diminish your feelings - words shrink things that seem timeless when they are in ur head to no more than living size when they are brought out.

She was a new girl in college and she couldn’t believe it: she absolutely loved it. She was nervous at first because she hated high school. She hated all the groups, mostly because she didn’t seem to fit into any of them. She hated the immaturity of everyone there. But mostly she hated how she was often alone, sitting in the corner of the classroom reading a book. But college was different. She had two room mates, and one was like her best friend already. She found herself changing. She used to love to be alone, but now whenever she is, she craves the company of her room mate and her new friends. She has found new confidence in herself, that has her walking up to random people and saying hi. She isn’t afraid to go to meals alone: she just sits with whoever seems the nicest. She has become, dare she think it, sort of popular. People come to her room all the time now to hang out. There are people here who seem to have the same interests as her a want to spend time with her.

Perhaps the most exciting thing is that she seems to attract looks. When she was in high school, she never had a boyfriend. Never had anyone look at her in interest. But now she is noticing. She likes two different guys and thinks maybe they might be interested. Just maybe. She feels her confidence growing everyday. She starts wearing nicer clothes, doing her hair, doing her make-up. And every time someone says she looks pretty, she glows even more. Now she does not shy away from a mirror when she passes by. She is not afraid to go hang out and feel like she is the odd one out. She feels beautiful and confident. For the first time in her life, she feels like she belongs.

That’s why college is so much better than high school. She was always worried because people would always tell her that high school is the best time of your life. And she hated high school. They were completely wrong. She has been in college for only two weeks but already she knows this will be the best time of her life. These are the friends I’m going to invite to my wedding. These are the friends I am going to go out to lunch with when I am 60 years old. These are the friends I am going to keep for the rest of my life. Those fake high school friends are already forgotten. She thinks to next summer and realizes how much she is going to miss these friends, and she has only known them for two weeks. She thinks that even though college is going to be hard, it’s also easier. Her friends will always be there, because they live together. She thinks her one room mate might just be her maid of honor in the future. And her other friend may just be the groom.