EC+AM=4ever Chapter 49: THE END | Teen Ink

EC+AM=4ever Chapter 49: THE END

March 20, 2010
By TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
183 articles 7 photos 484 comments

Favorite Quote:
He's the one I call in the middle of the night. He's the one who makes everything alright. He loves me with no regret...I just haven't found him yet.


December 21, 2009
6:00 p.m.
Ash’s House


“Dinner’s ready!” I called out into the living room. Ash’s mom stood up from the couch, setting her book down and walked into the kitchen.

“Mm, smells good.” she complimented.

“Thanks,” I replied. “I made lasagna.” We both sat down at the kitchen table and began eating. When the doctors had let her go home from the hospital, I volunteered to be the one to take care of her. So I moved in next door, at what was Ash’s house.

I was close to my parents still, only one house away from them to be exact, so they came over often and vice versa. However, I was also taking classes online for college. That way, I could stay at my new home with Ash’s mom, my mother-in-law, and still “go to college” at the same time.

I also worked part-time at Sadie’s to help pay for the rent, but my parents helped out too. However, once the lease was up, we’d both be moving back to my house. She just didn’t want to, and I quote, “waste her house”. So we came to the agreement that we would both live here until the lease was up.

She took a bite of her food and lick her lips. “It tastes good too.”

“Thank you, I’m glad you like it.” I said.

We both finished our dinner and then I stood up to take care of the dishes. “I’m kind of tired.” she announced. “I think I’m going to go to sleep early tonight.”

“Ok,” I rejoined. So I walked her up to her room. I waited outside her bedroom door as she changed into her nightgown. Everyday, I had to lay her clothes out for her, because she couldn’t remember which drawer everything was in. When she opened her door, announcing that she was ready, I led her to her bed.

She climbed in and I pulled the covers up over her body, leaving her head sticking out. “I’ll be right back.” I informed her. “I’m going to get your medicine.”

So I walked into the hallway bathroom and opened up the medicine cabinet, pulling out the small box of Aricept and taking out two small pills. Then I grabbed the small glass cup sitting on the sink’s vanity and filled it with water from the sink.

I took the medication and the water to her room and handed them both to her. She sat up in her bed and took each pill separately, washing them down with a gulp of water each time. Then she handed me the empty cup and I turned to walk out of the room.

“Wait,” she called out.

I turned back to face her again. “What is it?”

“Where’s Ash?” she asked. “I want to say goodnight to him.” This was the hardest thing about living with her. The Alzheimer’s caused her to continue to forget that Ash was no longer alive. So almost every day she would ask me where Ash was. And almost every day I had to remind her that he was dead.

“Ash isn’t alive anymore, remember?” I said like always.

Her face contorted into a sad, disappointed, empty expression. “He’s dead?”

I nodded, “Yes.”

A few tears trickled down her cheeks, but she soon composed herself, looking up at me. “Do you miss him?”

“Very much,” I replied.

“Do you ever think about him?”

“All the time,”

“Did you love him?”

“I still do.”

She paused for a moment, looking down at the blanket spread across her body. “I wish I could remember him.”

“He remembers you.” I told her.

“How? He’s dead.” she said.

“Yeah, but now he’s up in Heaven with all the angels. And he’s looking down on us and protecting us. He saved you from that coma.”

She smiled and looked up at the ceiling, “Thank you, Ash. When I die, I’ll come up to Heaven and thank you in person.”

I grinned, a tear rolling down my face. “Why don’t we say goodnight to him?” I suggested.

She nodded, approving of this idea. “Goodnight, Ash.” she said, looking up at the ceiling again.

“Goodnight, Ash.” I repeated after her, also staring up at the ceiling. “I love you.” Then I walked out of her room and into my own. And when I got inside, I walked over to the window and stared out. Looking right into my old room.
THE END

Author's Note: So what did you guys think of the ending? Also, keep your eyes peeled because I'll be posting the 1st chapter of the sequel to EC+AM=4ever soon.


The author's comments:
So what did you guys think of the ending? Also, keep your eyes peeled because I'll be posting the 1st chapter of the sequel to EC+AM=4ever soon.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 58 comments.


on May. 10 2012 at 1:13 pm

I can't believe he died! i was sitting in school and read that and everybody asked me why i was crying! :'( so sadd! it made me think of what I'd do if my love died!! Barely get to see him enough as it is!

 

 

Amazing book though! You are a very talented writer!!


fireswatter said...
on Dec. 21 2011 at 12:58 am
fireswatter, Denver, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I cannot sleep unless I am surrounded by books.”
― Jorge Luis Borges

its 2am i started reading this in the evening... i was hooked. great story ( oh just one thing its "me neither" not "me either")

on Nov. 19 2011 at 8:09 am

Amazing! What inspired you to write this story? Cuz the supense is crazy good. I'm also writing a novel but sometimes I get stuck and tht just sux. You're really awesome! But I didn't cry though. Nvm, my tears are always rare. Expensive, some people call it. LOL 

Anyways, I'm team Cole all the way. Ash was just too complicated. This might sound harsh but I'm glad you took him out of the picture haha.

Also, if you don't mind sharing, wht do you normally do when you get stuck with a story? Like when your mind go blank all of the sudden? 

PS, thx 4 sharing the story ^_^


samwich7 said...
on Nov. 8 2011 at 7:52 am
samwich7, No, New York
0 articles 0 photos 55 comments
I sat and read this whole thing for hours and hours. Each chapter had me hooked. It wasn't Evalynne- it was me Ash had wraped around his finger. This is the most amazing thing ever. Now I'm going to go read your other stuff. :)

on Jul. 21 2011 at 8:10 pm
TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
183 articles 7 photos 484 comments

Favorite Quote:
He's the one I call in the middle of the night. He's the one who makes everything alright. He loves me with no regret...I just haven't found him yet.

thanks so much! i'm really glad u liked it(:

on Jul. 15 2011 at 6:07 pm
writemymusic33 GOLD, Dublin, Ohio
13 articles 0 photos 15 comments
wow this is amazing. i just finished the whole thing haha. i cried soo much, i really just wish ash could come back! :( i'll be sure to read your second book. you're a really great writer! keep it up:)

on Jul. 11 2011 at 9:40 pm
TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
183 articles 7 photos 484 comments

Favorite Quote:
He's the one I call in the middle of the night. He's the one who makes everything alright. He loves me with no regret...I just haven't found him yet.

you have no idea how ecstatic i am tht you like my work! haha i'm really glad you liked it, thanks so much for reading(:

Catiestar GOLD said...
on Jun. 30 2011 at 1:57 am
Catiestar GOLD, Clayton, New Jersey
17 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
You be the anchor that keeps my feet on the ground, I'll be the wings that keep your heart in the clouds <3

Oh, and it's three am. It was such a good story that I couldn't go to bed until I finished it. That's how good a writer you are.

Catiestar GOLD said...
on Jun. 30 2011 at 1:56 am
Catiestar GOLD, Clayton, New Jersey
17 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
You be the anchor that keeps my feet on the ground, I'll be the wings that keep your heart in the clouds <3

Is it bad that you've cried so many tears you can't see anymore? That's where I'm at right now. Blinded. It was such a good story, but terribly sad. I loved it, but I can't believe Ash is dead. It makes me wanna die.

on Jun. 15 2011 at 11:16 pm
TanazMasaba GOLD, Dhaka, Other
16 articles 10 photos 214 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's Heaven on Earth."













---William W. Purkey

This is THE BEST chapter throughout the book! Best of all, this is where you get out of that shell and truly mature as a writer. Before, the story has been going on a bad ride, but you've learned to smooth it out to a nice landing! Two thumbs up! Im crying so much i cant even type!

on May. 1 2011 at 2:36 pm
twix.n.pixi.stix7 GOLD, Stewartsville, New Jersey
11 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"you can dream big
or you can dream small
the important thing
is that you're dreaming at all"
~me! haha i wrote that :)

that was fantastic!!! i loved it sooo much!! i personally think the beginning & the end were the best parts...i loved how it came full circle. the middle could have done without a lot of that drama...it would be perfect if Evalynne didn't overeact to everything! please, please, please keep writing; you are amazing at it!!! =)

on Apr. 7 2011 at 5:53 pm
skoppy355 BRONZE, Arlington Heights, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life's like an hourglass glued to the table- from Breathe (2 am) by Anna Nalick

PLEASE GET PUBLISHED!!!!! :) I would love to read this as a book.  I mean, reading it online was great but there's something about having a book in ur hands, uk?

on Mar. 22 2011 at 3:35 pm
kkayla3897 BRONZE, Ogden, Utah
1 article 0 photos 39 comments

*sniff, sniff*

I can't stand this anymore and I'm glad it's over!


on Jan. 13 2011 at 2:56 pm
xXmusicluvr4lifeXx BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 56 comments
just so you know, this is my 3rd favorite novel in the whole wide world!!!! my first favorite is ec+wm=4never & my 2nd favorite is ec-am=heartbreak lol :)

on Jan. 5 2011 at 8:23 pm
SoftballismylifeBobo5 SILVER, Byron, New York
5 articles 0 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
those who mind dont matter those who matter dont mind; you will always miss 100% of the shots you dont take; forget the risk take the fall if its what you want its worth it all<3

books dont make me cry... this one did

on Dec. 30 2010 at 5:01 pm
softballfreak42 GOLD, Holmdel, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 49 comments

Favorite Quote:
-DARE TO BE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-A love story gone wrong. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a love story.
-Where there is no struggle, there is no strength.
-When writing the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen.

OMG that was such a sad ending!

I loved the whole read! The only thing I sort of had a problem with is that in the first 10 or so chapters of the story, the parents seemed a bit too agreeable... but nothing so outrageous...

GREAT JOB!!!!! =D


on Dec. 16 2010 at 3:40 pm
TeamJacobArchuleta ELITE, Chicago, Illinois
183 articles 7 photos 484 comments

Favorite Quote:
He's the one I call in the middle of the night. He's the one who makes everything alright. He loves me with no regret...I just haven't found him yet.

thank you so much! i'm really glad that you liked it :)

on Dec. 16 2010 at 1:47 pm
ellyncannon PLATINUM, Mexia, Texas
29 articles 0 photos 204 comments

Favorite Quote:
That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
<3

So I know I only commented on like one chapter of this book... but I read all of it. In about two days. 

Wow..... This was really amazing!

Great plot and theme and all that stuff they teach you in English class. 

Everything flowed right and I loved every minute of it. 

I nearly cried... more than once... but I'm at school and I didn't fell like explaining why I was crying so I held it in. You are a beautiful writer. I can't wait to read more of your work. =>

Great job.... 5 stars!


on Sep. 18 2010 at 5:16 am
Mangojuice BRONZE, Seoul, Other
3 articles 0 photos 51 comments

Favorite Quote:
Yeah you did, you did a lot.

Sob Sob Sob... This is a great story. Made me want to cry. T^T

StormyNight said...
on Sep. 15 2010 at 8:51 pm
StormyNight, Yucaipa, California
0 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die!

i was crying too.. it's so sad :(

 

the ending was alright tho :)