I remember | Teen Ink

I remember

By EkeBont BRONZE, Glasgow, Other
EkeBont BRONZE, Glasgow, Other

Glimmer. Glisten. Glow.

I remember.

The stars lit up the sky above me as I’m lying in the soft dunes. Up. Down. Up. Down. The waves in the distance seem to pulse through me as if my body was trapped in its strange rhythm.

Sighing, I clutch a handful of sand, and felt the tiny grains graze against the thin skin of my palms.

Memories. I’m trying to hold on to them, remember every detail, every smell, every sigh. Don’t go. I miss you, miss you, miss you. Don’t become a memory, simply a vague memory.

I try to hold onto him, but I can’t. He’s slipping away, uncontrollably, like the sand in my hand the memories trickle away, and the harder I hold on to them and tighten my grip on the grains, the quicker they seem to fall away.

Please stay, remain. Forever.

Tears submerge and flood my vision, and anger pulses through me, quicker and quicker, just like the waves. Up. Down. Up. Down.

Why am I alone? Why did you leave?
I throw the sand away from me, and curl my chin up on my knees. My breathing slows down again while I sit there glancing at the stars. Up. Down. Up. Down.
I glanced down at my hand. Grains of sand and their imprints were still stubbornly left over, unwilling to let go.

It then dawned on me that I wasn’t alone. He might be gone, but the memories still sparked up inside me, never forgetting.

Glimmer. Glisten. Glow.

I remember.

Glimmer. Glisten. Glow.