Fierce Loyalty | Teen Ink

Fierce Loyalty

By GreyGirl ELITE, Pohang,Kyungbuk, Other
GreyGirl ELITE, Pohang,Kyungbuk, Other

The first time I see her, I see her as a Stranger. I have been waiting expectantly all day for my
Master, ready to cater to his moods, and I wait a moment now, to see what he anticipates of me. If I saw fear in him, loathing, or anxiety, I would lunge. I have done so before many a time, in the dark alleys of the city where we lived, when strangers prompted such moods. I pride myself on the years I have been with him, protecting him, guiding him, loving him--if he told me to die for him, I would follow his command.

But now, he is emitting signs only of relaxation and pleasure, even smiling outwardly. I go forward at once to the stranger when he calls me, greeting her in my way. Then I sidle up to the Master.
"Don't worry," I want to tell him, "Have a good time--I will defend your peace. And also, I am close by if you need me."

The second time I see her, I see her as a Known Stranger. I wait again, to make sure that the
Master's relationship has not changed, and then settle into the previous stance.
Soon, the Master brings her home every day. They both seem to enjoy each others
companionship. Soon, also, I feel in my Master the same feelings of trust and expectance of
obedience and love that he feels for me, also felt for her. This heightens my trust of the Known
Stranger. Day by day, the Master encourages me to share my sense of his Mastership with the
stranger. And so, as in everything I obey him. After a while, she comes to share our living place. I
accept this with good faith, as my Master expects, and he is pleased. But I worry that my Master
would be disappointed in me, if he knew that I had disobeyed him, just this once. I do not consider her to have the full supremacy of Masterhood. I tried, I did, but my Master had reared me, and there is something between us that can not be reproduced.That is why I know before she does that my Master is displeased. More angry, and displeased than I have ever seen him. And betrayed. This hurts me most; I would never betray my Master. That is perhaps my leading principle in life, and I never violate it. And now someone had.I have been waiting as I always do for him, at the door. The house is not empty, though; she is in
the place of food, but she had only just come home. There has been something perplexing in her scent, when she came home lately-- she brought back the smells of another that were not hers. But this has not caused me to worry. You see, I thought that my Master could sense things as well as I can, and he was still contented, and peaceful--As in all things, I followed his lead. But tonight, he feels differently. His entire being, from the smell of his scent to the lines in his face radiate it. And with a growl, I stand up as if to say "Whatever action needs to be taken, I'll be here guarding your back." It does not matter that I do not know why my Master feels anger, he expects me to be loyal to him, and
I would never fail him.

Together, we stalk into the kitchen. I immediately adopt my Masters mood, and I could feel my lips
pulling back.
"Mandy. So, you're back." Only now, does she sense that something is wrong.
"Whatever do you mean? I've-I've been home all day--"
She reeks of uncertainty, terror.
"Don't lie to me anymore." My Master's voice is pale and cold. "I married you. I trusted you to honor our marriage. I know where you've been... I-I--" He stops.
In his eyes, she has been downgraded to a Hostile Stranger. I know what I must do. He does not bid it, but I never pause to think before I act. I bare my teeth and lunge. The last time I see her, she is a corpse.The last time I see my Master, he is screaming at me "No! No! What have you done?"
I do not understand, but now his feelings of hatred are directed at me. I have always been loyal to
him. I know what I must do.
I turn and run, out of the home and out to the street. The last thing I see is the hulking block of metal, speeding towards me.
I am always loyal. I must never fail my Ma--

I live in rural S. Korea where many of the farmers keep a special breed of dog called the jindo. Jindos are famous for their extreme devotion and bravery, and the koreans tell many folk stories about their heroic actions.

GreyGirl ELITE said...
GreyGirl ELITE, Pohang,Kyungbuk, Other
So glad you liked it!

Steph0804 GOLD said...
Steph0804 GOLD, Seoul, Other

"Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog: you understand it better, but the frog dies in the process." -E.B. White

I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! The ending is very powerful but sad... I feel so sorry for the dog that died because of its love for his master...

GreyGirl ELITE said...
GreyGirl ELITE, Pohang,Kyungbuk, Other
Dear Reader, if you read this story and like it, please don't pass it by! Please leave a comment or even better a rating! Thank you, IreneEYonKratz

timmi said...
This is an amazing short story written by a young writer. I am impressed deeply by the tension of the story and unique perspective of Jindo. Keep up the good work!

GreyGirl ELITE said...
GreyGirl ELITE, Pohang,Kyungbuk, Other
Glad you like it and thanks for the 5 stars!

TheSilverLaurel GOLD, Goole, Other
this is brilliant, i love how its from the dogs point of view and how you cut it off as it was shot. 5 stars

Poor dog! Animals have complex feelings too. I like that the dog's character stays true

fast moving but poignant and well written

vampiregirlz said...
Slightly morbid, but....FASCINATING

packingqueen said...
Wow, I see great vivid scenes as I read your work. It is intriquing and shows you  have very deep thoughts. Keep on writing. I can sense a book or work of fiction jumping to life!