Breyson, Is His Name Ch.3 | Teen Ink

Breyson, Is His Name Ch.3

By Haley_Elizabeth GOLD, Wallingford, Vermont
Haley_Elizabeth GOLD, Wallingford, Vermont

"Embrace imperfection rather than hide your flaws."

I was awake for a long time just pretending to sleep so I didn't have to get up. Why should I? I was in the best place I could ever possibly be in; Breyson's arms.

Eventually, Breyson found out I was awake. It may have been because when he tried getting up, I tightened my arms around his neck, not letting him leave me.

"I'll be right back," he whispered, trying to free himself.

"No," I whinned, my eyes still closed.

"Wanna come with me?"

"Where?"

"I was just gonna go for a walk on the beach."

"Sure," I said, my voice barely audible.

I tried walking, but after wobbling down the stairs one too many times Breyson scooped me up and carried me the whole way, even after we got there. I think he decided that after I pretty much fell asleep during the short trip to the sand, that I was too tired to be on my feet, which I was grateful for.

I watched the waves for a long time until I turned to see Breyson starring at me. It made me uncomfortable. I hadn't even brushed my hair yet, and even worse, I didn't have any makeup on.

"I'm not wearing makeup." I tried to hide my face in his chest.

"So?"

"So... stop looking at me."

"Alli, you look perfect."

When we got back, I took a shower and readied myself for something Breyson was keeping a secret. He wanted, whatever it was, to be a surprise.

The two things I knew about it, were one: I didn't have to dress up to go there. I had asked him just so I wouldn't look like a fool for wearing the wrong outfit. And, two: we could walk instead of drive. Not like we ever really used the car since we got here, everything was so close to where the beach house was, and we liked it that way.

Breyson's little surprise had surprised me. It was a happy surprise until I found out what'd we be doing.

"I thought horses were your favorite animal."

"They are, but not when I have to ride one!"

I thought we were just at the horse farm to look at the horses and pet them. When it comes to actually getting on a horse, I'm more than petrified.

"Come on," he said, dragging me along with his hand in mine. "It'll be fun. I'll get on one with you."

I sighed and knew I already lost this battle, so I didn't bother to argue.

We got on a brown colored horse. It was a girl. Her name was Penelope.

I made Breyson get on first, since I was too afraid, then he gave me his hand and helped me up.

I was fine when Penelope started slowly walking, but then, she started going faster. This is when I freaked out.

"Oh, my God. Oh, my God."

"Calm down," Breyson whispered in my ear. He put his arms around my waist and his head in my hair.

"I can't. Make it slow down!"

"Like I know how?"

"Oh, my God, we're gonna die." I literally had tears in my eyes now.

"Alli. I'm right here." He tightened his arms around my waist and snuggled his face into my neck.

I took a deep breath, told myself to chill, and by the time I collected myself it was time to leave.

When we got home, I changed into my bikini and dug through the garage until I found my surf board. I hadn't used it since I was almost fourteen, but from what I remembered of it, it looked exactly the same; hot pink, and on the end, there was three yellow Flowering Dogwood's, the North Carolina state flower.

I finally got back into the hang of it by the time I saw Breyson watching me. He was smiling.

"I'm not that good," I said as I reached him.

He immediately wrapped his arms firmly around me so there was no air between us. Then, he kissed me. "You're great," he whispered on my lips.

I was pretty sure I was in love with Breyson. And I wanted to tell him. Tonight.

It wasn't going to be a huge thing. I wasn't going to make it romantic or special. I just wanted to say it, so thats what I was going to do.

As nighttime rolled around, I changed into my skimpy pajama's, washed my face, brushed my teeth, then hair. I think I was ready to do this.

Breyson crawled into bed with me as I was updating my facebook status on my iPhone. Afterwards, I shut my phone off and was ready to get started, or so I thought.

He scooped me up on to him, his arms around my waist. We started kissing, and when we both stopped for air, I opened my mouth to say it, but instead I shut it and looked out the window, just wanting to escape.

"What?" Breyson asked, following my gaze.

"Nothin'."

"Alli, what is it?"

"Nothing." I turned to look at him and he just starred, waiting for me to say more. "I just..." I sighed. "I was going to tell you something, but I decided not to."

"What were you gonna tell me, though?"

"It's not important." I tried kissing him again but he pulled away.

"Really? 'Cause it seems like it is."

"I was just gonna say that... that... nevermind. I can't."

I hated myself at times like this, when the littlest thing happens and I feel like I'm going to cry. I knew I was going to so I got up and ran outside to the sand, just so I could hear the waves crashing together loud and clear. I made me feel better.

"What's your problem, Alli?" Breyson was standing right behind me and I hated him for following me.

I turned around to face him. He looked more than pissed, but his face went soft when he saw my tears. He took my hand and pulled me down with him to sit and watch the water. After a while of silence, he put me in his lap and hugged me as I continued to cry.

"Just tell me what's wrong."

"I can't."

"Why not?" His voice was muffled from talking into my hair.

"Because... I'm scared," I whispered.

"You don't have to be. It's just me."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

I looked at him and he put one hand on my cheek. "I... I love you." I felt another tear fall.

He smiled. "Is that what you wanted to tell me?"

I nodded.

He just looked at me for a long time, and I thought he wasn't going to say it back. "I love you, too." But, he did.

Breyson and I kissed as he carried me inside. He flopped us down on the bed, still making out. "I love you," he whispered again.

A huge smile spread across my face everytime he said this, so twice. "I love you, too."