The Girl Who Flew Away | Teen Ink

The Girl Who Flew Away

By LissetteVaca BRONZE, Hemet, California
LissetteVaca BRONZE, Hemet, California

"I'm in love with you, and all these little things"....

I see them. Strolling down the halls together, sweaty hands clasped together so tight their knuckles turn white. Fingers intertwined like the braid in my hair. They gaze at each other, wonderstruck, their eyes dreamy and wide. Azure and Auburn. Those are the colors of their eyes. His eyes deep. Like the navy blue sea. Her eyes brown and coppery and intense, with the air of mystery all the boys seem to die for. They share starry-eyed, knowing glances. Smiling like small children in a candy shop. His face glows when he takes one look at her and her eyes light up instantly when she sees his smile. I wish I could do that. But I don’t. I see them whisper secrets to each other. Maybe she’s telling him he’s the funniest boy in the whole entire school. Maybe he’s telling her that she’s the most beautiful girl he’s ever seen and that he loves her like the sun loves the moon and like a prince loves his princess. And I just stand there. Watching and watching and waiting and waiting for that one chance to make him see that I can be like her. I can. Or better, I can soar and fly far, far away from here. Away From this school in this quiet, sleepy town. So I can start new and find my prince. And no one could take that away from me. No one. Someday the clouds will decide it’s time to expose the sun. And the sun will decide to shine her light on me and I will be seen. He will see me. The girl who flew away. But for now I’ll stand here and let the old, dreamy, fuzzy tunes of the love songs I listen to flood my mind.