Hold my hand. | Teen Ink

Hold my hand.

April 5, 2011
By Raquel25 GOLD, Centralia, Washington
Raquel25 GOLD, Centralia, Washington
12 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love me, not for her, not for him, not for she, not for he, not even for me, but for you."

"Outer beauty is the eyes reaction to inner beauty"


Waiting anxiously outside the bright blue gait, my heart trembles. Thoughts exploding one by one in my subconscious mind.

Step one-Flirt like your life depends on it.
Step two-Convince Anthony to go on the ferris wheel (with you).
Step three-Say your “sleepy” (an excuse to lay your head on his shoulder)
Step four-Kiss Anthony....
Step five-Live happily ever after.

Anthony was by far the sweetest guy in the entire world! Knowing him for seventeen years now and never having a drop of feelings for him, until last spring. Everyone always insisted that we were the “Most likely to get married” out of all our friends. Tonight was a tradition, every time my birthday came around the fair pulled into town. So when we were seven years old we decided we would celebrate by stuffing our faces with cotton candy, and elephant ears. Then ridding the rides to see who barfed first; the rules we had of the celebration have changed as we’ve aged, but the concept was still there.
“Hello sunshine.” His voice making my heart skip a beat.
“Anthony!” Flinging myself into his arms, my face pressed against into his upper chest.
“Are you ready for the best birthday of your life?” He asked me this question every single year and my response is consistently “Yes!”
Draping his arm over my shoulder he pulled us closer to the shimmering gate. Going with the flow I wrap my arm around his lower back; making our way to the ticket booth, as the line crept slowly along. Finally pulling up in front of the steel rod window type thing, Anthony's deep soothing voice trickles from his lips. “ Two wrist bands please.” The remarkable thin blonde women's voice was very motherly “ Of course dearies. That will be forty dollars please.” Pulling out my wallet I began to remove a twenty dollar bill, then a warm hand came over mine “You’re not paying for your own birthday.” Feeling weak I bit at my lip. A faint voice slipped through my lips “okay.” That was all I could say, I was much to overwhelmed by the fact of his hand on mine. If his hand could overwhelm me, what can his lips do? Pulling two twenties from his pocket, he slid them into the indent in the window. In return the petite women slid under two plastic like bracelets. “You two make such an adorable couple, I just thought I would tell you.” Then the second the words fell off her lips, Anthony’s arm dropped right off my shoulders. Sounding solid and cold he spoke “Were not a couple, she’s like my sister.” These were by far the worst words a guy; you adore, could ever say. At that very second all my plans came crashing down like bricks crashing to the pavement. Snatching up the wrist band I take a step forward; kind of like a coping mechanism, not letting him see the sorrow wreck across my face. Catching up with me, he walked beside me, silently for a couple moments in time. Turning to me his face light up. “Which ride are we going to take on first?” The words trailing off his lips hit me like poison. “The ferris wheel” I just blurted it out, no second thoughts to it. Slightly shocked he replied “We usually save that for last, but ok?” Confusion sprinkled into every word. Walking solemnly to the ferris wheel I finally made up my mind, I am going to kiss Anthony. If its weird and awkward then its weird and awkward. I’ve been waiting for this since the day I saw him kiss Tiffany. I remember feeling like I couldn’t breath, like my world was kinda falling apart, I hated it with a burning passion. Yet I couldn’t explain why I felt that way, but it was obvious. I am in love with Anthony and it just took that situation to make me realize it. Feeling his hand pressed against my back his voice rang through all the fair noise. “Hey, were at the ferris wheel. You ok?” Sincere concern sparkled through each and every syllable. My voice weak and showered in choking tears “Wow.” His laugh made his face light up like the sun. “Are you two getting on the ride or not!” A chalky smokers voice spoke. Looking at each other for a millisecond we both step on to the platform and take our seats. Feeling the gears begin to crank we are lifted higher in the air. The ride begins to spin around its axis. Without a thought; as usual, I began to speak.

“Anthony have you ever lied to a friend because you thought if you didn’t it would ruin your friendship?”


“No?”

“Oh... well is it bad too?”

“I think you should never lie to a friend unless its a practical joke.”

“Oh.. so under no circumstance would you do that?”

“No.”

“I lied to someone and they are immensely important to me. I can’t stop thinking about it.”

“Who did you lie to?”

“A person.”

“And what is this persons name?”

“Please just tell me what I should do.”

“Tell them the truth.”

“What if they don’t want to hear the truth.”

“Maybe its you who doesn’t want to hear the truth not them?”

My hands trembling I think this over, do I tell him or not? Just do it...Whispering as quietly as I could, I looked at him.

“I lied to you Anthony...”

“What? Why?”

“Please don’t hate me...”

“I could never hate you.”

“I don’t want to be your sister. I want to be more than that.”
Looking away from his face I take a deep breath.

“Anthony, I love you. I have for a while now, I don’t know how to explain this. I feel like an idiot for never telling you, but I just....”
Feeling my eyes swell I stopped talking. Then something happened that I never would have expected, Anthony wrapped his sun kissed, strong arms around me and pulled me in. Our faces so close I take one last breath, our lips met. Raising my hands I pushed my hands into his hair. Every thought raced from my mind, this was it. I was only here and now. What felt like days later our mouths drifted apart, his face was beautiful “I’ve been waiting to do that for seventeen years now.” A slightly wicked smile flashed across his face. Feeling a jagged crash followed by a horrific screeching sound, I almost flew out of my seat. “Anthony what was that?” I could feel the fear strike my face. “I’m not sure. Probably nothing.” He began to play the role of Mr.Manly, trying not to seem scared. And then it happened, the ferris wheel drastically slammed to a halt, then jerked harshly to the right. “Anthony!” I screamed as the air flew passed us. Grabbing me rapidly he pushed me against his chest. Crash! The giant wheel slid across the hard pavement. Feeling the life seep out of me I use all my strength to look at Anthony. “Anthony, hold my hand please.” My voice broke with every word. “I’ll never let go.” He spoke so briefly. Everything went dark, as I simultaneously felt Anthony and myself take our last breaths.