The Question | Teen Ink

The Question

By Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York
Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York

im the author of my life, unfortunately im writing in pen therefore i can't erase nothing about it.-by some crazy friend of mine

It was a perfect day, the kind of day in which you don’t want to think about anything or no one. The kind of days when there’s no other sound other than the chirping of birds and the wind. It was a day In which you could fall in love and not be scared for what the future would hold for you. It was perfect, I completely forgot about my surroundings, I decided to write all my feelings down into the screen of my laptop. It wasn’t new to me I simply let my feelings and thoughts run off of me into my fingers which would then do all the work for me. As much as I loved to write, I just didn’t feel like moving, the wind was blowing in my face—a very refreshing breeze—and the sun hurt my gaze, but it didn’t bother me. I liked the warmth it covered me in. Besides I felt graceful, which was a first, I usually either felt normal or a total slouch. If it could only always be like this, my hair was probably the only thing I liked about myself. Not to be conceited but it was beautiful. From far away you would think it black, but under the sunlight it was a deep rich brown, and at that moment I wondered how I looked. In any way I was stress free ,the music on my ears was loud but in a way relaxing as well. What would it be like? What would it be like to be a flower, or a three in this park? Would I feel this every day? Oh how beautiful and exquisite that would be. I sighed deeply, and forced my self to write, ‘cause if I didn’t, the thoughts and feeling would go away, and I wanted to capture the moment.
As I was about to start my fourth paragraph, I felt someone poking me in the shoulder. And boy was I scared, I nearly jumped out of my seat. I was about to face this person who thought it right to interrupt someone when they were not only writing but also sneaking up on them. So I quickly composed the scariest face I could manage. I took off my headphones and narrowed my gaze, but the so called scary face quickly grew compassionate and nervous. It was a guy, he looked the same age as me, now I know what you’re probably thinking, he was a cute guy and so I didn’t care anymore. Well you were close, he was cute, his hair was curly—messy, but cute—brown eyes, and the most sensual and fullest lips I’ve ever seen, but above the looks, this guy was crying. Yes he was crying, and I know that through our childhood we were made believe that boys don’t cry, even though I myself don’t believe that. So anyway, he was crying, his face was covered in tears, and that made his lips even redder. I licked my lips--sorry but I’m only a teenage girl, what can I do—he stared back at me. I heard my own voice kind of crack at the corners “C-can I help you?”
He only stared at me and I noticed he tried his best to keep from crying, he cleared his throat “I’m sorry, but you were the only person I saw and…well I know it sounds weird coming from a total stranger, but I need someone to talk to.”
What was this guy’s deal? Did he think that I was that stupid to believe the fact that he needed someone, I suddenly grew worried and put one hand on my phone and the other went on the keys which had a mini can of pepper spray. “I’m really sorry but I don’t know you, and I think it best if you left.”
He had an amused look and I saw one side of his lips lift up. “I’m not going to hurt you; I just wanted to ask you a question.” He raised one of his hands and without even thinking I sprayed his face with pepper spray. “Ooooouch, I was raising my hands to stop you from doing anything, I wasn’t going to hurt you! Ouch my eyes.” His hands covered his face, but I finally believed him, ‘cause he wasn’t running away , and because I think I kind of overreacted.
I tried pulling his hands away, but he was simply too strong, I don’t even think he noticed my effort. “Here wash your face with water,” I grabbed my water bottle and poured some water into his hands. “I’m really sorry, but I honestly thought you were a pervert or something.”
After finishing from rubbing his eyes over and over again, he finally opened them and looked at me. “Do I look like a pervert to you?” I opened my mouth, but he held his hand up to stop me. “No never mind I don’t want to know. Are you sure that’s pepper spray, it feels like bleach.”
“Actually I don’t know I didn’t buy it, honestly I’m sorry. Tell you what ill let you ask me that question.” That’s the least I could do for this poor guy, after what I’ve done.
He pretended to think it over, which was pretty cute if you ask me. “Ok fine, but only if you promise not to spray me again.” I crossed my fingers to show him I wouldn’t and raised my eyebrows waiting for him to proceed. “Ok, so think it over, had you ever gotten your heart broken?”
I gave out a little chuckle; this guy was asking me if I have ever had my heart broken? What a very worthless question. He looked at me with dead serious eyes. “Yes,” I replied.
“Ok, did it hurt?” I nodded, but the thing was that it was instinctively, I really didn’t want to sit and discuss my love life with a total stranger. “Yeah, it sucks doesn’t it?” It wasn’t a question, more like a statement. And he stared at the floor for a long amount of time.
I figured eh wouldn’t talk anymore so I turned my gaze towards the screen of my lap top. Great he ruined my buzz. I went from feeling prefect to depressed. So I tried my best to bring back the feelings, but all I got was gloom and desolation. I looked in front of me, he was still there.

***
It had been a whole hour, and I still kept on getting melancholy. As if that weren’t enough, the guy was still there. I kept on writing, besides if he wanted to keep on staring at the floor that was his loss. Yet I couldn’t stand to see him like that, he looked like someone had forgotten him, laughed at his face and kicked him. His stare was empty, and from time to time in pain. You don’t care, it’s none of your business, my mind kept on telling me, but I just couldn’t get him off of my mind. When I finally did get him out, I was trying to think about something about my book. The characters were kind of week and I tried to think of ways to improve them. What I changed the setting?
“My girlfriend broke up with me.” I raised my head to face him. “I thought we were perfect, but she said she wasn’t ready for anything serious. I mean neither was I, but that wasn’t a reason to break up.”
I cleared my throat to buy me some time in what to say. “Maybe she simply didn’t want anything too serious. She’ll come back.”
“There’s someone else, I know it. “
“Was that why you were crying?” Oops.
He looked at me, that blank stare again. “Yes,” his voice was rough and quiet. “I must of freaked you out, didn’t i?”
I smiled the littlest of my smiles, “yeah, I thought you were some runaway or something.” Wow this conversation was easy, it came out naturally, it wasn’t like those she had with other people. “Oh, by the way the name’s Alexis. “
He gave a smile, the kid looked tired, must have been of the crying. “Cristofer, with an f.” He extended his hand and I shook it, wow his hands were seriously warm, his hand covered my whole hand. “Sorry about before, that was pretty weird huh.”
“It’s OK,” I debated whether to ask him or not to, “So did this girl really hurt you?” Yes I asked it. “I mean were you seriously in love with her?”
“Yeah, but she didn’t feel the same way.” I saw him fiddling with his hands and I got a bad feeling about that. “So what happened with you?”
I knew something bad was going to happen, I mean I kind of liked this guy, he would be a good friend. “Well at least you got to kiss the girl, and hold her you didn’t get rejected.” I smiled bitterly.
I saw him tense up a little bit. “Oh, I see, so was he like your best friend?” I nodded, he nodded to himself. “Well you are right. Sorry I brought it up.”
I turned back to my lap top, forget it forget it, I kept on telling my self, but I could have been talking to a wall for all it worked. “So do I et to know how I happened?” He had the nerve to actually ask me. “No,” I responded in a cold voice. I kept on writing tying to ignore the fact that he was there.
“I told you about me.” Why couldn’t he just let it go?
“I’m not telling you.” I glanced at my phone; I was an hour late, wow time passed when more quickly than when I wrote. “I have to go.”
“Hey can I walk you home? I mean that’s the least I can do.” I debated the question, sure I after all I live on an apartment i doubt hell know what floor and number. I nodded.
“Cool, hey do you come here every day?” I didn’t but it looked like I was going to.

the idea came out of the nowhere, when i was in the park.

Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York

thanks and i of course ill comment on ur new article

elfiewrites BRONZE, Hillsdale, New Jersey

"The seat of knowledge is in the head, of wisdom, in the heart."~William Hazlitt
"Be yourself, everyone else is taken."

i love this! you are an excellent writer! Please, if you get the chance, comment on my newest article, "Is There Reason?" Much appreciated. Keep on writing!

Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York

thanks im working on that 

Sweatheart SILVER, BPT, Connecticut

I can do anything

really nice story i really got intrigued by the characters and now i really wanna know about alexis heartbroken story

justbe-3 said...
justbe-3, Hollis, New Hampshire

"You live but once, you might as well be amusing." -Coco Chanel
"Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't." -Richard Bach
"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love." -Einstein

that was so good! your a great author. :)

Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York

yeah i know its because when correcting it on the computer, the computer totally changed my words and stuff like that, and thanks i appriciate the suggestion

monicalillian SILVER, Holladay, Utah

"forgive your enemies, nothing bugs them more."

i like it, just make sure to put in all the apostraphes etc...cuz right now it says he'll minus the '