Chasing the Sun | Teen Ink

Chasing the Sun

By PhoenixCrossing GOLD, Tinley Park, Illinois
PhoenixCrossing GOLD, Tinley Park, Illinois

Earth was an infant. Her baby hills rallied on for days with intermissions of soft valleys vast of the deepest jades, flowered by the magic of prisms. Lakes dotted the land like glistening puddles, waves rebelling against the sand surrounding. The sky mimicked the blues below it and kissed at the horizon. Plants in the shape of life would gather in secret, the wind whispering amongst. The youth of life blossomed fervently.

And a child would own it all. He could be young and full of spirit but his eyes would tell stories of decades long past. The cub’s mane would seem foolish and scruffy but the deep intensity emphasized how mangled he really was. Our child was civil as one could be from never experiencing another of the sort. Simply, he was human.

His only companion was the beauty always relayed on him day after day. That magnificent sphere of warmth and friendship glittered upon his cheek every minute of his being. From the moment he could remember, he had followed his companion’s lead. The growth would too if it could spurt legs. The hills lay under each of our child’s footsteps, serving his need. It was worth this child’s life, this company. Foot after relentless foot pursued the sphere every spare second not spent surviving. Each day when this child could no longer lift a muscle in his body, his eyes surrendered with the will-powered sphere observing intently. The child always found his strength again with his only friend watching closely. The routine he had created from his beloved Earth up was the only thing he had ever known, the only parcel he could share with his friend.

Our child was satisfied as the bees pollinating the forest amongst him. His companion peeked through the tree tops, reassuring its position. The cool growth massaged the soles of his bare feet, exhausted but determined to keep up. The bottoms had grown rough as the tree bark inspiring up from the refreshing dirt and his ankles, thick and strong. The forest was a temptress, fresh and kelly, mysterious and inviting. With the child’s companion on looking the scene, he surrendered to the rest he knew he deserved. The sleep he knew his loyal companion would wait for.

And the child dreamed. He dreamed of caressing his friend with the utmost tenderness a child could possess. The contact would ooze with sparks of unquestionable devotion. He would thank his friend for being so patient and tolerant of his humanness and apologize for lacking the majestic passion and love his companion provided. He wished he could prove worthy of the most beautiful thing he had ever known. And he vowed to continue his desperate endeavor until he fell off the brim of the Earth to embrace his only love. Then he awoke.

His droopy bowls of hazel flickered open in the middle of a war.

His companion, his friend, his lover was galloping away and stealing the day time with it. The horizon puked oranges, pinks, and the most horrifying purple. The air had thinned and tinged the cheeks of our child. He no longer wanted anything to do with the treacherous forest who manipulated him. As his feet slapped the unforgiving ground, the trees whisked this way and that, their branches attempting to cage the child in. He had become aware of his heart for the first time in this moment for it seemed as if his friend had stolen it along with the bright sky he had lived under his whole life. Out of the forest, his legs pushed and pursued, pursued and pushed, but the child was no match for his companion. As he sprinted through marsh and valley and endless hill, stale water slaved down his broken face. The drops of his soul couldn’t stop him though. Nothing could. Not even the vibrant paints in the sky playing tricks on his eyes could convince him of defeat as his friend sped further and further away.

Breath drew away much effort from his chest because running and choking on your first tears of a lifetime tend to take a toll on the body. But our child wasn’t worried about his overworked body. The only thing he had ever known had escaped from his clutches and he could not help but to scream into the night. The screams echoed for what seemed like hours and when his voice grew hoarse, they turned into helpless whimpers. Our child had lost purpose, the love of his life. Hopelessness slipped into the remains of his heart as he tried to find reason for this abandonment. Why hadn’t he been good enough? Could he have been more loyal, more passionate? As the insecurities aided reality to settle in, life left his weak, still-pursuing body absent of the warmth and love of life he had always known.

Saw sunset, got inspired, wrote this. For your info, wrote this way before the song "Chasing the Sun" came out (actually before The Wanted were even popular) and thought it'd be ironic to name it that!

Akmal_Knight BRONZE, Dalby, Other
WOW!! That is a suberb short story! Excellent imagery!! Keep it up! Can't wait to read more of your works! :)

ObsessiveBookworm... BRONZE, Holyoke, Massachusetts

"The key to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss"~ Douglas Adams

I've read it twice, and I've had two differet interpretations of it, both of which I learned were not right. However, the imagery was fantastic, as was the whole story. Keep up the good work!

FluteFreak SILVER, Auburn, Indiana

"Insanity just adds a little spice to life!" -Me

The imagery in this piece is amazing. You have great, poetic descriptions throughout the entire story. I found it a little confusing at some parts, but otherwise this is a great story.

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

OHHH! Well Great job! and Thanks! xD

The whole story was about how the boy, innocent and vulnerable he was, fell in love with the sun. It took place in the beginning of time so there was no other sort of companionship whatsoever.

Daesha SILVER said...
Daesha SILVER, Dalby, Other

Everything happens for a reason

This is an incredible piece. The imagery is absolutely fantastic :) There was one thing that I wasn't so sure about, though. I didn't understand the transition from describing the Earth as a child, and then the child chasing the sun....
But, other than that, amazing :)

WSwilliams GOLD, Toronto, Ontario, Other

If you keep writing, you will pick up structure. You will pick up form

- Richard Matheson

Very artistic and unique. You have string imagery and have used your poetic talents to wrtie an amazing short story. I'll look at this story for now, and the other two tomorrow. So, you owe me three stories. (I recommend the editor's choice) ;) 

FlameSeeker373 SILVER, Richmond, Texas

"...Magic is just science that we don't understand yet..."

Arthur C. Clark

That was very interesting and descriptive. I liked it. :P

Apollo77 PLATINUM, Brunswick, Ohio

"All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.”
"Madame, all stories, if continued far enough, end in death, and he is no true-story teller who would keep that from you."
-Ernest Hemingway

That is such a cool story! I like how insanely sifferent it is and i think your descriptions are beautiful, especially the fifth paragraph. A little confusing, but i feel like maybe it was suppose to be...? Really good!

KatelynnGilbert0 BRONZE, Palm Desert, California

"The only thing holding you back is yourself."

The detail is amazing, a good piece of work though slightly odd. Keep up the excellant work.

Rachel Davis BRONZE, Burlington, Other
interesting! ive never read anything like this before. it's well done!

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Honestly I didn't really get it, but you do an excellant job of description! :)

KenyaLove41 GOLD, Dallas, Texas

"Day, n. A period of twenty-four hours, mostly misspent." ~Ambrose Bierce
"Nothing is Impossible, the word itself says 'I'm Possible!'" ~ Audrey Hepburn
"Good writing is only bad writing revised"~ Unknown

good story i really enjoyed the detail(:

these-roses GOLD, Bristol, Indiana

so many books, so little time

nice i really like the detail the the story line. :)