True Colors | Teen Ink

True Colors

By JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

Dear Diary,
I just got that super hot, popular guy as a boyfriend about a month ago!!! (Sorry I haven’t been able to talk to you for a while)!!! My friends and everyone else are super jealous. My boyfriend’s name by the way is Kyle. He is so nice and nice and… well he’s just nice. He can play nearly every sport there is at our school. He could even do cheerleading if it weren’t a strictly girl’s sport. K+J, K+J, K+J, K+J etc. etc.etc. Bye,
Your Bff,
Jaylie (Jay-Jay)

I put my diary down and just daydreamed about Kyle. My boyfriend Kyle. My future husband Kyle. My soul mate Kyle. K+J, KJ, that sounded good together. I sighed in content. My alarm went off, 6:20, it read. I no longer cared what time I got up. The sooner I got ready, the sooner the bus got here, the sooner I see Kyle.

I moved through the morning so fast that I forgot to add milk to my cereal! Before I knew it I was outside in the freezing cold. I tapped my foot in impatience for the bus to come. Snowflakes fluttered from the dark morning sky. Usually the bus would be here right when I got here. Now I was shivering, I should’ve dressed warmer. The streetlight’s light was shattered onto the wet asphalt. I noticed a silhouette approaching the bus stop; it was the other girl here.

She was also one of Kyle’s ex-girlfriends. You’d expect me to be jealous right? Nope, Kyle is dating me, and broke-up with her, so why should I be jealous? Eventually she was here, we both stood like statues, we didn’t even acknowledge each other. (Well she was the statue, I was the one shivering). I watched her as the big fluffy snowflakes gathered in her glossy black hair.
“How are you not cold?” I asked through my chattering teeth.
“How do you know that I’m not?” It was a rhetorical question.
“I mean like, um, you’re not shivering or complaining,” I mumbled.
“Whining or shivering s’not gonna’ make it better will it,” she said.
“Guess not,” I realized I didn’t know her name, “what’s your name?”
“Victoria,” she said flatly, the name suited her. With her shocking icy blue eyes, tannish skin, and heart-shaped face.
“Mine’s------“I was cut off.
“I know your name Jaylie!” Victoria snapped.
“How--------, “again cut off.
“You’re dating Kyle, right.”She said with a hint of a smirk in her voice.
“Ummm, yeah,”I said dumbly.
“Don’t you think it’s weird that he’s had 5 exes?”She said with bitter resentment.
“Look, Victoria, I’m sorry you and Kyle didn’t work out. But Kyle and I love each other.” I felt like I was in some sort of soap opera TV show.
“You love him, but he only loves the game he creates for himself,” Victoria slyly said.
“Jealousy doesn’t bring him back.” As if on cue, the bus came. It screeched to a stop. Before the windows opened, she completely turned to me.
“Fine, I’m not trying to make you give him up. I just see it as fair to warn you that your love is just money to him, something to give away. You’re smart and pretty, it’d suck to see you crushed. Now, you might be right, but I doubt Kyle has changed!” Her smirky tone changed to a tone of genuine concern.
The bus doors swung opened and she stomped into the bus, her arrogant air disappeared and followed her onto the bus. I briefly hesitated to follow her, and then I did. I didn’t know why but her words left a dent in me…Kyle loves me, I’ll leave it at that. The ride lasted longer than normal, but we eventually arrived at school, trance-like I wandered out.
_____________
“Hey Jaylie, wait up!” It was Kyle, I twisted around. This was crazy, in the drama shows ex’s were always making their ex’s girlfriend nervous.
“Hi,”I said as lightly as I could. Was the smile on my face as fake as it felt?
“Hey, is my little blue jay alright?” He asked, so yeah my smile was fake. He twirled me around, I giggled, and yep, I was alright.
“Yep!” we walked into the school.

“So how was your weekend?” He asked.
“Nothing spectacular, babysitted mostly, earned about $20,” I stated casually. I collected my binders from my locker, while he rummaged in his.
“Crud!” He exclaimed, “left my history paper in my car!”
“I’ll get it!” I chirped, “you got announcements in like 20 seconds!” He smiled his heart-stopping smile, and tossed me his keys and I dashed to his Cherry-Red, convertible mustang. I rummaged through his stuff, not finding his paper. The announcements blared. The world stopped.
“Goooood, morning Sun view Falcons…” The announcer said in her overly cheery voice. I forgot Kyle’s not announcer anymore. As I stared at the parking lot I could feel my chest being ripped open.
_____________
“…Today is sunny with a…” the announcer continued. I added my own sentence. With a 100% chance of heartbreak. I saw Kyle with another girl. Her hair fell in vibrant red waves; she was taller and thinner than me. I looked at myself in the car window and suddenly I noticed I was shorter than and not as thin as her. I twirled my elbow-length, chestnut hair self-consciously.
My eyes were burning, my throat started to throb painfully. My heart was twisting itself in agony. For a brief moment I felt like I wanted to scream. The paper was a decoy, and the worst part is that Victoria was right!
Without thinking I stabbed the car’s door with the keys, and then ran them through the length of the door. At first I was horrified with myself, and then I liked the idea of illustrating my heart. No I didn’t like it, I loved it. I withdrew the key from the door, and pitched them at his driver’s window.
Cracks spidered throughout the window, the keys were stuck in the center. And oh, it made a wonderful sound, but sadly no one noticed. (The clamor was loud and the announcements were louder. Kyle also parked his car, so the side I was wrecking was facing away from everyone). I looked Kyle’s way again, he and the red-head were embraced in a passionate kiss.
I started crying, my eyes were blurry, so I barely noticed Victoria on-looking the scene. I ran away and found the nearest restroom, locked myself in a stall and didn’t hold back the waterworks. It felt like I’ve been crying forever when I heard footsteps.
_________
“Jaylie… you in here?” It was Victoria, was she here to gloat? If she was, I won’t hesitate to hit her!
“Yeah, it’s me,” My voice cracked all over the place.
“Please come out,” she said calmly. I hesitated, and then I swung open the stall door, and nearly gave Victoria a free nose job.
“What…do …you…want?”I was attempting to look mean, and failing. Victoria smiled, it wasn’t one of her arrogant smiles, it was just a smile. I gave up trying to appear mean.
“I think his car looks a lot better, don’t you think?” She said trying to make light of things. I weakly smiled; I tried shaping my face into a big girl face. My face muscles were unwilling, but gave in a little.
“Matches his true colors doesn’t it?” I said clumsily, but immediately feeling a little better. I stopped crying.
“Will you be alright?” I nodded absent-mindly. “Okay, uhh, well, I think you should confront him. I mean you are the only one of his exes to do anything to him. But… uhh… that’s just what I think, I’m all for revenge and… Oh I’ll just shut up and let nature take its course…ummm… bye.” Victoria sulked off.
I thought against revenge, I should’ve not done that to his car, and maybe I will help pay for the damage. But then again, he probably wouldn’t help fix my own damage. I wasn’t thinking straight! First: Make him know I’m not okay with what happened. Next: Storm off. Last: Then worry about car repairs. Rage then rationalize.
____________
I saw then walking down the hall hand in hand. The red-head was leaning on him, they were both smiling affectionally, I wanted to vomit. I walked faster and stopped abruptly in front of Kyle.
“Good luck on your history paper, it wasn’t in your car,” I said bitterly.
“Who’s this Kyle?” asked the red-head, sounding worried.
“Don’t worry Katie, she’s just a friend.” I narrowed my eyes.
“Friend, just a few minutes ago, I was your girl-friend,” I snapped.
“What’s going on?” Katie shrieked.
“She’s kidding Katie,” he rubbed her shoulder. “This isn’t a funny prank you’re pulling Jaylie! And by the way where are my keys?” Did he really think I’d let him out alive?
“Keys?” I said feigning confusion.
“You couldn’t have been his girlfriend a few minutes ago, I’ve been with him for 4 weeks now!” She said in denial.
“Bummer I didn’t get to meet you sooner!” I said sarcastically, I think she was starting to realize that this wasn’t a joke.
“My car keys,” Kyle emphasized desperately, either from impatience or he was finally starting to realize he was in an uncomfortable position.
“Oh, those keys, the ones smashed in your window.” I snapped my fingers for effect. Kyle’s face was paper white.
“That…took…2 years…to…save up for,” Kyle croaked in agony.
“It was a nice car, I guess, oh, it also had good mileage,” I smothered my words in sarcasm. Kyle has more mileage than any car in the universe, I thought. Kyle was speechless.
“Cheaters have an expensive lifestyle, wouldn’t you agree?” I shot symphetic look at Katie, and glared at Kyle, then stormed off.
As the crowd merged together, it made a wall of people blotting me out from his view. If he was even looking. He probably already forgot about me. He actually broke up with me in front of his new girlfriend, now probably his new ex-girlfriend. No matter how he broke up with me that’ll never have stopped the inevitable scar slashed across my heart.

Please comment, if you got any helpful criticism, I welcome it.

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Oh why thank you xD

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Oh haha!  Hi Jaylie xD

witt20 said...
witt20, Nancy, Kentucky

i am a good person to do stuff for people!

i loved this book! its my favorite book ever. i can read it 20 more times.

jaylie1 said...
Jaylie is my name! :)

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

You're very much welcome. :)
Just keep writing. You won't get better if you just stopped suddenly :)

on Jun. 24 2011 at 10:47 am
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

That's a typo I meant" I didn't notice that" sorry Thnks

on Jun. 24 2011 at 10:43 am
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thank you for the critique I notice that.  Thank you reading!!!!!!!!!

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

I saw then walking down the hall hand in hand. Change then to them. Other than that, this article is good. Go, Jaylie!!

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

OK thanks for the advice.  I agree ther's definitely some things I need to change.  Thanks for reading!!!!!! :))

on Jun. 21 2011 at 11:42 am
Internal-Love PLATINUM, Queens, New York

Nothing's black or white, its all just a shade of gray---

TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

hey Jo :) i do like this story-----espicially the last line. Although at the journal entry in the begining you could've been more descriptive instead of saying "He is so nice and nice and........well he's just nice. K+J, K+j, K+J, K+J, ect. ect. ect. Bye"

But thats just me.

I also noticed some lines you could've rephrased---i could give you some examples if you want. In the bathroom scene, the last thing Victoria said ("But......uhh.....that's just what i think, I'm all for revenge and.....Oh I'll just shut up and let nature take its course.....umm.......bye") doesnt sound like something a girl like her would say.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a perfectionist.... :S But overall, the story flows really well.

on Jun. 6 2011 at 10:21 am
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

You're welcome thanks for the advice!!!! :D

KyleG SILVER said...
KyleG SILVER, Millville, New Jersey
You noted that that the red-head was taller and thinner twice, perhaps you forgot to take one of them out? I also thought that "sulked off" didn't fit the situation (when Victoria left the bathroom). Sulked made it feel like victoria was mad at jaylie, when in that situation you seemed to describe her as concerned for jaylie. 

Overall I was impressed with this story. It wasn't original by any means, but you made the characters seem very real to me in a very short time. I agree with the others who say you should extend this. I think you there is a lot of potential in the stage where kyle was successfully playing jaylie and katie simultaneously. You could even go so far as to create a situation causing kyle to become a dynamic character, changing his cheating ways because of something jaylie does to inspire him. 

Great work!

(by the way, thanks for reading my poem on the forum)

on Jun. 5 2011 at 11:27 am
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thank you I'll think on that next time I write!  I had alot of fun writing the car wrecking part!!! :))

on Jun. 5 2011 at 10:59 am
Stefegg PLATINUM, Maysville, Missouri

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world."

This is a good story, but some of the dialogue seems a little unrealistic.  I like how Jaylie keys his car- nice effect. I always wanted to do that to my ex. Keep writing- the more you practice the more you'll improve!! 

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

If you could read my novel, 'Romeo and Juliet--A Parody', that would be great!

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thank you!!!! :)) Anything of yours you'd like me to read? ;D

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

This was an interesting twist on an old cliche.  Jaylie is a strong heroine and I felt sorry for her when Kyle turned out to be a cheater.  Great story; keep writing!

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

I didn't mean to imply that every girl should be like that.  I didn't think I did.  I tried to make this a novel but  I didn't have the required words.  But I'm gonna' try to take this down and make it longer.

I thought there were so many great lines in this writing!! I loved "he only loved the game he creates for himself", and "love is just money to him, something to give away", and "my face muscles were unwilling, but gave in a little". Just to name a few. Good for Jaylie for confronting Kyle too! However, I think that you could make a longer story out of this if you chose to. And making Kyle's new girlfriend taller and skinnier than Jaylie implies that being that way is better. With all the pressure these days on girls, I feel that part could be omitted. Overall, awesome story. I felt like you played Victoria very, very well.

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

I am writing a novel, I've been working on it for 2 years about.