The Perfect Dress | Teen Ink

The Perfect Dress

By Lover_that_Hates DIAMOND, Reynolds, Georgia
Lover_that_Hates DIAMOND, Reynolds, Georgia

"She was fascinated with words. To her words were things of beauty, each like a magical powder or potion that could be combinded with other words to create powerful spells." From: Lighting(By: Dean Koontz)

The dress was perfect. That was all I had really cared about; the perfect dress, and it was. I let my mother and my mother-in-law plan everything else; but this was my dress, and it was all I had hoped for.

A smile spread across my face as I stared in the full-length mirror. Today was my wedding day, and I was wearing the perfect dress. I hear the dressing room door open, and immediately expect one of my best friends to burst in (drunk with excitement and a bit of wine), but instead I see an unexpected reflection behind mine in the mirror. My face falls, my heart following close behind. Every bit of excitement that had been within me just a moment earlier was abruptly shoved out, and replaced by sadness and regret. I didn’t dare turn to face him—not after all this—instead I stare at his reflection. He isn’t dressed for the occasion, of course (that would be to appropriate). Wearing his worn leather jacket (as always), a wrinkled white t-shirt, and black slacks, along with the plainest black and white converse you can imagine. Somehow, he always remained the mysterious stranger, no matter how well I knew him. Oh, and I knew him so well…too well. His dark hair was cut short (a new look for him), the once shaggy mop of hair that shadowed his green eyes was gone; in its place was a clean cut, coming just an inch over his forehead. I liked it, but it was too serious for him, too kept.

“Hey.” He said. That voice I still dreamed about was calm, cool, and full of purpose.

“Hey.” I said in reply. My voice was weak, nervous, terrified of why he might be here, of what he would say. I turned around, unable to resist a closer look at him; it had been so long since I’d seen him. His deep green eyes survey me, and suddenly— even wearing this perfect dream wedding dress—I felt naked; because he could see right through me. I fold my arms over my chest, hugging myself.

“What are you doing here? This…This is for me, Luke.” I say, almost desperately. A small smile twitched at his lips, it was that smile that always made me think things were going exactly according to his plan. The site of that smile made me angry. But before I could say anything more he was talking.

“What are you doing here, Grace? This is…cruel.” He sounded hurt all the sudden—wounded. I was outraged! He didn’t get to do this; he didn’t get to be hurt! He had no right to act like, I broke his heart! The truth is…we broke each others. I wanted to sound how I felt: angry, outraged, confident in the decisions I’d made. And I had been, two minutes ago, staring at this dress, I had been sure of everything, everything; but then he had walked in…and…everything crumbled. Should one person be allowed to have such power over another?

“Cruel?” I say, near tears. “I’m cruel? Why? Because I’m living my life? Because I’ve learned to smile since you left? Because I’ve genuinely laughed once or twice? Is that what makes me cruel?” I was yelling now, but still fighting tears. I saw anger flash in his eyes, too, but Lucas was never one to show his temper.

“Cruel to him!” he said, his voice calm, but his eyes blazing. “Whoever he is. Cruel to you. And, yes Grace, cruel to me.” I turned away from him, still hugging myself; or rather holding myself together. But he grabbed me, pulling me close to him. I should have shoved him away, but instead I did the worse thing possible…I looked up into his eyes.

“I didn’t come here to talk you out of anything, Grace. The story of you and me is no more a fairytale than the story of you and him has a happy-ending. I just came here to tell you…that this is wrong, I love you, and…you look beautiful in that dress.” I couldn’t breathe! How does he do that? Who is he freaking Darth Vader? He lowered his lips to mine and they barely brushed. Then he was across the room with his hand on the doorknob, and a grin on his face. “I’ll be waiting out front.” He says, then pulls the door open. Before he can disappear, I say

“Wait!” He halts in his steps. A little breathlessly I utter “I really…like your new hair cut.”

whatshername GOLD, Carlsbad, California
this is good, but the endings kinda akward (i can never spell that word...oh well). the large spaces inbetween was distracting but that mightve been the websites doing. overall good job!!

HeyAmanda SILVER, Rancho Cucamonga, California
love love love

thanks ppl LOL I lov to get feedback I'm glad you all enjoyed this piece! I was a little nervous about posting this piece b/c this is a TEEN site so I wasn't sure how many of you would relate to a wedding day themed story. Looks like my worrying was unnecessary  :)

Chanchie GOLD said...
Chanchie GOLD, Trivandrum, Other

A writer who writes without zest, without gusto, without fun, without love is only half a writer.
-Ray Bradbury

'I really like your haircut.' The perfect ending to the perfect story! :D

Lilacs_Smell_Wonnerful PLATINUM, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

When life gives you lemons make grape juice. Then sit back and watch everyone look at you in amazement. :)

I love it! A lot! Great Job! :) I mean, it is really really good!!

-Lilac

I love it!  It is sweet and perfecty shows how confusing and difficult love can be and How it is not always easy.  it is definatly one of my favorites.

Gabriela_Ayala BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Don't worry about the people in your past. There's a reason they didn't make it into your future.

This is so good :) it's like im standing right there :) keep it up :)