Blue Rival, Yellow Bunny | Teen Ink

Blue Rival, Yellow Bunny MAG

By Just_Another_Tree_Hugger BRONZE, Wethersfield, Connecticut
Just_Another_Tree_Hugger BRONZE, Wethersfield, Connecticut

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

It’s staring at me again, the foul little temptress. It sits on the desk, cheap, smirking as if to say, “Yeah, your man spends more time with me, and he complains about you all day. What you gonna do about it?”

It thinks it’s so much better than me. Of course, it doesn’t know what I’ve been planning. It doesn’t know I’ve been practicing the skills to conquer it. All I have to do is bide my time and wait for the perfect moment.

I study its ugliness. It’s a repulsive shade of blue, as if powder blue drank a gallon of iced tea and puked … no, even that’s too good. It has my boyfriend’s name tattooed across its cover. I want to walk over and rip it off. Maybe then I could see beneath its exterior and into its abysmal soul.

“Hey, honey, I think I’m going to write for a bit,” my boyfriend says. He must sense the conflict between me and the blue demon. I would like to scream in protest, but I have no rational excuse for an objection. The trollop looks over at me, smug, because, once again, my sweet, wonderful Scott is choosing it in favor of playing with my hair while we watch a James Bond movie.

Yes, I’m filled with all kinds of doubts and insecurities and my arch nemesis is my boyfriend’s stupid blue notebook. But it’s really not as pathetic as it sounds.

You see, I’m dyslexic. I can hardly read Dr. Seuss. I could have gotten help and learned to read earlier like most dyslexic people, but my parents refused to believe there was a problem. Scott’s supportive and all that junk. He even convinced me to go to some special class for a little while, but I deemed it a lost cause and stopped going. I mean, I’m 16; if I was meant to read, I would be able to by now.

I had no regrets about this decision until last week, when Scott brought that thing home. Now, he spends all his time just scribbling away in his notebook. He doesn’t even say what he’s writing about. I can’t tell if it’s a diary or a poetry book. He could be a drug dealer, keeping records of his clients … or worse, he could be complaining about me.

There’s a possibility I’m just paranoid. He could just be releasing his inner writer. But he’s never even expressed an interest in anything like that before. Scott has always been a math and science kind of guy. That’s why my curiosity has grown to the point of near insanity.

“I’m going to go make a sandwich. You want anything, babe?” Scott asks, standing up.

“No, thank you,” I answer quickly. I wait patiently until the door closes behind him and then I spring to my feet. Finally, the moment has arrived to set my plan in action. I’m going to overcome this little monster once and for all. I’ve been practicing some exercises I learned in my old class and I’m absolutely determined to read this blue devil. I lift the notebook off its pedestal and smirk at it. It won’t be keeping secrets from me anymore. I turn the cover and read the first page.

At first, I’m absolutely dumbfounded. I have to wonder for a moment if these sentences are real, or if my dyslexia is messing them up. “The yellow bunny curiously roams the forest” is written over and over again on the first page.

Other peculiar phrases are written throughout: “Brian eats the marshmallows next to the campfire,” and “Lions sleep peacefully in the grass.”

I’m at a complete loss for words until I reach the last page. There’s a simple note scribbled in Scott’s handwriting.

“Hello, my love. I knew you wouldn’t be able to resist. Good job practicing, I’m proud of you.”

Oh, that little blue trickster ….

singinginthegardn GOLD, Cowell, Massachusetts

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." ~Anaïs Nin

This is spectacular!! Wow...I want a guy like that :D!! LOOOOVEEE THIS!!! <333

PhoenixCrossing GOLD, Tinley Park, Illinois
This is priceless! I love love love it!

Emmazing GOLD said...
Emmazing GOLD, Alexandria, Virginia

I'm simply complicated.

Wow! I really loved this! I thought the whole thing was unique and unexpected! Good job!

Queena SILVER said...
on Jun. 25 2011 at 12:43 am
Queena SILVER, East Hanover, New Jersey

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."

sooooooooooo cute! made me smile! :)

singingwriter14 BRONZE, Chester, New York

"Some days you're the statue. Some days you're the pigeon."

Oh that is just adorable! Keep up the good work! :-)

xX_so-confused_Xx PLATINUM, Renton, Washington
Love it! Super cute!

on Apr. 24 2011 at 7:26 am
lucybrown SILVER, Blacksburg, Virginia

The wastebasket is a writer's best friend. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

First things first, but not necessarily in that order. ~ From Doctor Who

Aw, so sweet!  This is a really creative idea, and I love the characters you've created!  Congrats on also getting in the magazine!

Keep up the good work!

FatesMistake13, Springerville, Arizona

"Most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes." Oscar Wilde

"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame."

haha i love this :)

on Apr. 16 2011 at 11:40 am
to.hold.the.sun SILVER, Maryville, Tennessee

"You spend your whole life stuck in the labyrinth, thinking about how you'll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it. You just use the future to escape the present." -John Green

This is so cute! Such a "feel good" story! :)

JustAnotherDay. BRONZE, Andover, Ohio

Stephen Fry - There are many people out there that will tell you that "you can't". What you've got to do is turn around and say, "watch me."

That was really good :) nice job

crunchyginger18 GOLD, Lawrence, Kansas

"Life Imitates Art" Lana Del Rey

Can't stop smilin'! Really Good!

cieramist GOLD said...
cieramist GOLD, Orlando, Florida

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." ~ Henry Ford

This is so clever! I love it - great job.

MadiBird PLATINUM, Warrenton, Virginia

"Hate isn't the opposite of love. Indifference is the opposite of love. Because if you hate, you still care."

I love this! It's so sweet, and I love how you keep the blue rival's identity a secret for a while. Great job with the title name too...I always find that to be the hardest when writing. =P

grahamsta97 SILVER, Medford Lakes, New Jersey

"William, I am trying to listen to you, but it's so difficult because of that hair! Every time I look at it, I expect racist Disney characters to leap out of it and start singing about living on the balliou!"
-Jane Lynch, as Sue Sylvester on Glee :D

this is ADORABLE :)

Padfoot95 SILVER, North Vancouver, Other

Everyone is the age of their heart.

Very clever :) Cute.

CrazyWriter GOLD, Lorton Station, Virginia

"Once you have given up on the most important thing in your life, you begin to die, because then, you gradually lose your true self"~Hana Kimi
"Someone who can lie to themself. . . is lonely, and in pain"~Hana Kimi

Beautifully written. Itkeep me into it, drawling me into the story. Realistic,clever,thoughtful and genious. I wish things like this woud happen more often in the world.

~cRazYWrItEr~ 

kelliejo19 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
WOW haha I love this!!! keep it up!!! this was ABSOULTLY amazin'!

franc BRONZE said...
franc BRONZE, Dexter City, Ohio

it's not peer pressure, it's just your turn!
live from the past live in the present live for the future
you never forget the face of the person who saved your life (not personal but GREAT book)

i loved this! expecially because im one who writes in an old ratty tablet all day and it drives my boyfriend INSANE that he can't read it.  but he can't read it because i don't let him. but this was fantastic. and btw, i add "trollop" to my impecable word box... (:

TheSorcerersStone GOLD, Wayne, New Jersey

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

--Sirius Black

Great Creativity!

on Nov. 14 2010 at 6:00 am
BurningRose SILVER, New Fairfield, Connecticut

I dunno.

I LOVE THIS! thanks for posting on my story JH...it really means a lot because youre so accomplished!!! the magazine...WOW!!! YOU DESERVE IT! <33