Am I Really in Love (pretext) | Teen Ink

Am I Really in Love (pretext)

By sparkledreamer SILVER, Los Angeles, California
sparkledreamer SILVER, Los Angeles, California

"There's a lot of things you need to get across this universe. Warp drive... wormhole refractors... You know the thing you need most of all? You need a hand to hold." - The Doctor

It was in the hall when I first saw him. He was everything I wished I could be. I had a crush on him since seventh grade and now, six years later, I am in twelfth and so is he. I wish I could get up the courage to talk to him. I am just so shy. My best friend just came up to me. “Still crushing?” she asked. Oh she knew me so well. I had spilled my heart out to her last year when he took the head cheerleader to prom. I was so devastated and sat in my room, crying my eyes out, with my best friend sitting next to me. Rubbing my back and trying to comfort me. But it is a new year this year and I have another chance because he broke up with the cheerleader last year, after the prom. I don’t know why he did it, but I’m really glad he did. If he hadn’t I wouldn’t have the courage to go to school. Now I fix my hair as he walks by me. He says, “hi”, and continues walking. I wish I had the courage to respond. He is just so charming and such a gentleman. He is the one for me.

There she is again. She is always staring at me. Is their something on my shirt? Do I have food in my teeth? I don’t get her. I’m nothing special. So what if I went to prom with the head cheerleader last year? She was the one that asked me and then when we got there she just left me to go be with her friends. So I decided to dump her. Nothing wrong with that. But the truth is… I have had a crush on her for two years. On the first day of eleventh grade, she walked into my homeroom right before the bell rang. She was so close to being late. But that made me wonder. Why had she almost been late? What had been going on? So I smiled at her and she gave me a little smile back.

I remember the first time he even noticed me. It was that first day in eleventh grade. I had almost been late to school because my brother had thrown his cheerios all over my shirt and I had to go and change. At the time I hated him for it but I guess it had turned out for the better because as soon as I walked in the door, I saw him staring at me. He smiled and my whole day brightened up. So I smiled back. And everyday since then we have had the same conversation. He says hi and I smile back. Hopefully this year I will have the courage to actually talk to him and not just smile.

I don’t know what was going on with her and I wonder if I will ever find out but maybe this afternoon I will have the courage to ask her out.

After school today, I was standing at my locker and he comes up to me. He says, “I was wondering if you wanted to hang out this Saturday night?” I was so shocked that all I could do was nod. He responded, “So I’ll pick you up at seven thirty?” I nodded again, so cliché of me. He smiled and left. So that was it. My dreams and wishes had been answered.

She said yes to me… I wonder what our date will be like? What will we talk about? It doesn’t really matter because I think I love her.

What will I wear? What will happen? Will he kiss me? What should I do? I have liked him for so long and I don’t know if I trust myself to be alone with him. He will be here in forty-five minutes so I better start getting dressed. I should call my best friend up for advice…

******************
SEVEN YEARS LATER

I don’t know if I will ever be able to explain what happened on that first date. But some how, we just started talking and talking and talking and when the date was over and I got home, he called me and we continued talking for the rest of the night. Now, seven years later, we have moved in together and are getting married in a year. How did it ever come to this?

I am marrying her!! I can’t believe it. The first date went so well and I think I love her. I don’t know what to do. But I hope to be with her for a while. Did I mention that I am so excited to be marrying her!

This part of the story takes place when Carmon is twenty three and the middle part of the story, that i wrote and published separately, takes place six months later. Just thought I'd let people know.

Vanendra BRONZE, Blasdell, New York

"I just sneezed and it hurt my pelvis."~Jasmine Omg
"A wise girl kisses but doesn't love"~Marylin Monroe
"I didn't tell him nowhere where you live" ~me ^-^
"I like the wolves on this textbook, they have very legs" ~Jasmine Omg

This pretext of your poem is really good too. I love them both! ^-^ Ever think of writing a romance novel? I think you would be excellent st writing one.