Painting Love | Teen Ink

Painting Love

By AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina
AsIAm PLATINUM, Somewhere, North Carolina

"According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. (Generally those who don't have to do it. Politicians and writers spring to mind.) I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking." — Jonathan Stroud (Ptolemy's Gate)

I have a painting in the master bedroom of the house my husband and I have shared for sixty-three years. It sits on a trunk, below a nail, looking for all the world as if we mean to hang it, and next to it is a set of paints and a brush. It doesn’t resemble anything – it is a collage of many colors, painted on with a careful hand. About sixty-two years ago, my husband’s curiosity got the better of him one night when I was adding a new color.

“What exactly are you painting?”

“Love.” He looked at me, blue eyes filled with questions, so I laid down my brush and gestured for him to sit. “I’m painting our love.

“Blue like the sky the first time I saw you sitting on that bench when I jogged by.

“Red for your shirt the first day I had the courage to sit next to you.

“You asked me out using a series of yellow notes in my locker.

“Pink is for the lip-gloss I wore when you first took me to the movies.

“Fuchsia, the color I turned when my cell phone rang and it was you, the first guy to ever call me.

“Pale cream, the color I bleached to when I dialed you back.

“Rose, the color of my cheeks when you first kissed me.

“Chestnut, the color of hair I brushed out of your eyes the first time I invited you to my house.

“Green, for the asparagus my mom cooked the night I brought you to meet my parents.

“Blue, the color my shoes were before I fell in the river the first time you took me fishing. Brown for the color they were after.

“White, the color of the roses you always give me.

“Grey, the color of my tears the first time we fought, and then your shirt as you held me close and apologized.

“Amber, the color oozing out of the tree we carved our initials into.

“Orange, the tint of the leaves falling off our tree the night you proposed.

“Purple is the color I chose for the roses in my wedding bouquet.

“Silver adorned my dress and veil.

“Gold rings for both of us.

“Bright red “SOLD” emblazoned on the sign out front when we bought our first house, and two years later, this one.

“Light pink on the pregnancy test.

“Clear glossy tears of joy.

“Faded green changing hands as we exchanged wrinkled bills for baby preparations, that’s the color I’m adding now.

“And so many more colors to come.” Tears glistened in his eyes and he smiled.

“Are we ever going to hang it?” I laughed and held his hand.

“Our kids can hang it when we’re dead, because as long as I am alive to love you, it will never be done.”

Not my best, but what the heck. :)

asofnow GOLD said...
asofnow GOLD, Troy, Michigan

Nothing gold can stay ~ Robert Frost

Such a good twist on ending <3

AsIAm PLATINUM said...
on Nov. 12 2010 at 8:37 am

haha Thanks!  And I agree about the teen romance - it's usually sappy.  Hence my novel (Duty: To Heart) being a little romance with a lot of other stuff. lol

Phoenix97 PLATINUM, Minneapolis, Minnesota

See lyrics to "Let the Waters Rise" by MIKESCHAIR and "Everything" by Lifehouse

Awwwww, this is absolutely the sweetest thing I've read on here! If I could hug an article... I love that you created unique meanings for the colors. But even better, I love that this isn't between teenagers! Not to diss teen romance, but it lacks depth usually...

Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

How can you not like it? I LOVE IT!!! It shows a couple's love perfectly. I love the decriptions of the colours, it filled the story out a bit and provided great imagery. I love the ending too! 

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thanks!  And of course I will check out your stuff. :)

Jellybean9898 PLATINUM, Glendale, California

"When nothing goes right, go left"-Anonymous
"Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste to the sky as well as the Earth"-Henry David Thoreau

i totally and absolutely loved this.  it was so sweet, and the last line really pulled it all together.  amazing job!  check out my work?

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thanks so much!

Eatfoodzap SILVER, Winchester, Massachusetts

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. But if you can overcome the sacrifice and make it your own, you will gain an irreplaceable Fullmetal heart."- Edward Elric

That's really beautiful. It's amazing how you captured all of the little moments, defining them only by colors. And the last line is especially lovely.

Great job!

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thank you! ~AsIAm

Just.A.Dream SILVER, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Part of the J7X team. :)

Creative, amazing, beautiful. I don't even know how to describe it. I love it so much though! Amazing how well you explained love, and how far love goes: never ending. :)

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thanks so much! ~AsIAm

Toria3339 SILVER, Newport Beach, California
this was amazing! i love how the colors tell the story! very creative :D

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thank you!~AsIAm

CrazyWriter GOLD, Lorton Station, Virginia

"Once you have given up on the most important thing in your life, you begin to die, because then, you gradually lose your true self"~Hana Kimi
"Someone who can lie to themself. . . is lonely, and in pain"~Hana Kimi

Awwww this warmed my heart:D more! more!

~CrazyWriter

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Thanks :) ~AsIAm

KatWolf said...
KatWolf, Santa Clara, California

"Perfection is a journey, not a destination."

Extremely sweet! I love it ^_^

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

I think it kind of drags on.  I'm glad you like it though! :) ~AsIAm

SwordGirl SILVER, Apex, North Carolina

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

-- Winston Chuchill

Why don't you like this? It's really good! I think it's clever and sweet!

AsIAm PLATINUM said...

Aww, thanks!  I don't really like it, but i figured I'd post it anyway.  Thanks again! ~AsIAm

DaddyzUnwantedDolly PLATINUM, Raliegh, North Carolina

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."~ Dr. Seuss

This is really sweet, I love it.