Smile in spite of my Troubles | Teen Ink

Smile in spite of my Troubles

By BubbleBathTiger BRONZE, Bridgeport, Pennsylvania
BubbleBathTiger BRONZE, Bridgeport, Pennsylvania

“For, you see, each day I love you more, Today more than yesterday and less than tomorrow"

- Rosemonde Gerard

Joe:

"Hey, I bet I can get more girls to smile than you can." Len said, with a mischievous smile forming on his face. Strangely, I was very attracted to this interesting challenge, if more to talk to Jen. Jen sat in the corner of the room, with a look of utter boredom and confusion. Every single day I tried to muster all the courage to talk to her, but the courage fell every time I got close to her and smelled the berry perfume that wafted from her. It was really dizzying, and quite frankly, hypnotizing. And once I was hypnotized by her fragrance, my mind got lost, and I babbled. Big time. Maybe today would be different.

"You're on." I said with certainty.

I made my way throughout the whole room, gaining smiles here and there. I was working on Lindsey when out of the corner of my eye I saw Jen watching something behind me. I kept my gaze on her while I still talked to Lindsey. I was really close to making Lindsey smile, but something in Jen's eyes made me feel like we were the only two people in the room, even though our eyes weren't really contacting each other. She still stared at the person behind me, and then I heard a huge horse laugh. Len. She rolled her beautiful brown eyes. I smiled with amusement. Clearly, Len would have trouble getting Jen to smile. When I looked back at Jen, she was already back at her own work, clearly ignoring everything else and trying to figure out what exactly Mr. Shuz meant throughout his twenty minute lecture. I completely forgot about Lindsey.

"Joe? Joooee??" she snapped when I didn't respond to her immediately. Girls. They can be so impatient sometimes.

"Huh? What?" I asked when my train of thought was interrupted.

The bell rang loudly, louder than usual.

"Never mind, I'll tell you later" she said as she grabbed her bag and left the room. I saw Len walking behind Jen and flashing his disturbing smile at me. Great. He won what I wanted.

Jen:

Well thank God that was over. Now on to World Cultures. Hmm, I wonder why Joe was staring at me. I really hope my bra didn't show like the last time I had gym and he was staring. This time, I made sure no undergarments were showing off when they weren't supposed to. I keep walking towards my class when I feel something on my back. I turn around and my eyes feel cold as I acknowledge the individual who touched me. Len.

"Hey Jen. How's it going?" he asked as he looked me up and down, and licked his lips. Perv.

"Nothing much." I answer and turn around and try to continue my way down the hallway. He grabbed me before I even got a chance to take a step.

"No, I don't think so." he said as he pushed me against the lockers. They felt cold against my warm back, and before I knew it, Len had his stupid mouth on mine.

He smelled like a wet dog. I felt his lips open and his tongue start to lick my own mouth. I felt my long gone breakfast come back. I opened my eyes to make sure it was a nightmare. Opening my eyes was a big mistake because I saw Joe walking up to us, his smile gone and replaced by a look of grievance. I don't know why I chose this moment to really examine his eyes, but I did. His brown eyes twinkled when he saw me making eye contact, but it was brief. His eyes soon became clouded, and he walked farther away from Len and me. That was also the moment I remembered what Len was doing. By that time, he was starting to use teeth. His drool was falling from his mouth and landed on my shoulder. Ew. I pulled away, and immediately slapped him.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I asked him. I saw Joe had turned around and was watching us intently.

Joe:

I turned around just in time to see Jen slap the crap out of Len. He looked out of breath and unfocused. I could not believe it.

"Come on, you know you liked it." he said as he inched closer to her. I started moving forward and prepared myself to punch Len. There was no way I would let him get away with that. I saw that Jen wasn't going to let him get away with that either.

"Don't you dare touch me again." she challenged Len. Mistake. Now, Len wasn't going to give in easily. I sighed and shook my head no.

"No." he said and was in the process of pushing against her. I saw his hands slide up her side, and underneath her shirt, until Jen stopped him. She kneed right where he lives and breathes. I was right next to her by then, and watched her as she yelled at him.

"That'll teach you to kiss me and touch me jerk." she yelled down to where Len was laying. I couldn't help but laughing out loud. She turned around. I could hear her breathing as she looked up and locked eyes with me. It took all the courage I could muster to not grab her and kiss her right then and there.

"Why are you laughing?" she asked pointedly. She was clearly p***ed off. Very p***ed off.

"I would like to know the same thing." Mr. Shuz asked.

Jen was still looking at me, but the terror that registered in her eyes was immense.

"Jen kneed me, and Joe started laughing, Mr. Shuz." Len volunteered.

"All righty.. Ms. Valencia, Mr. Mguire, and Mr. Holden follow me please." Mr. Shuz said and turned towards his classroom.

I have never seen so much fear in a girl's eyes, like the fear I saw in Jen's.

Jen:

I am so screwed. Stupid Len. I hate him so much. I would like to spit in his eye. He could crawl up a hole and die for all I cared. And don't get me started about Joe…Actually, I can't say anything bad about Joe. Except he is really cute, nice, amazing, funny, and well i don't know what else because he's probably is going to take Len's side of this. Boys. Can't live with them, can't live without them.

"Ok, Jen. What happened?" Mr. Shuz asked me. I felt Len and Joe eyeing me. My cheeks began to blush furiously. I was not going to give Len the satisfaction of humiliating me.

"Len was touching me in unwanted ways, so I told him to stop. When he didn't I kicked him right where it hurts." I said.

"She's lying."

"No, she's telling the truth Mr. Shuz." Joe said. Well, that was really unexpected. I looked at him. He met my eye and held my gaze. I was about to melt.

"Well, with Len's given history, I have to believe Jen. I'm sorry Len. You have detention for the next week. Ms. Valencia and Mr. Mguire you can leave." Mr. Shuz said as he pulled up his pack of detention slips.

It was quiet in the hallway, except for Joe who was shuffling next to me. I looked at him.

"Thanks for standing up for me in there."

"No worries, Len was gonna get it soon. It's funny, we were trying to get the most girls to smile. He didn't make you smile, he made you genuinely p***ed off." he said shyly. I noticed his cheeks got rosier.

"He has a tendency to do so."

"Well, I'm kinda sad because I din't get a chance to make you smile." he said.

"Oh, but you did." I said.

He looked at me and I smiled.

This was based off of a dream. I tried my best to try and write in a guy's point of view. Sorry, if Joe sounds girly. Not what I was going for. Enjoy!

softballfreak42 GOLD, Holmdel, New Jersey

-DARE TO BE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-A love story gone wrong. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a love story.
-Where there is no struggle, there is no strength.
-When writing the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen.

GO JEN!!! SHOW LEN WHO YOU ARE!!!!! xD

This was a great story! I loved reading it

- Rosemonde Gerard

um...idk why it's giving the whole &qoute;...tht is not cool