A Summer To Die For ch. 3 pt. 2 | Teen Ink

A Summer To Die For ch. 3 pt. 2

By taylorf463 GOLD, Marion, Kentucky
taylorf463 GOLD, Marion, Kentucky

If he'll lie for you, he'll lie to you.

An ending was an ending. No matter how many pages of sentences and paragraphs of great stories let up to it, it would always had the last word.

“This lemonade is good. Thanks.”
“You’re welcome. I was getting thirsty so I figured you were, too.”
He’d held my hand so decided to turn up the flirting a notch. “So you were the hot and sexy jock that all the girls--and a few guys--chased after. You went to all the cool parties and had all the adults wrapped around your finger. Am I right?”
“I guess. But I wasn’t just some shallow guy. I actually had morals and values. That was what set me apart.”
“You had morals?” I couldn’t help but smile.
“On my defense, I thought we were speaking in past tense.” We laughed, “But what about you?”
“What about me? The description? I’ll let you take a swing at that.” A small smile crept across my lips.
“You went to all the parties but still kept a 3.0 GPA. You weren’t a sl**, so you had that one guy that you would only make-out with through all his desperate pleading to go farther. Never broke curfew and an only child.” Matt had pretty much hit the nail right on the head.
“Close. I kept a 4.0 GPA.” More laughs. “And I broke curfew most every night. Home by 12 equaled home by 2 for me. My mom never punished though.”
“So, even after you spent the better part of you high school career with this loser, he still dumped you for,” Matt made a disgusted face. Whether it was about the name or because he thought Allen was a fool, I don’t know. “Claudia.”
“Yeah,” The night air was getting cool and refreshing. The stars were shining bright and it was calm. Today was magical. “He dumped me, can’t say much more.” Matt’s hand found mine and our fingers intertwined. Even though I knew that his girlfriend went missing a mere week ago, my mind was playing with what Aunt Sadie had told me. She thought they were broken up, maybe that’s why he’s acting attracted to me. Matt was too sincere and he talked to me like I wasn’t some stupid girl. He understood and the attraction seemed mutual. I needed to live in the moment and not keep my mind racing. Let it play out and have fun. This is the time for me to have fun and relax, there won’t be much at Yale.
“He was--is--a stupid guy for dumping you.” I could see Matt looking at me through my peripheral vision. So I turned and looked at him, too. Then a funny thing happened, he started leaning in toward me. This is it. Matt Young is about to kiss me, me Leslie Peak. I tilted my head and our lips met. It was a sweet and soft kiss that was over far, far too soon. “So, Leslie Rayanne Peak, will you be my girlfriend?” I knew I was supposed to be living in the moment, but I couldn’t just go on and not say anything about Melissa.
“I just can’t not say this, but what about Melissa?”
Matt sighed like he’d been expecting it but was hoping it would be avoided. “I knew you were going to say something about that. We were broke up, okay?”
“You’re not doing the I’m-going-to-hook-up-with-the-tourist-girl-while-my-girlfriend-is-MIA are you?”
“No! Leslie, no. I’ll tell you the truth. Melissa and I had decided to keep our relationship going while we were apart. It had been rocky for the past few months but we were still together. After I get back she comes over for dinner one day and later that night she breaks up with me. That was the day before she went missing. No one else knew that we had broken up. I didn’t want to tell the police because it would raise the suspicion levels on me and I didn’t do it. I know it’s selfish but it really isn’t hurting anything. But, I am single, just so you know. There is nothing wrong with us being together. Nothing. Okay?”
He made it seem so simple like everything was okay and we were fine to be together. But it just didn’t seem that simple, people would figure it out and question him and he would have to tell the truth. But if he didn’t do it and had an alibi, it wouldn’t matter, we could be together. “Yeah. But you promise you’re not just saying this so you can hook up with some girl here for the summer, AKA me?”
“Yes. I promise you Leslie. I promise.”
His eyes looked genuine and sincere. They were big pools that I could get lost in. Now was the time I was going to live in the moment, totally in the moment. I nodded my head.
“Like I asked before: Leslie Rayanne Peak, will you be my girlfriend?”
“Mathew David Young, I would more than love to.”
We sealed the vow with many kisses under the beautiful Carolina night sky that contained some of the most perfect stars I’d ever laid eyes on.

The last time I checked my watch between kisses it was 1:42. I decided that I had time for a few more kisses from my boyfriend Matt Young (gosh, I just love saying it) until it was time to head home, a whole 30 feet. Then I looked at my watch a little later: 2:14. CRAP!
“I have to leave!” I started to get up but failed because my right foot was asleep.
“Wait, what?” He looked confused but stood up and helped me follow in suit.
“I was supposed to be home at 2 and it’s,” I looked at my watch again, “Now it’s 2:15! I have to get home!”
“You’re already late and I’ve seen Sadie look out here a few times. You’ll be fine. Stay just a couple of minutes?” He had a pleading look on his face.
Whatever. “Okay, but I feel so bad. This was my first night out and I’ve completely blown it.” The very first night and completely ruined it. Although, he did have a point, I was already late. What’s another five minutes/
“It is going to be fine. What’s you cell number?” He pulled out his iPhone and looked up at me.
“270-635-1280.” I put his number into my phone also then asked, “Do you work?”
“Just for the summer. I work at the coal mine. My father is,” He paused to think. “I don’t know, but he’s close to the top. It got me a summer job.”
“That’s good, but how just for the summer?” I though a place like that wasn’t really a place to apply for a summer job, just a place for a full time regular job. If you were lucky enough to get hired.
“Yeah, makes since why you’d ask that.” He gave a small chuckle. “This guy is having some kind of surgery and is going to be off work until September, just about the time I’ll be leaving. Back to the old college days.”
I was about to ask his about college and what it was like when I realized I really had to leave. “One more thing before I leave.”
“Shoot.”
“Are you working the day after tomorrow? I’m going out with Teagan Andrews tomorrow. Teagan Andrews, do you know her?”
“Yep. 7 to 7, the normal for me now. So, uh, do you want to go out Friday night?” Matt realized he’d forgotten my other question. “I know Teagan, she’s cool.”
“Uh, Saturday instead? I think we’re, as in me and Aunt Sadie and all, are having you guys, as in you and your mom and all, over for dinner at like 8 on Friday.”
“That’s cool then, Saturday. I’ll set something up. Okay? I’ll call!”
“Okay! See you tomorrow!”
He gave me a lingering kiss goodbye and we parted ways. It wasn’t until I was on my porch way form his it’s-going-to-be-alright attitude that I was hit with a mountain of shame. My eyes started to well up so I sat down on one of the wicker chairs my aunt kept on the porch. How could I have done this? The first time I go out and she tells me to be home by 2 (2!!!) and I’m late. She’s cool and she understands, but how did I completely blow it? What will she say, what will she do, oh, what emotions will play out on her face? How did I do this? I wiped my eyes and ventured inside to see what awaited.

No lights were on, strange. I walked into the kitchen and picked up a note folded in half with my name on the front cover of the outside:

Leslie,

I don’t want you to get into a habit of this. I’m not upset because I saw that you were just sitting outside with Matt. I’ll put it like this: You must be on our property by 2 a.m. By 4 a.m. you must be in this house. Those are the rules, no exceptions. I want you to have a great summer here, so I’m going to be understanding.
After all, you aren’t 14 anymore.

Love,

Aunt Sadie

P.S. Gosh! You’re 18!!! When did that happen!?!?

P.P.S. Matt is a nice boy, but don’t get going to fast. I know I sound like your mother, but we just love you.

P.P.P.S. Friday night at 8 p.m. Matt’s family is coming over for dinner like I think I might have mentioned. Good Night!

I knew Aunt Sadie would be fine with this, but I just couldn’t shake the feeling of shame off. I knew I’d disappointed her and I was so sorry for it.
Note to Self: Improve on time management skills. This needs to happen ASAP.

This is Chapter three part 2 of 'A Summer To Die For'. As I said in part one, it was too long so I had to split it into two parts.

on Jun. 30 2010 at 12:42 am
Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

"I may be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it." - Maya Angelou

"Did you know 'I told you so' has a brother, Jacob?" she asked cutting me off. "His name is 'Shut the hell up.'" - Bella Swan, Breaking Dawn

yeah, I write best late at night too.

I'm so excited for Eclipse, I'm going to see it in IMAX in like 11 hours.

I'm glad you're excited to read chapter 2. I can't wait to see what people think of it. I'll definitely let you know when it's up.

Also, here's an exclusive: I've got a new story in the works that is going to be called "The Intentionally Repulsive Life of Fred" (I'm assuming you've read The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner) and I'll be submitting a "coming soon" description in the next couple of days because Summer Storm is my first priority.

taylorf463 GOLD, Marion, Kentucky

If he'll lie for you, he'll lie to you.

Yeah. I thought about the area code thing when I wrote it, but I had no way to check because I hand write my stuff out. (Bad experience, 20 pages typed, a computer crash, and bye-bye story. Nightmare!) I usually write late at night when i'm supposed to be sleeping, so I didn't have a computer and forgot to change it. lol. I'll go over the middle name thing, it'll all add when i'm done. haha lol. :)

ps. I CAN NOT wait to read chapter 2. I'm actually re-reading the twilight series b/c of it. lol :)

on Jun. 29 2010 at 1:47 am
Robsessed PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

i like the story so far. you have a really good voice. i feel like I am Leslie when I'm reading. boy does Matt move fast. LOL! Anyway, sometimes i think you get ahead of yourself in the story. I mean how did they know each other's middle names? This isn't a big deal, but if you want to make things more realistic you should fact check the area codes for Vermont b/c you used a KY area code for Leslie's phone number, which you probably did because you live in Marion. I only know this because my grandparents live in Paducah, which if I recall correctly is not too far away.

also, Ch. 2 of Summer Storm: A Twilight Continuation / Spin-Off has been submitted for approval, so be on the lookout...

taylorf463 GOLD, Marion, Kentucky

If he'll lie for you, he'll lie to you.

Thanks! And I LOVE romance, so i couldn't imagine writing a story w/o it! :)

on Jun. 25 2010 at 5:18 am
Inherinerd GOLD, Ashland, Ohio

A word to the wise ain't nessecary it's the stupid ones that need the advise

I am a big fan of dialouge and romance so i really love your story so far, i also realy like the ending sentence to this one!!