Sigh | Teen Ink

Sigh

By atopakian BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
atopakian BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina

No one lives on the top of the mountain. It’s fine to go there occasionally —for inspiration, for new perspectives. But you have to come down. Life is lived in the valleys. That’s where the farms and gardens and orchards are, and where the plowing and the work is done. That’s where you apply the visions you may have glimpsed from the peaks.

I looked at James, so glad to finally be back with him even though it had only been a year of dealing with his death. We were together forever. Surrounding us were green hills and beautiful flowers. We danced around them, music coming from nowhere as a light rain came down. James kissed me softly, and I hugged him tight.

“You left me...” I whispered, a tear falling down my cheek, as the memory of all the pain I'd gone through flashed through my mind.

“I know, I just... I just couldn’t deal with being old and frail anymore. I’m sorry.” He answered back, and kissed me again.

I smiled, and pushed the pain behind me. “I’m just glad we’re together.”

REWIND

I looked at James my husband, my love, my life. He was dead after seventy-six years of marriage. He died of old age, but if that was true wouldn’t I be dead too? A tear dropped off my wrinkly face, and my heart burned as the missing him came.
“Mom, he’s gone . . . Let's go,” my daughter Grace whispered, as her twin Lucas stared ahead blankly. The hospital felt cold around me, and I felt empty inside. What was I to do now that my one and only...was gone?

I took a deep shuddering breath, kissed my James goodbye on his lips, and left.

REWIND

“Now son, you know I taught your Uncle Lucas and your mother to fish, right?” James looked down at our five year old grandson, happiness lighting up his eyes. "I'll teach you, too."

I looked at him and laughed. “Oh darling, you know Ben doesn't have enough patience for fishing!” I kissed James on his cheek and sighed. Even after forty years of marriage, sparks still ignited.

“Oh fine, then what do you suppose we do?” he asked me, ruffling Ben’s soft blond hair.

I thought for a moment, then shrugged. “Whatever it is boys do these days! Watch a movie, do a puzzle...” My words trailed off as the phone rang, and I ran to get it. Seconds later I was back in the living room, a smile full on my lips as I looked down at Ben. “Your mother just called! They had the baby! And Lucas’s wife called too, with the same news! Oh James, look how quickly our family’s expanding...” I smiled again, feeling James intertwine his fingers in mine.

James laughed, his deep laugh that still sent shivers down my back, and squeezed my hand. “Ben, got any girlfriends?” he asked, a mischievous glint in his eyes when he looked at me. Ben blushed and left the room, muttering something about having to use the bathroom.

“I love you.” James murmured to me, electricity tingling between us as he kissed me on the lips.

REWIND

“Twins. Beautiful twins.” It must have been at least ninety degrees in the hospital room, and I was sweaty and sticky, but none of that mattered as I gazed down at Grace and Lucas.

“They are amazing...” James whispered, looking at me with total adoration.

“If only—I mean—My parents would’ve loved them.” My voice broke as the tears fell. The pain of losing them was still fresh in my mind, as I looked at my beautiful babies.

James hugged me, and kissed me on the lips. “Sh sweetie... Don’t cry...”

REWIND

“We gather here today, to mourn the lost of two dearly loved people. Terri and Dave were...” The priest went on, but I couldn’t pay attention.

My parents were gone. It only took one small car crash to take them away from me. And the only person I had left was James. The one person who has stood by me for years and years. My best friend, my husband.

“Oh darling, it’s okay,” he whispered, and kissed me on the lips. My tears tainted the taste of him, making it salty.

The grief slowly enfolds me so tight, I can barely breathe.Tears lingered on my lashes, and I hugged James, the only thing preventing me from shipwrecking with sadness.

REWIND

“You may kiss the bride.”

James enfolded me in his arms and we kissed, the sparks igniting again. When we separated, there were cheers and I blushed deeply.

We walked past my parents, and they both had tears in their eyes.
“We love you, sweetie,” my dad said, smiling happily.

I said that I loved them too, then continued walking with James toward our future.

REWIND

“I am happy to graduate the Seaway High School senior class of 1981!” Principal Jay said, his eyes lit with excitement.

Every one of my class took their blue caps and threw them into the air with a yell.

I turned toward James, my best friend, and smiled. “We actually made it.” I whispered, looking at him from underneath my thick black eyelashes. “Who knew?”

James laughed, and my heart skipped a beat when I saw his smile. If only he felt the same way about me as I did him.

“Yeah, isn’t that surprising? And now you and I get to go to college together.” His signature mischievous glint in his eyes.

I laughed at him, then quieted quickly. Just go for it, I thought. There isn’t much you’ve got to lose. I leaned toward James, closing my eyes, and kissed him flat on the lips.

Instantly the sparks came, lighting up the world with a kaleidoscope of colors, and I jumped back in surprise. My cheeks started to burn red, and I looked down. “Uh, I’m sorry...” I mumbled.

I looked up, and James was staring at me in surprise. Then he leaned forward and kissed me back. “Don’t be, I’ve been trying to gather the courage to do that to you for years.”

REWIND

“Now Ally, you’re going to meet someone new today okay? His name is James, and he’s two years old just like you!” My mommy said, looking at me with adoring eyes. “In fact, you two share the same exact birthday!”

I giggled, and held up my Barbie. “Mommy, is he here now?” I asked, my voice high and excited.

I heard the doorbell ring, and ran over to the huge red door. I couldn’t reach the doorknob yet, but mommy said I would be able to in a couple of years.

When my mommy opened the door, I saw the boy. His hair was brown and short, unlike my blonde hair that was down to my chest. His eyes were a deep blue, mine a deep green.

The second I saw him, I knew. We were going to be together forever, a perfect fit.

REWIND

At 12:04 a.m on February 3rd, 1963 two babies were born. They were born in the rooms next to each other, one named James and one named Ally. When they were brought to their cribs at the hospital to sleep the next day, they were placed right next to each other.

If you looked close enough, you would see their hands intertwined as they slept.

MeHeartYou SILVER, Springfield, Virginia

I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. i make mistakes, I'm out of control. But if you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best! :)

awwwwwwwww Loved it!