The Summer That Changed Everything (pt. 3) | Teen Ink

The Summer That Changed Everything (pt. 3)

By Tayrodactyl PLATINUM, Palmyra, Indiana
Tayrodactyl PLATINUM, Palmyra, Indiana

I was so nervous. I knew nothing would happen because I wouldn’t let it. I knew he was using me. I couldn’t be with someone like that, but he made it so easy to let down my guard. He led me to his bed and we sat there in silence for a few minutes. Then he wrapped his arms around me. I couldn’t help but feel safe and loved. He kissed me. It was soft and gentle, but just as he was going to deepen it my cousin came down stairs.
“We’re leaving.” She said tersely and pulled me away from Damien.
“Why?” I asked, puzzled

She didn’t answer me. We walked home together in total silence. I looked over and saw her crying, but said nothing. I am terrible at dealing with people who are crying. I ask the one stupid question that you shouldn’t ask: “Are you okay?”

When we got home she went straight to our room and buried her face in her pillow. I knew I couldn’t ignore it any longer. She was upset, and it was my duty as her cousin to help her. I sighed to myself and sat down on the bed next to her. I was the younger cousin, but I always felt like the mature one. That was probably because I was.
“What’s wrong?” I asked cautiously.
“Derrik! He’s engaged to Kelly!” She shouted into the pillow.
“Oh.” Was all I could manage.

What is there to do? How can I cheer her up? I look out our window and see the boy who lives next door, Jackson, taking out the trash. He just turned 18 and is the nicest guy I have ever met. I tell my cousin to stop crying and drag her outside. Jackson is about to walk inside when I call out his name.
“Oh! Tay! I didn’t know you were back in town.” He smiled, and looked at my cousin.
“Yeah, I got here a few weeks ago. Have you met my cousin Kerry? She lives here.” I told him.
“I’ve seen her, but we haven’t spoken. Hello, nice to meet you Kerry.” He shook her hand and looked into her eyes.

I smiled at them both. Kerry with her milk chocolate skin and curly brown hair, and Jackson with his tanned skin and toned body. His hair was also a dark brown and styled into a small fro. He wore glasses and was kind of awkward, but I knew Kerry would love him. They stared into each other’s eyes for a few moments.
“Well I’ve got to go, I’ll talk to you later Jackson.” I said, but instead of going back inside I decided to walk down to the dog park.

The sun was going down and I knew my grandma would be wondering where I was. Kerry would probably be wondering where I was too, but I didn’t really care. The dog park was nearly empty as I walked over to the dock. I looked out across the river at the trees. I felt like the world around me was empty, like under the stars I was completely alone. I wasn’t sure if this feeling was good or bad. I sighed again. I looked up at the sky that had now turned black with the night. Seeing so many stars like this was inspiring. It was times like this I thought about important things. Things I didn’t discuss with people.

I felt someone tap my shoulder and spun around. I saw a boy with long black hair and blue eyes that reminded me of the ocean. He smiled at me and I felt my heart pounding. He was so handsome that I thought I was imagining things.
“Hey, I saw you standing here alone and… I was… well, I was wondering if you wanted company…” He stammered.
“What’s your name?” I asked, trying to act cool.
“Ben, what’s yours?”
“Taylor.”
“So, do you want company?”
“Yeah, you can stay.”

We both stood there silently for a moment, just looking up at the stars. Then he asked me something that seemed to surprise us both, “Do you think that there’s someone up there? Like God or whoever?”
“Hmm… I’m not sure. Sometimes I think so, but I don’t always think so. I don‘t usually talk about this with people though.” I said.
“ I’m sorry.” He replied.
“Don’t be. It’s a refreshing change.” I informed him.

I smiled. I wasn’t sure why I was being so open with him, a complete stranger, but I knew that it felt good to talk to someone who had more on his mind than sex.

Everything from here on isn't that true ha ha