I Believe | Teen Ink

I Believe

By atimm2013 SILVER, Hartselle, Alabama
atimm2013 SILVER, Hartselle, Alabama

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

“Dance with me.” She says as she stretches her hand out to wipe the tear that has silently escaped from his eye.
He smiles in response to her touch then sadly replies, “I can’t dance.”
“Try. Just spin me around.” She demands as she stubbornly begins to raise herself out of the bed. He knows that this must be taking most of her energy so he meets her halfway and gently pulls her up into his arms.
“Now tell me how.” He demands jokingly once they are in the center of the small white room which has instantly transformed into a dance floor.
“You tell me.”
He smiles adoringly as he places his lips gently upon her bare head. “How can I tell you if I don’t know?”
“Just do it.”
“Do what, spin you or tell you?”
“Both!”
“But I can’t!”
“Yes!”
He laughs again, “Yes what?”
“Yes I believe.”
“Believe in what?”
Her face takes on a serious expression as she touches his lips softly with her frail finger tips. “I believe in the curve of your lips. I believe in the warmth of your breath. I believe in the arch of your smile. I believe in the taste of your tongue. I believe in the truth of your kiss.”
Tears welcome themselves in his and her eyes. She drapes both of her arms securely around his neck as he begins to turn in slow circles. Her voice calms to a whisper as she goes on, “I believe in the inconsistency of your curls. I believe in my own reflection through your eyes. I believe in in the depth of every word you speak. I believe in you.”
He lays her back down on the bed and joins her resting his head just above hers.
“You know what I believe in?” he whispers once she settles comfortably in his arms.
“What?” her eyes begin to drift shut.
“I believe in love.”
“I believe in love and dance.”
“Then dance with me.”
Her mouth forms a soft smile as her eye lids meet, “I am.”
He closes his eyes hoping to possibly be able to drift into the same sweet world, “Tell me about it.”
“It’s beautiful.”
His eyes open releasing another tear as he realizes why he cannot yet enter this world.
“But you can make it absolutely perfect if you just tell me…..” Her voice fades off into a deep breath.
“Tell you that I love you?”
She nods.
“I adore you my love.”
Her blue eyes appear again from behind the pale lids just as he was praying to see them one more time. She reaches up and runs her fingers along the same path his tears have traveled down his face. “That’s all I needed to hear,” she says interrupted by another need for a deep breath. In an airy whisper she continues, “Now just one more thing.”
“Anything.”
“Let me go.”
“Only if you promise to wait for me once you get there.”
“I promise.” She says before once again replacing the pale lids over her sky eyes.
He swallows his sob, kisses her limp hand, and whispers, “I believe you.”