Unforgettable | Teen Ink

Unforgettable

By Annmarie11_12_13 ELITE, Paramus, New Jersey
Annmarie11_12_13 ELITE, Paramus, New Jersey

How could I not have realized it before now? How did I need you to actually ask me before I knew the answer myself? How could I have been so young, so naïve? How could I possibly think I was over you so fast?

I will not lie. I tried to get over you. I went on dates. I flirted mercilessly with your best friend, choosing him only because I knew you would see me doing it and think I had finally moved on. I do care for him, that much is true, but I am still much more attracted to you.

My heart still skips a beat when you are in my line of sight. I thought it was only lingering feelings, old habits trying to resurface. But I pushed them down. Or I tried to push them down. I never succeeded for long, but I still tried. I felt I was improving each time, but one more look from you, one more of your crooked smiles, and all my practice would go out the window.

I told you about my new infatuation. You approved, that much I saw. You said you would even help me. I thought this meant you knew he cared for me too, but perhaps it was really because you just didn’t want the burden of my love anymore. I wouldn’t have blamed you if that were true.

I tried to keep my lingering feelings a secret. But I couldn’t. I still laughed a little too hard. I still stole every second of every time we touched. I still tried to figure out when and where would be the best times to find on you so that we could talk just a little bit more. I hoped you would just think I was hoping you were with your friend, but my fake disappointment when I didn’t see him wasn’t enough to trick you.

You were smart. You were smart enough to voice your suspicions instead of trying to figure it out on your own. I am grateful you did that. I am glad you trust me enough, and feel comfortable enough just to come up and ask me. Even though when you did ask my heart almost stopped, I am still glad you asked.

To be honest, when you first asked me, I didn’t have an answer. I hadn’t thought about it in so long, I had assumed I was truly over you. But then I thought about it. I examined the facts. I thought about how I succumbed to you so easily. I pondered how my emotions took me on a roller coaster whenever we spoke. I inquired how easy it was to talk to you, and how I still thought of you as my best friend.

After that brief consideration, I realized what I had known all along. That I was no closer to being over you than I ever was. That I still had feelings for you that no one else could ever match, or could even come close to. I wouldn’t let them. The hold you have on me is too strong. You were my first love. And I’m not going to forget that.

Camarello SILVER, Salt Lake City, Utah

You'll never cross the ocean if you're scared to lose sight of the shore.

I can definitelyyyy relate to this!!!! First loves are so hard :( You have a talent at writing, keep at it :)